Tomb Raider buildup #1 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tomb Raider buildup #1

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #31
dennis690
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for doing a great job documenting your swap. Your information is helping me plan my swap. I just finished getting the everything pulled out of my donor 92 Cherokee tonight. I am using the auto as well, so I pulled the complete harness including the ISS so hopefully my wiring will go as smooth. What are you planning to do for a shifter? Also I noticed the shifter marked 1/2, 3 OD. can this tranny be made to shift 1,2,3,OD?
Are you going to use the front axle out of the XJ when you do your SOA?

Unread 04-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #32
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis690
Thanks for doing a great job documenting your swap. Your information is helping me plan my swap. I just finished getting the everything pulled out of my donor 92 Cherokee tonight. I am using the auto as well, so I pulled the complete harness including the ISS so hopefully my wiring will go as smooth. What are you planning to do for a shifter? Also I noticed the shifter marked 1/2, 3 OD. can this tranny be made to shift 1,2,3,OD?
Are you going to use the front axle out of the XJ when you do your SOA?
Dunno if the tranny can be made to do 1,2 separate. Using the YJ d30. Your welcome for the writeup. There are many out there....this is just mine. Side note....Ordered the 8.8 install kit from M.O.R.E. Man this stuff is top notch quality. I highly recommend them if you are doing the 8.8 install.

Little more done today.

Axle mocked up.
TCM mounted
Shifter mocked up.
Started cleaning up engine bay wiring.

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #33
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well...while swapping axles, I decided to move the axle back about an inch. Gave me a bit more wheelbase, while not having to disturb the fuel tank. In doing that, the fenders were no longer centered.....time to pull out the grinder.

Before...

After...

Unread 04-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #34
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, back to work. Finished up the fenders, and installed the electric fan today. Man it's a tight fit, but I think it will work out well.

Unread 04-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #35
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok..... just made up my mind that i'm swapping my 4 cyl for a 4.0..... it's gonna be a stroker tho. what radiator did you use? the one from the cherokee or a different one? also, the transfer case output shaft, how much difference is it between where it is after the swap and where it was before? (further back or further forward?) and by approx. how much? thanks!
Unread 04-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #36
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1995
ok..... just made up my mind that i'm swapping my 4 cyl for a 4.0..... it's gonna be a stroker tho. what radiator did you use? the one from the cherokee or a different one? also, the transfer case output shaft, how much difference is it between where it is after the swap and where it was before? (further back or further forward?) and by approx. how much? thanks!
Using the stock YJ radiator. The 4 and 6cyl radiators are the same. As for lenght, the end of the transfer case is about 1-2" farther back than stock. Any good driveline shop can cut down your driveshaft for you for around 50-75 bucks.
Unread 04-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #37
phlex234

just of pure curiosity what are the benefits of the 242 over the 231? or did you keep the 242,, cuz it would be easier, than finding and buying a 231 with 23 splines?

[B]Jeep 2.5 Low Output club member #2
92 Red YJ, 3.5 Bds lift, 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, 33 in tires, long travel DT3000 shocks, m.o.r.e. 3/8 boomerang shackels, 4:56 gears, Tj flares, rock-it man front and rear bumper, Terraflex SYE and Tom Woods CV driveshaft, herculined tub, custom homemade rocker panels, powered by the almighty 4 cylinder[/B]

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155355]NEVER FORGET[/URL]
phlex234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #38
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'm almost 100% sure i can handle this swap, i have the donor vehicle, all wries and everything are still in it. the electronics are the only thing that worry me. i also gotta find a manual trans. can my 231 t-case be used (outta a 95 4 cyl yj)? what changes need to be made? thanks for the help and i'm sure i'll ask many more questions as i prepare for this more.
Unread 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #39
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlex234
just of pure curiosity what are the benefits of the 242 over the 231? or did you keep the 242,, cuz it would be easier, than finding and buying a 231 with 23 splines?
The difference in durability is slim to none. The one thing that interested me about the 242 is the parttime 4wd. The 231 has either fulltime, or none. I did find a 23 spline input shaft for the 231, and I will probably keep it for a backup. The other reason.....the 242 was already attached

Quote:
i'm almost 100% sure i can handle this swap, i have the donor vehicle, all wries and everything are still in it. the electronics are the only thing that worry me. i also gotta find a manual trans. can my 231 t-case be used (outta a 95 4 cyl yj)? what changes need to be made? thanks for the help and i'm sure i'll ask many more questions as i prepare for this more.
Your tcase will not work as it stands. You can change the input shaft to 23 splines on the tcase tho, and it will bolt up to the ax-15 just fine.
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #40
Rodeo1488
By These Things I Stand !

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Scott, what a great write up!!! I sent you a PM about coming and getting the 2.5L from you on Sat. Let me know what you think. Too bad you can't bring that beast to STL so I can see it.
White Jeep Club Member #1488
"Sometimes, there's Justice.......Sometimes, there's Just Us. "
- Living my life on a Thin Blue Line -

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayJeep
If that doesn't work, here's what you do. Buy a bunch of burritos and tie them to pieces of string. Then tie the strings to your Jeep. Then, when the meskins come out of the house drawn by the smell, you drive away. The meskins will chase burritos for miles and miles.
Rodeo1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #41
jeepin1995
1998 TJ Wrangler 

where's a good place to find a 23 spline input shaft for the 231? and how hard was the electronics to get hooked up?
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #42
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you've obviously got the skills to fabricate and weld...

time to get started on an anti-wrap bar. a little searching on the forums and you shoudl find plenty of write-ups. that'll eliminate the axle wrap you'll have that will lead to a sagging rear passenger side leaf.

looks great man.

congrats
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #43
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nothing major done today.....but lots of little things.

Pretty much finished up the engine bay wiring. Still a few wires that I haven't mated up, but mostly done. That freggin E fan sucks. I mean sucks alot of air! Nice fan for a 95 By the way, soldering sucks!

Wired the fan to a switch in the event I need to turn it off in high waters. Also got a new transmission cooler mounted and hooked up. I think the radiator would have worked, but I thought this would be added security for keeping the tranny cool. Few other minor things. Mostly poking around and getting the small stuff done and double checked.

Next weekend should be very busy. Front axle install, rear axle burn in, Hopefully the crossmember fabbed up. Only a few pics this time. More next weekend!

Unread 04-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #44
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

you installed the switch on the 12v signal wire of the relay and not the 12v power source or supply wire going from the battery or to the fan, correct

i don't know how you have your fan wired but IF you don't have a relay picked out yet, SPAL makes a very nice heavy duty and WATERPROOF relay with plenty of wire for the install.... cost is about $40 or so and it comes with a thermoswitch, i chose 180degrees.... i got mine from http://www.turbotime.us/

soldering some heavier wires does suck... i find the 100watt autozonbe soldering gun to do the best job for under $17.... fyi
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

Unread 04-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #45
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

SPAL relay kit with thermoswitch
http://www.turbotime.us/ProductDetai...000-1115603199

SPAL relay kit without switch
http://www.turbotime.us/ProductDetai...000-1115606188

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.