Tomb Raider buildup #1 - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tomb Raider buildup #1

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #91
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderz
As far as how you "massaged" your skid plate, do you think that will create any problems for you in the future? I am in process of putting a 96 4.0 with AX15 from an XY into my 87 YJ and am running into the same issue of the TC being clocked at 23* instead of 13*. When the skid bolts up, the TC is sitting against it.

Has anyone seen another option than cutting the skid to make this work? Or is it not a big deal? Any writeups (I haven't found any..)
The only "problem" foreseeable is catching it on rocks. In the near future I will take a piece of plate and weld it on the skid at an angle to cover the bottom of the tcase. As for ridgidity, Your primary weightbearing load is on the middle of the skid. If you look at the cherokee skids, they are only as wide as the center reinforced area of the YJ skid. The section for and aft are only for protection, not weight bearing purposes.

Unread 06-22-2006, 09:40 AM   #92
boulderz

I guess that's what I'll do too. I read somewhere the TC could be redrilled so that it aligns correct. Anyone know of this being done?
boulderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #93
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderz
I guess that's what I'll do too. I read somewhere the TC could be redrilled so that it aligns correct. Anyone know of this being done?
I found it somewhere online once. Yes, it has been done. There is nothing special that needs to be done other than drilling the holes -10 degrees of what they currently are. My only thought on this was the cost to have someone do it.
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #94
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well.....my first trip out post buildup. Took it fairly easy, testing the waters so to speak. Nothing fell off on the trail, so I considered it a success. The fan controller did go south on me. Fortunately it was 5min into the ride. I ended up hardwiring the fan on the trail to make it through the day. The front driveshaft rubbed the skid just a hair....nothing a grinder can't fix. I think I will go ahead and get the MORE rear upper shock relocators. Give a little more flex in the rear.Other than that....worked flawlessly. The front locker is what I was most inpressed with. Never would have imagined the increased traction. Traction bar was stellar as well. No wheel hopping, and no feeling of limitation on the rear axle. Engine ran cool, and if I must say......dayyyyyuummmmm I am glad I have an automatic. What a difference on the trail. Needless to say, my daughter and I had a good morning on the trail. Poser shots, since it was just us.

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #95
sandman'sjeep

this Jeep is awesome ... wished I had the $$$ to do half of the mod's on this YJ... especially like the fact his wife helps out... if only I can find the right woman who is obsessed with Jeeps like me... having fun trying to find one though...
Unread 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #96
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ride looks awesome. Great job.

I got my 4.0 stuck in today. Would you have pictures of your tranny supports and skids? That is the next stage I am going to tackle.

Oh, and thanks for the write up.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #97
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I got my 4.0 stuck in today. Would you have pictures of your tranny supports and skids? That is the next stage I am going to tackle.

Don't have any off hand, but i'll get some for you tomorrow.
Unread 07-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #98
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will be looking for it.
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #99
ChevDog1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tomb - You may want to check the supply voltage to your fan controller. I killed one also when I went to the electric fan. Found out that if you don't have a continuous solid 12v to the relay, it will eventually burn out.0
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #100
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tomb, have you had a chance to snap some pics of the tranny mount and skid? Just wondering. I am going to work on mine again as soon as I get off work to see what I come up with.

Dave
Unread 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM   #101
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevDog1
Tomb - You may want to check the supply voltage to your fan controller. I killed one also when I went to the electric fan. Found out that if you don't have a continuous solid 12v to the relay, it will eventually burn out.0
It's hooked directly to the battery. I think it was just a bad relay. I did notice that the new relay they gave me was of higher amperage....so I would bet it was not an isolated problem.

Quote:
Tomb, have you had a chance to snap some pics of the tranny mount and skid? Just wondering. I am going to work on mine again as soon as I get off work to see what I come up with.
I did not. I went wheelin yesterday unexpectedly and got home late. I will snap some tonight when I get home. Basically, I used the stock YJ skid plate, and the XJ tranny mount. My skid mounts as usual, with a few more holes drilled for the 4 bolts that the XJ tranny bushing has. I'll get the pics tonight.
Unread 07-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #102
YJ-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

Would you have pictures of your tranny supports and skids? That is the next stage I am going to tackle.

Dadstoy,

What tranny are you installing? Does the AX15 (assuming that is what you are installing) have a 4 bolt pattern on the bottom like the NV3550? If so, then AA makes an adapter that bolts to the bottom of the tranny, and then you bolt the YJ tranny mount to that. The part is like $40, I picked one up, and it matched up perfectly. Allowed me to use a YJ urethane tranny mount with the NV3550 and no modifications to the YJ skid needed.

HTH,

Mike

2006 TJ X (Stock - w/ Borla Cat-Back Exhaust)

Built a YJ from the ground up:

- '04 4.0L (4,000 miles), NV3550 (0 miles), NP231 w/ HD SYE (9,000 miles), 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp AT's, HP D30/8.8 (4.56 gears), ARB Lockers front and rear w/ compressor, hard/soft tops, full/half doors.
-----> Build thread can be read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yj-build-plan-259306/
YJ-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #103
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj-Mike, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it isn't the AX-15. I think I have the mount figured out. I have 2 options. I am fabbing the donor vehicle tranny mount to match the mounting holes on my YJ frame, and I am also fabbing an adapter using the bracket that was bolted to the tranny and making it fit my Yj skid. I will know which one works this afternoon.
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #104
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Here are a few I snapped this morning. As you can see, I basically just cut a bit larger hole to drill the tranny mount holes.

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #105
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Tomb, that helps, I think. I appreciate your help.

Later,

Dave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.