Trail pics and a very stuck XJ (many pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Trail pics and a very stuck XJ (many pics)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
RedJeepXJ

Trail pics and a very stuck XJ (many pics)

First, I know you all really wanna see the stuck pics

I was trying to keep the ditch between the wheels but the left side gave way and swallowed my jeep, the rear wheel didn't slope in it just fell straight down a good 2 feet, the right rear wheel was in the air, and the right front had no traction, It took about 2 hours to get this out, with no shovel, just 3 tow ropes,2 hand winches

It was quite difficult just getting in/out of it

Not the ideal way to pull it but the right wheel wasn't getting any traction so I wrapped a tow rope around it and it worked kind of like a winch, also aired down the tires alot, filled in part of the rut with branches and rocks and whatever else we could find

RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
RedJeepXJ

Now onto the wheeling pictures

Had to get a few of this, I got some good articulation even with add-a-leafs and stock shocks in the back

a rutted hill

a little mud

any Questions, comments, insults etc.....

Last edited by RedJeepXJ; 04-14-2003 at 04:47 PM..
Unread 04-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice...very nice! I think its cool to show pictures even if you are stuck...theres no shame...its people like us that at least make an effort to see what we can and can't go thru. The day I stop getting stuck, is the day my Jeep is officially retired
Unread 04-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
RedJeepXJ

a few more pics

Unread 04-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

SCS748,

Cool pictures.......Looks like you lost a little fluid from the front diff while it was in the ditch. (Pic 5) Might want to check that especially since you were driving through that water (pic 7)
Just a thought....

--John
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2003, 10:57 AM   #6
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

sweet

Nice pics , and the trails look real fun. Good to see what Kumho's are capable of, since I have not been able to put them to that kind of test. Atleast I know how to unstuck my self w/out tow hooks..... Steve how did you get the rear bumper off I tried and I couldn't get the 2 bolts off there is some kind of clip holding them on , on the inner side of the bumper, Any hints or suggestions. Thanks
Aaron
---------------------------------------------
2ksportNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #7
RedJeepXJ

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGJMCCONNELL
Cool pictures.......Looks like you lost a little fluid from the front diff while it was in the ditch
It looks like it leaking but it was just that it was sitting in a hole full of water for a good hour and a half and then when we pulled it out the side that was in the water was at the top and drained down and the flash made it look like oil, I think that's all it was, fluid levels good and that area is bone dry now

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ksportNY
Nice pics .... how did you get the rear bumper off I tried and I couldn't get the 2 bolts off there is some kind of clip holding them on , on the inner side of the bumper, Any hints or suggestions?
I don't know if there is a difference between the years or something, all I had to do was take the bolts off that are kinda in the bumper(behind the bumper where the brackets connect with the frame) and unbolt them with a breaker bar, It's been a while but I remember something funny about the bolts on the inside(the plate where the brackets hook onto) but on the opposite side then the bumper, I think the bolts were welded to the frame or something like that

If this didn't make any sense let me know and I can try to get a pic up that might make more sense

Quote:
Originally posted by ninjajeep
Nice...very nice! I think its cool to show pictures even if you are stuck...theres no shame...its people like us that at least make an effort to see what we can and can't go thru. The day I stop getting stuck, is the day my Jeep is officially retired
fully agree, If your not at least occasionally getting stuck you aren't wheeling it hard enough

gotta admit, since this was my first stuck and it looked very severe I was getting real nervous to say the least, but looking back it really wasn't too bad to get it outta there though

although I am ordering a front hitch and getting a rear hitch and gonna start taking a shovel or two with me for the next time it happens

Last edited by RedJeepXJ; 04-15-2003 at 12:07 PM..
Unread 04-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #8
ninjajeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Scs748

I fully agree, If your not at least occasionally getting stuck you aren't wheeling it hard enough

gotta admit, since this was my first stuck and it looked very severe I was getting real nervous to say the least, but looking back it really wasn't too bad to get it outta there though

although I am ordering a front hitch and getting a rear hitch and gonna start taking a shovel or two with me for the next time it happens
I actually like it when I get stuck (occasionally) Its fun to try and get yourself unstuck...makes me feel like I can overcome obsticles My wife thinks its stupid if i get stuck and she doesn't like to wait around while I figure a way out
Unread 04-15-2003, 12:34 PM   #9
2ksportNY
2008 KK Liberty 

some sense

It made some sense , So you mean you removed the bolts that are going in the direction of the frame rail it's self (not the ones that go up into the bumper), I think there are 2 on the left and 2 on the right about 3" apart, they connect to the bumper. Remove those and then it should come off or do I have to remove the 2 bolts that you can see directly under the bumper, those things are a pain, I gave up because I didn't want to strip them out. Thanks again
Aaron
---------------------------------------------
2ksportNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #10
RedJeepXJ

oh I see what your talkin about, the only way I found to do it was to remove only the bolts where it connects to the frame, such as the 4 bolts where the bumper brackets attach, I never had to remove any facing down, just the 8 bolts (4 per bracket) where it attaches to the frame
Unread 04-24-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
97TJGUZZY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice pics and trials, i was just wondering if you could explain how you were pulling on the tire?
Unread 04-24-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
RedJeepXJ

Quote:
Originally posted by 97TJGUZZY
nice pics and trials, i was just wondering if you could explain how you were pulling on the tire?
yeah, I know it's kinda iffy, that wheel wasn't getting any traction so the original idea was to do this just to keep it from spinning, the pic is after it was winched by forward, the strap was originally on the front of the tire, but it pulled it back and worked kinda like a winch, ran it in 4lo and the jeep popped right out of the hole, I only did this as a last resort since nothing else was working, In these pics I wasn't locked and had no real recovery points, I am now locked in the rear and have a front hitch in the mail so next time I'm stuck I should be able to get it out a little more gracefully

oh, and I'll throw in another trail pic
Unread 04-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #13
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Great pics.

Gotta love those stuck pics.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.