"Traxx" -- a 91 YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Traxx" -- a 91 YJ build

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Sledgeinaz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

"Traxx" -- a 91 YJ build

Had this YJ for about 5 years now. As far as I can tell it was originally sold in Indiana, then moved to Kentucky in 2000, something happened and was salvage titled in KY in 04, then brought to Arizona in 06. I originally intended it as a "cheap" vehicle for my daughter to commute to school and I'd use it occasionally for some trail riding. Ha--little did I know! Me and my son took it camping a few times, and quickly decided we wanted to do more.

My daughter named it "Traxx", since he leaves tracks whereever we go (But we do tread lightly, though). Here's what it looked like when we bought it...

Up to this point we mainly just did maintenance-type items. New exhaust manifold, cat and cat back exhaust, replaced the drive shaft and front axle u-joints, replaced the fuel injectors, and things of that nature. (Unfortunately, the first "mod" that I did was the "hood to windshield at highway speed mod...not the best one to start with!) I have a replacement hood from the junkyard and am slowly working on getting it ready to install. And also need to replace a the busted up passenger fender.

We purchased a new soft-top and replaced the BFG T/A KO's (one got torn on a trip to the KOFA wilderness near Yuma, AZ) with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs (31x10.5r15) and new Blackrock Blade 15x8 steelies with 4¾" backspacing

We'd like to eventually do a full frame off restoration (mainly to fix the rust), but that'll probably have to wait a few years. Until then, we'll do a few minor mods, and continue repairs and equipment upgrades.

Last edited by Sledgeinaz; 01-16-2012 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Photos weren't showing--fixed links
Sledgeinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Sledgeinaz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First major mod -- 2" BDS Suspension Lift

With over 202,000 miles--Traxx needed some new springs. After reading just about every post here on JF regarding YJ suspension lifts we opted to go with the 2" BDS lift kit. I decided to go the kit route since there is almost too much info to decifer and thought it would eliminate some time in deciding (even though I may wind up putting more time in after changing things out I don't like...)

I'm not going to post a thread about doing the lift per se, since there are already some very good threads about installing the 2" BDS kit. But I thought it would be good to post some pictures regarding things that I was unable to see, weren't clear to me, or weren't mentioned in other threads. (I plan to do a review on it though, just to add something more recent and offer my opinion, but may be a little while before I do)

I ordered the kit through the BDS distributor, BDM Customs in Tempe AZ (they honored the BDS discount that was currently being offered). Had it in about a week. The kit is every bit as good as folks say it is and I was expecting. Also, got a set of 5" boom shackles off of Ebay.

I started spraying down all the bolts with PB Blaster and Seafoam Deep Creep a day or so before I even ordered the kit--this REALLY helped with the installation (or should I say disassembly?)

The original springs were flat and the front shackles looked like they'd been pounded pretty good (both of them were pretty crooked)...

(just noticed from this picture that there's a nail in my tire!)

For the most part the installation was fairly easy--but as with most projects took longer than I'd planned. And, just as others have said the BDS instructions really could be better.

The number one problem we had was with the frame-to-spring mounting bolts. We had to cut through three of the four bolts, which was a pain in the rear since I had to cut on both sides of the spring to get them free. I wasn't sure about the way the brake line extensions were supposed to be installed, and couldn't find any pictures by searching JF. So, I installed the front ones like this...

and the rear one this way...

If anyone did something different I'd sure be interested in hearing about it (and seeing pictures!)

Once we got around to the rear we ran into a couple of issues. One was that the rear shackle bolts are tough to remove (I knew they would be from reading other posts, but was still an issue). You have to remove one side of the bushing and then push out the other side with the bolt in it

then remove it next to the gas tank

another issue (not huge, but slowed us down a bit)...was that the rear spring pins were too long and the springs wouldn't seat into the perches. I wound up calling BDS to confirm that it was okay if we ground down the pins and they said that "yes, sometimes the pins are too long" and it's okay to grind them (it won't cause problems with the warranty).

We got a total of 3¾" of lift overall, but I suspect it will settle in a bit over time.

Before:

After:

Last edited by Sledgeinaz; 01-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Photos weren't showing--fixed links
Sledgeinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Blackice087
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i don't know if it's just me but i can't see the pics you posted if there are any.
Blackice087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
glen6251

1998 XJ Cherokee 

same here
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Sledgeinaz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oops...I'm a noob...thought I knew how to post pictures, but obviously not!

Pretty sure I got them fixed now.
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
glen6251

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgeinaz View Post

Oops...I'm a noob...thought I knew how to post pictures, but obviously not!

Pretty sure I got them fixed now.
your good to go

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.