Trail PICTURES: Lake Isabel Trail (WA State) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Trail PICTURES: Lake Isabel Trail (WA State)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-07-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Trail PICTURES: Lake Isabel Trail (WA State)

Hello again, everyone!

Last weekend I broke my transfer case while wheel'n on a local trail. It stranded my TJ 3 miles in from the trailhead overnight until I could roust some guys from my local club to help me retrieve it on a "rescue mission." Until the mechanical problems my friend and I managed to get in a good day of wheel'n. Here are the pictures.

This trail is about an hour northeast of Seattle on the edge of Gold Bar, WA. It works it's way up through a classic NW forest. The hike down the mountain was just as enjoyable as the drive up. Though I wish the t-case failure wouldn't have been the motivation for the walk.

Click here for the entire trip album.

The approach to the river crossing

Crossing the river

The traffic was definitely entertaining this day

50+ years of neglect have worked their magic on a gravel road

This waterfall makes for a nice pause in a day of wheel'n

Unread 11-08-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet pics as usual lupinsea... sorry to hear about your t-case
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 02:03 AM   #3
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like Im saying this every time you post pictures of your trips, but awesome photo's.
--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
binski
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As usual ... amazing pics ... really makes me envious being in Florida where all I see is mud, water and sand!

Now how, exactly, did you break the Xfer case? What were you doing?
binski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
Wheelman

Man, you have some pretty good photography skills !
Unread 11-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So those are the types of trails i have to look forward to when i move to WA. WOO HOOOOOO!!!

I was stationed out there for a few months once but i didnt have a Jeep yet. I knew the area was nice but MAN is that beautiful or what!?!?!?!

BTW ill be out there in a few months.....i hope. It all depends on when exactly we redeploy from the sandbox
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, thanks guys!

HokieYJ, look me up when you get back to the NW! I should have my t-case fixed by then. What part of the sandbox are you in? My cousin is serving in Kuwait right now.

Not sure exactly what caused the t-case to break. I was climbing over the rocks in the last album picture, going light on the trottle, trying to be careful. The Jeep rocked to the side and the t-case lever popped out of 4Lo. When I tried to put it back in gear (with transmission now shifted to neutral) it just wouldn't fully engage. I could feel something in the case grabbing but not fully engaging. With the slightest throttle input the Jeep would emit a horrible racheting, grinding noise.

It's weird, I've never heard of transfer cases breaking, usually it's axles, u-joints, tie rods, etc. But t-cases? Especially when they have 43k miles on them.

Preliminary discussions with the mechanic suggest this might have been a freak malfuction. I'll let everyone know once he opens the case.
Unread 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM   #8
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool pics, sucks about the t case! Looks like you guys made it past the bridge, theres some big rocks after it aint there! My Jeep had a freak breakdown as well when I ran it last summer. A clip holding the clutch linkage broke causing the clutch pedal to become a dangling piece of metal. Scared the crap out of me I was picturing ruptered hydraulic lines inside the bellhousing or something. Luckily a quick ziptie fix got me going again.

Heres my pics if you want to see them

http://www.pnw4wda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1475

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, nice pix, WAC_Jeeper. The trail looks good in the dry, especially going over the rocks past the bridge. It's funny, they don't look like they'd be that "difficult" but there are lots of 'holes' for the tires to drop into. I'd like to try it again in the summer when there's less water on the rocks. Should be able to get better traction. When we went up there was, littereally, a small river flowing down the trail with all the boulders on it just past the bridge. In your pix it looks bone dry. The river under the bridge looks like it's far reduced in volume during the summer, too.

The dude in the blue, er, contraption looks familiar, at least his rig does. Do you know him?
Unread 11-08-2004, 03:15 PM   #10
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really miss living in Wa. I used to hike up around Gold bar all the time. My family and I lived in Monroe for about 11 years
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2004, 10:24 PM   #11
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Wow, nice pix, WAC_Jeeper. The trail looks good in the dry, especially going over the rocks past the bridge. It's funny, they don't look like they'd be that "difficult" but there are lots of 'holes' for the tires to drop into. I'd like to try it again in the summer when there's less water on the rocks. Should be able to get better traction. When we went up there was, littereally, a small river flowing down the trail with all the boulders on it just past the bridge. In your pix it looks bone dry. The river under the bridge looks like it's far reduced in volume during the summer, too.

The dude in the blue, er, contraption looks familiar, at least his rig does. Do you know him?

Yeah it was pretty dry, that might have explained why our Jeeps made it to the top with open diffs and 31s. You are right the pictures don't do it any justice. There are lots of holes and big rocks to manuever around plus a lot of rocks spit out from under the tires. Me and my friend with the red Jeep did that trail until just past the bridge one time when it was wet and it was a little more challenging. Then he started having engine trouble. But toward the end that trail gets really steep. The guy with the Toyota buggy is Mike Kash, he runs the Sweaty Nipples Offroad Team, www.snort4x4.com . I know the guy and that is as far as I would say. He lives in Goldbar, I wheeled with him a couple years back on the newbie run and have run into him a couple times since then. He is a hell of a nice guy. I would like to run that trail again but after I have more clearence and bigger tires, it got old reaptedly coming down on rocks.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #12
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=lupinsea]Hey, thanks guys!

HokieYJ, look me up when you get back to the NW! I should have my t-case fixed by then. What part of the sandbox are you in? My cousin is serving in Kuwait right now.

QUOTE]

Oh i will do buddy!!! Its always good to have wheeling buddies as soon as you get somewhere so they can show you the good spots.

Lets just say im really really close to the really bad (the whole country sucks, but this place is the OBVIOUS bad spot) place in Iraq.

I had a buddy who served in Kuwait, Camp Doha. haha that place is like a vacation spot for soldiers over here. He was soooooo pissed that he didnt get to go kick doors and raid houses.
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.