Tomb Raider buildup #1 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tomb Raider buildup #1

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Update......

Just found an 8.8 axle for the jeep. I pick it up thursday. $150 bucks wheel to wheel. 4.10's, disc's and the limited slip. Woot! Just thought I would share my excitement.

Unread 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Got the mounts welded up and the engine is now in the bay under its own two feet! Tomorrow I start tackling the tranny crossmember.

Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well....plans changed a bit today. I am also going SOA and putting an 8.8 in the rear, so I decided to get the springs out and remove the D35. Was a long day. Even got my wife in on the fun. She actually grinded all the mounts off the 8.8 while I wrenched on the jeep! Gotta love a good wife.

Unread 04-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
brundz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

haha wow thats a pretty big sudden change of plans...didn't you just put on that lift you had on it? what are you doing with the old leafs?
brundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #20
akjmax

Man, you are a glutton for punishment. Good luck.
akjmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #21
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundz
haha wow thats a pretty big sudden change of plans...didn't you just put on that lift you had on it? what are you doing with the old leafs?
Quote:
Man, you are a glutton for punishment. Good luck.
Well...not really a sudden change. I knew this is where i was going with it...just didn't plan on doing this part of it that day. I just recently put on the body lift, but the spring lift was there when I bought the jeep. As for the leafs, I'm actually trading with someone who has 2" leafs so I can do the SOA. Mine were 4", and just to big for my SOA project.

akjmax, my wife says the same thing every day she glances out back and looks at me wrenching on it....lol
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #22
brundz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

wow that things gonna be massive...good luck with the motor swap. i've always wanted to do it but with my luck i'll never get it running right so i'll just stick with the 4 crazy squirrels
brundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #23
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

awesome work with everything. Can't wait to see it with the SOA. I'm doing the I6 swap but with the AX15 tranny should be interesting. I'm planning on a week with a couple buddies to get the old 4 banger out and the already pulled 6 in and wired. But that won't be until sometime this summer. but this thread definately helped a lot. so hard to work on the jeep while going to school and working full time. so the summer when i only have to work fulltime is nice. I have everything i need except for my CV shaft which i have to wait to measure for anyway. I'm putting a stage 1 clutch , full tune up, already have the exhaust, and an SYE kit in all at the same time should be fun...
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #24
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider
I'd be frightened to crawl around under there. Cinderblocks are not the best choice for jack stand bases. Even worse when they're standing.

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.

Last edited by TellyDSP; 04-02-2006 at 09:23 PM..
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #25
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Good stuff

I'd be frightened to crawl around under there. Cenderblocks are not the best choice for jack stand bases. Even worse when they're standing.
I only have it on those for "storage." When i'm working on it, whichever end im on, it is supported by the hoist.
Unread 04-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #26
bobbert350

looking good let me no how everything turns out.. im curious..
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

have you done any of the wiring for the 4.0 at all... is it fairly easy cause last minute changes and i think i may be pulling this swap off in a weekend.. call me crazy it'll be nuts but i think the guys and i can pull it off... just wanted to know how the wiring was pm me.
thanks, chris
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
Unread 04-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #28
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Update.....

She's alive! Finally got her wired and she fires right up! Man that was a good feeling. Although...I did run into one glitch that slowed me for awhile. Some cherokees came with an antitheft security system. Well....it's a PITA. Lets you crank and turn the engine over....but won't fire up for more than a second before it dies. Sooo....found a local autoshop that had a 95 cherokee without the security system in it sittin out back. $50 bucks for the PCM and I was rockin!

Few things of note for ppl interested in this. Literally......five wires from your wrangler will run the cherokee engine.

1. Yellow ignition wire (start)
2. Red +B 12v wire to ignition
3. White/yellow wire for the fuel and ASD relays
4. Black ground wire
5. Wire from PDC to fuel pump.

Fire.

The one thing that is great about this swap....if you have a complete donor, meaning the entire harness and all accessories...you can basically just plug and play. It sounds over simplified...but it's almost that easy. Just make sure, as I noted.....that the PCM(computer) does not have the security system.

As you can tell...im a bit excited today. Now I can start puttin her back together!!!
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #29
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My donor is a 91 Renegade that the body was shot so I pulled the 6 cylinder out and have everything to go with it so hopefully it'll be that easy. About a week during the summer is what i'm hoping on for a SYE kit, complete 6 cylinder swap, and i'm going to put a stage 1 clutch in, in the process.
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Small update,

Started in a bit on the 8.8

Removed everything, and welded the tubes.

As I had read previously.....weld one side, the flip and weld other...back and forth...to keep from warping the tube. Not the prettiest welds...but I think they will hold.

Tack...

And weld....

Also got tired of having to go inside to look up something or find an answer while working....so had an old Pentium 3 pc I got for 75 bucks awhile back. Brought it out in the garage...lol. Has wireless connection to net...works awesome. Much better than running inside all the time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.