The tsf channel's expedition jeep wj build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The tsf channel's expedition jeep wj build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

The tsf channel's expedition jeep wj build

And now it begins...

By way of an introduction, I'm a 23-year Army vet, a former tank commander, platoon sergeant, and Observer/Controller at NTC. Now, I'm a military contractor and run a modest, tactical gear channel on Youtube, The TSF Channel.

The TSF Channel differs from most in the genre because I concentrate on quality and presentation of information, something that comes easy as a long-time Army trainer and film school graduate. My photography outclasses most of what you'll see outside corporate sponsored channels, even though I have a crew of one: me.

Last year, I stated I wanted to build an expedition rig from a WJ, to support a new show I'm developing called, American Expedition. You can watch the trailer
here.

Full disclosure: that spot was edited from a bunch of Ray Mears shows, simply as a teaser. Here's a sneak peak at the current state of what I'm doing, from The TSF Channel Facebook page.

For American Expedition, I want to concentrate on the historical context of American bushcraft, exploring the American outback to discover how we lived off the grid before there was a grid, consequently becoming the ultimate guide for preppers.

ANYWAY... Now that the expedition vehicle has been secured, I feel I can legitimately ask my questions as another fellow on this journey. I look forward to seeing y'all out on the trail.

For more on my background watch these. Feel free to share (AND LIKE, AND SUB). Some cool tank gunnery footage in there:

Now on to the build...

Last edited by TSF_Films; 03-27-2014 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: links didn't take
TSF_Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

And now it starts...

I recently paid off my lame daily driver, and suddenly had the fundage to bag a WJ. Like I said, I've been lurking here a while, researching, and finally decided on a WJ. I could have easily gone with a 4Runner, but nah! The show is called American Expedition. No rice burners, thanks.

So I found this thing, a 1999 WJ, rotting in the harsh sun in a lot full of has beens...
img_20140321_153258.jpg  

Last edited by TSF_Films; 03-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: clarification
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

After I knocked off the California coastal crust, it seems I bagged a clean ride. The miles are admittedly HIGH. But the engine doesn't knock and there's no rust underneath. $4100 worth of balls! I forgot about the V8 experience driving my 4-cylinder economy car for so long.

Still, those wheels beg for depussification...
img_20140324_185043.jpg  
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

Online I went. The plan is to get the IRO 6.5" Long Arm Lift on Cooper STTs. Unfortunately when I got her home, the MIL came on. I was hit with the infamous P0505 trouble code. After another $100 for a new IAC and TPS, I was back in business.

I also replaced the hood and rear glass support arms, along with tearing apart the tail lights and tweaking the contacts for the brake light bulbs, for that positive contact they need so well (sorry, no pics).

I decided, instead of the lift kit, to have the engine completely checked out. Last thing I need is to be in Death Valley, wheeling with my kid... Anyway, it'll probably be a pretty penny at the shop, so I chose to buy the wheels for the final project vehicle, and to shoe 'em with temps, some used tires for cheap, I can switch out later.

For wheels, I chose (5) Pro Comp 7069-7973, 17x9s from Autoplicity.com. Cost, $593 shipped from IL to CA for $8 after online discounts. They arrived 2 days after purchase.

For tires, I went to Mexican Tires in Victorville. I asked for size only, 265/70R17. Turns out he had 4 serviceable BFG TA KOs! @ $20/ea, I scored big-time.

Brand-used tires with new Pro Comps, including before and after...
img_20140327_123427.jpg   img_20140327_121540.jpg   img_20140327_125633.jpg  

Last edited by TSF_Films; 03-27-2014 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

Tire troubles

Instant muscle!

But there was a problem. I read somewhere on here, a thread regarding the largest size tire you can put on a WJ without a lift. I guess I misread it. I asked around. One of the guys I work with owns Jeep Asylum on YouTube, a nice custom jeep shop in the Hi-Desert. I even sized em up before hand.

You can see the issue here...
img_20140327_125758.jpg  
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #6
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

Just go straight!

Yeah, right. We trimmed some fender on the front of the wheel well. I was going to do that anyway. I was able to turn the wheel L & R from 4-8 o'clock. Not good when you have to take the streets to the freeway. The new tire size gets the death wobble at 40MPH, but goes away at highway speeds.

I'll have to bust out the Dremel to do a proper bumper chop. Back to the research for me. Meantime, she's looking rather manly after the sex change operation. Like they say, it's the shoes that make the man...
img_20140327_134255.jpg  
Unread 09-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

Finally started a video thread for the build.

More coming soon.

Last edited by TSF_Films; 09-16-2014 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Video wouldn't post
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
TSF_Films
The TSF Channel

1999 WJ 

Ah-hah!

Finally fixed the video issue...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.