TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Jeepforum Manastash Run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Jeepforum Manastash Run

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 11-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Jeepforum Manastash Run

Ok, many of you may have seen my pictures from Manastash before during the summer. As we move into fall, the character of Manastash ridge is changing. I was very surprised to see the difference a mere 4 weeks makes. This run was made with three other members here on the jeepforums. The four of us met up with Ron, a local who lives in close to the trails.

Click here for the full trip report. The complete photo album can be access here. Some exerpts and teaser pics are below:

Quote:
Finally we came to our first big mud puddle. It was an interesting sight. The top froze over and snow settled on the ice creating what appeared to be a very flat surface (Fig. 7). Being in the lead I put the TJ in drive and drove forward, crunching down through the ice and plowing through the water and mud. The TJ didnt even slow down, it just marched right through the puddle followed by everyone else.
Quote:
Soon the Tripod Flats became much more challenging. Snow packed down into a slick roadbed played havoc with traction. I ended up spinning tires again and had to back up. After 10 minutes and another backward slide off the trail (Fig. 16) Ron turned the Toyota around and drew out a winch line. After a few minutes we had everyone ready to go again and rolled onward to Tripod Flats.
Quote:
The early afternoon air was very serene when we broke from the tree cover and crossed Tripod Flats. To our right some hunters set up camp at the shelter along the meadows edge. Tendrils of smoke curled up from the stovepipe poking out of the canvas roof.
Quote:
Just in from the tree line a number of gnarly muddy ruts greeted the convoy as we slogged our way through these. We didnt get far before the steep grade and snow slowed our progress yet again.
Quote:
This time I finally got to inaugurate my new winch. It was a trick rigging set up where we attached the snatch block to a tree beside the trail. Then we doubled the line back 160 deg, across a turn, and over the hill to attach it to James who was two Jeeps behind me.

Ron climbing up a hill among the larch trees.

Crashing through an ice layer floating atop a mud puddle.

Traction issues, preparing to draw out the winch line.

Unread 11-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup / pictures. It is amazing what a little snow does to that trail. Heres pics from when a few of us eastsiders did the 307/funny rocks/570 run.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup / pictures. It is amazing what a little snow does to that trail. Heres pics from when a few of us eastsiders did the 307/funny rocks/570 run.

http://www.pnw4wda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1664

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Wheelman

Cool Pics!
Unread 11-03-2004, 04:34 PM   #5
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

awesome picture... you oughta sell that to jeep for a brochure

lj
Unread 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As always nice pictures lupinsea.

I like these two pictures

--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
mookarma

great pictures guys! not many opportunities to do things like that here in FL! but i mean, come on, why werent you going topless on such a pretty day?!?!
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why don't we go topless? Cuz it's frigg'n cold! The temp was a few deg above freezing when we started. I thought Ron was nutz driving his Landcruiser: no doors, no windsheild, no top, no heater!

Thanks guys. I compiled pictures form a few different people since my camera went kaput. I dropped it in the mud of Evan's Creek on the last outing down there.
Unread 11-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
I FLEX

Hey Jay,

Nice write-up, if was definitely a great trip. I wish I could have gone with you to Lake Isabell. Well maybe next time once you get your T-case fixed.
I FLEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.