TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Evan's Creek in WA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Evan's Creek in WA

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TRIP REPORT & PICTURES: Evan's Creek in WA

And another experience to share with everyone on the forums here. A recent over-night expedition with my local Jeep Club down to Evan's Creek, a popular local ORV park at the base of Mt. Rainier. Enjoy the excerpts and the teaser pics below:

The full Evan's Creek trip report is available, as is the full photo album.

Quote:
On the last steep hill climb everyone took the right hand route up the hill since it looked the most challenging. I popped in the back right fender on a tree root. Nick brought up the rear and managed to pop in the same fender on the same turn, though he didn't need to back up (Fig. 1). At the top of the hill we paused briefly to inspect the damage (Fig. 2).
Quote:
On the last hill climb Scott managed to pop a bead and blew out his tire (Fig. 3). The tire looked pretty mangled but he was calm as he could be. In no time Micah had a winch line strung up a tree that Scott used to winch the front end off the ground. His on-board air proved very helpful re-seating and re-inflating the tire in a matter of minutes (Fig. 4).
Quote:
The Club found their Toyota pick-up leaning at a severe angle ready to drop off a 60 ft cliff (Fig. 13). The only thing keeping it from going over was the inside sidewall of the front right tire and the last 4" of bed that slammed into a tree. If the corner of the pick-up bed hadn't caught the tree they would have found themselves at the bottom in a lot of pain.
Quote:
Jeff continued his Wagon Master duties leading the pack of 5 through the night. At times it was hard to keep up with him as he blasted down the mountain. Who knew such a quiet guy was the Mario Andrettie of trail rigs?! I'm sure glad he knew where he was going. Finally, at 2am the group rolled back into the camp and got some sleep.
Quote:
Seth gave 'er 'ell as he revved his TJ high, spinning wheels, and scrambling over any obstacle in his path. Namely the gnarly rock outcropping that had surprised me the previous night. I was duly impressed with his tenacious driving on the trails. After much wheel spinning and watching the rock eat his factory side step he eventually made it to many cheers and shouts of triumph.
Quote:
With some careful negotiation and patience I eventually worked my way through this short section. Behind me Seth had gotten the Hot Wheels Jeep wedged between some trees while I inspected ahead on foot. Scott quickly winched him out so he give it another shot. In the process his other factory side step had been torn off.

Threading through the trees

Scott popped his bead

Posing atop a rock pile on the back side of the park

This guy needed serious help from our Club

Unread 11-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
cmoore
2001 TJ Wrangler 

PNWJEEP is heading up there again on the 13th. You ought to come out with us. Who knows maybe we'll have some snow by then.

www.pnwjeep.com
98 XJ:4.0, AW4, HP30/8.25 4.56 Spartan/LSD, alloy shafts & joints, HD steer, SYE/CV, skids, RADesigns gated shifter, RE mix n match lift, 35"mt/rs, THOR guards F&R, weld-in custom rockers & stiffeners, custom front bumper, orfab rear bumper, THOR cowl induction, on board air, on board welder, etc
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
jeepin_coug

Did you hear about the roll over up there in Oct.? Some girl had to be airlifted.
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
sbninja
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pics! You really have some nice places to wheel in your parts, Lupinsea.

PS I could be wrong, but Jeff's rig looks like an FJ40 Toyota LandCruiser (Father had six of em, gave me one to drive in high school ) -- A long time ago
15x8 Tech1 Rock Crawlers (4.5" BS)
35"x12.50x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Aussie locked 30/ Ultimate 35 kit w/detroit

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #49
See Jeep Here
And here
sbninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
JeepN2

Nice report Lup..how is that Antirock working out for you onroad? Is the "added" sway on road a problem? Hope to get out your way one weekend.
Happy JeepN
07 Blue Compass 4x4
JeepN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone!

It'll be a while before I'm back on the trail since I toasted my t-case this past weekend on another trail run (I'll post pictures soon ). Snap some pix of Evan's Creek for me, will ya Cmoore?

The Anti-rock is working out great, JeepN2! I love it. There is definitely more body roll on road but I really don't notice it any more. The TJ will lean further in the corners but the Anti-rock does work as a swaybar and once the Jeep takes a set does just fine. After about a month of driving mostly on the weekends I don't really notice it on there any more. Yet I get a lot of wheel travel and I don't have to touch it coming and going from the trails. That a lone makes it worth it in my opinion, especially if's it's cold and raining out and you're Jeep is covered in mud! Offroad it really helps with traction by balancing the TJ's body movements between the front/rear axles. Our club president says he really dislikes the feel of his TJ on the trail with ONLY the front swaybar disconnected. Says the body is all over the place and it's not always convenient to disco the rear swaybar.

Yeah, Jeff has a Landcruiser with a 500 ci Cadilac V8 under the hood. It's pretty raw but does well. Lockers at both ends, I think.

I hadn't heard about the girl but I'm not surprised. The guys we met Friday night nearly lost their Toyota p/u down the 60th cliff because they'd been drinking. They had 3-4 beers right before hitting the trail in pitch black night conditions, but hey, they were "only a little buzzed." Sometimes people do some foolish things and get themselves hurt. I really hope she's ok, though.
Unread 11-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
jeepin_coug

I've seen a lot of drunk people up at Evans. The lady rolled a couple times in a sami. She didn't have a harness on and started to fall out of the sami. Broke her pelvis in 4 places, broken femur, split spleen.

I'm over in Pullman right now at WSU. A group of us are doing a run at Evans over Thanksgiving break. If you go up again before then let me know how the snowlevel is. Thanks
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.