"Trigger" my rubihara #592 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Trigger" my rubihara #592

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

"Trigger" my rubihara #592

In june of 2010, I found myself looking for a set of wheels for the wife to drive for a while.
I was mostly looking for a wj for her. We went to look at one, but it was sold.
While we were there, she mentioned an lj or 4dr jk could work for her. BONUS!
So looking at wjs went out the window, and the lj search began! Jks need not apply.
I wanted to spend about 15k, and it have pretty low miles. That was tough to find.

Not long after the search began I stumbled on to an auto trader add, at a local toyota dealer.
drove there immediately! They had no idea what they were selling. To them it was just another jeep. They were about to close. I walked in and said "I want the wrangler, here Is a grand to hold it". "Where are the keys, I wanna drive it" . The next day I picked it up for 16k out the door. Every other rubicon lj I saw was over 20k, most near 25k. It was exactly what I wanted! Loaded, dual tops, new kenwood tuner, new tires, and breaks. The best part was, it was traded in the day before, by an older guy from colorado. so no michigan salt!

Here it is at the dealership, the day I picked it up.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Im trying to build it right, yet stay on budget! That is not easy!
I have been buying parts for about 3 years, and the build is just starting.
When I bought it, it had 70,000 miles, was bone stock, and had never been off road.
I met the previous owner at the toyota dealer when I picked it up.
he was having some service done to the fj cruiser he traded it in on.
Nice guy, in his mid 60s. He never took the top or doors off. The soft top was brand new, never installed.
This will b a slow build, updates will be slow too. Just wanted a place to save pics and stories.

The first think I did was buy the complete set of husky liners. Pricey, but the carpets are still mint.

The next thing was rugged ridge seat covers. Cheap junk, but they fit like a glove!

While the seats were out, I added a 1.75" seat riser kit. I hated the low slung seats, im too short already.

While I was at it, I added four roll bar grab handles. Cheap, but helpful when getting in the back seat.

I did that stuff the first couple weeks I had it.
glfwda #6624
Unread 10-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The first real trick was to get my wife out of it, before winter.
I did not want it to see michigan salt! She was not happy about this part!!!

So I bought me a beater to drive to work.

she got to drive my tow pig. V10 lariat superduty.

This is the reason my rubicon stays nice!
its an old beater, but it performs really well.
It was built by a friend of mine, he was not using it.
traded a 97 tj on 1/2 ford axles for it.
The tj was really clean, but the axles, suspension, and steering were a total mess!
3 link front. Triangulated 4 link rear.
Hp 60 front, lp sf shaved 60 rear.
5.38 gears, detroit front, spool rear.
race runner coil overs all around.
8274 with amsteel on front.
42" iroks. All cromo 35 spline shafts.
4.0L-aw4-flipped 4 to 1 d300.
was a t18 creeper 4 spd when I got it.
the engine is a 2001 cherokee c.o.p engine. Brand new, not reman.

glfwda #6624
Unread 10-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A little background sorry around the name of my rubicon.

My father got me into jeeps as a very young boy. He had a 74 cj5 with a 390 go pack motor, on scout axles, with 35s.

My father was a gunsmith by trade
he mostly built very high dollar safari rifles.
our last name is Trager, but every one called him "trigger".
its also the name of roy rogers horse.

So my jeep is named after my father "Trigger"
He was very cool, I miss him!
glfwda #6624
Unread 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was looking for bumpers. I did not wanna drop the coin on them though.
Im no fabricator! I have basic welding skills, but never did it much.
I wanted a very stubby front bumper, with 2 d rings, a 2" receiver, and a winch mount.
I started by buying an a to z fab bumper mount kit for the front, but it was a little wide.
I bought a bunch of 2x4x3/16s steel. I then narrowed the mount.
I cut the 2x4 tube to my desired width, then counter sunk the d ring tabs, and hitch.
The hitch and d rings are welded to the front and rear of the bumper, then also the bumper mount.
they aint coming off! I dont have a close up picture in my phone, but here is a pic.
glfwda #6624
Unread 10-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been collecting parts for about 3 years. Alot of used stuff, but mostly high quality stuff.
during that time I got extremely lucky! Jcr off road makes some great stuff, and are really nice guys!
They were designing rock sliders for the lj, and needed a test mule for a few days. I happen to have one I can spare!
I dropped off my lj to them. They make, fit, and install a really nice set of sliders with tube steps at no cost!
They really were not free, they are quire a distance from me. I paid for gas. Im guessing about $150 in gas, and a good portion of two days. Definately the best $150 I ever spent! They actually used pics of my rig on their site for advertising.
I usually dont think much of product reviews from people that get free parts, but I really like them!
I guess im a complete hypocrite! Sue me!

Dont look at the tires, rims, or back bumper. Those come later.
glfwda #6624

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.