.The Trail Rig. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > .The Trail Rig.

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #46
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No updates. I pulled it out of the shop so I could work on my other truck and got some good pictures. I also picked up 5 fabtech shocks from a buddy of mine.

MRYJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #47
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did some garage wheelin today. lol
Pics.....(because everyone likes pics)

Unread 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #48
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So you took the time to remove the tub, do some of the body work, build a good/strong looking cage and swap in fullwidths, but left yourself with a horrific shackle angle...? That thing is going to ride like dogass, and from those pictures you can see it has next to nothing for usable droop. I'd recommend running some longer/flatter leaves if you're not going to move the shackle mounts around, unless all you plan on doing is bro-ing up some mud bogs. I know someone asked, but is that front axle a 78-79? It looks like you ground some of the cast wedges off, which is no problem on an older axle but on a 78-79 it's a structural part of the tube and I'd guarantee it's only a matter of time before there's a failure with those 38's. It looks like you're off to a decent start, and have the skills, but you ignored some of the most important aspects of the build.
99XJ 4.0/AW4/HP30/8.25 build coming soon...
www.undergroundjeeps.net
CTeunuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #49
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

I like where this build is going...
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #50
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTeunuch View Post
So you took the time to remove the tub, do some of the body work, build a good/strong looking cage and swap in fullwidths, but left yourself with a horrific shackle angle...? That thing is going to ride like dogass, and from those pictures you can see it has next to nothing for usable droop. I'd recommend running some longer/flatter leaves if you're not going to move the shackle mounts around, unless all you plan on doing is bro-ing up some mud bogs. I know someone asked, but is that front axle a 78-79? It looks like you ground some of the cast wedges off, which is no problem on an older axle but on a 78-79 it's a structural part of the tube and I'd guarantee it's only a matter of time before there's a failure with those 38's. It looks like you're off to a decent start, and have the skills, but you ignored some of the most important aspects of the build.
Yes I think that it is a 78-79. I didn't touch the cast wedges, just the old brackets. And by moving the shackles around do you mean move it to the back of the leaf rather than the front were it is now. Or could I just move were the leaf mounts to the frame, If I moved the forward I would have a better shackle angle? What is the best way to do it? Will I get any more flex by doing it?
Thanks for the input I appreciate it. Let me know what you think will work best.
Unread 05-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #51
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your best bet for more wheel travel is different/longer springs, but the cheapest way would be to move the upper shackle mount. For all around driving/wheeling what you want to see is a ~45* shackle angle, that will offer the best compromise between up/down travel. If you go shallower(more horizontal) you will end up with more down travel than uptravel, and vice versa. Since you have fab skills, and just bought new springs, I would recommend moving where the shackle bolts to the frame closer to the center pin of the spring. This will drop the rig a little as you do it, and the further you move it the more it will drop, but you can make up for that with longer shackles if the need arrives. The longer shackle will also allow for more wheel travel by creating a longer arc of travel. You may look into throwing the stock springs back in if you still have them, mount them SOA like you have, then run some longer shackles at a decent angle. This will keep you close to the height it is now, hopefully a little lower for more stability, while increasing the overall performance of the suspension. If you wanted to mess with your wheelbase, you could move the front mount of the rear spring towards the center pin instead, which would end up giving you the same end result of a better shackle angle, while adding stability by lengthening the wheelbase. Nah mean?
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO I think that it is to high. One of my stock springs were broke that is why I got new ones. I would like to put some 2.5" leafs on it and I still might if I could find a set cheap. And so what you are saying with my shackles is, I want them to be at 45*. Both my front and rear shackles. I would really like to stretch it. So I did some measuring and to get my shackles a 45* I need to move were my spring mount to the frame closer to the centering pin of the leaf spring by about 3". This would give me about 6" of stretch total witch would be great. Let me know if this sounds right, because I want this thing to perform well on the trails and get as much wheel travel as possible. I am also planning on using boom shackles.
Thanks again for the help.
Unread 05-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #53
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like you're on the right track, but be wary of how far you stretch the front, or else you'll run into issues with the steering. I don't know how far you can go on a YJ, I've never done it, but ask around in the YJ section I'm sure people know. If you're buying new springs anyway, look for longer ones, as they will help with travel as well. Here's a link to a great thread, and the 'spring bible' in it is awesome. Granted the thread itself is about XJ's, but there is a lot of useful info regardless. Take your time and compare the eye-to-eye measurement, as well as the A and B measurements so you get the right spring for your rig.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=totm
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #54
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got started on the rear stretch. Let me know how my shackle angles look now.

It hard to tell but it is at about 36*, that is under full weight. I had it a 45* but it just looked like to much of an angle.
Let me know how it looks.
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #55
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

IMO, just get some longer shackles and your good to go.

Awesome rig on a budget.
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #56
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, my plans are to run a little longer shackle.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #57
CTeunuch
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin' good! Whats the wheelbase measure now?
www.undergroundjeeps.net
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #58
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It measures around 96.5" with the rear stretch. I am hopping to have it close to 100" when the front is all done.
Unread 05-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #59
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed..........
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #60
MRYJ101
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The front stretch is pretty much done, just needs some adjustment. Now for my shackles, what should I use. I need longer ones so how much longer should I go? Should I go with boom shackles or just longer ones? if you have a good link or a pic that would be great.
Thanks for the help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.