Tomb Raider buildup #1 - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tomb Raider buildup #1

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #136
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97MilitaryTJ
I am doing a 2.5 to 4.0 swap in a 97 TJ. Will my 2.5/ 3 speed auto bolt up? If not what tranny do I need? Thanks, Kent

Nope. You will need an ax-15, or whatever auto came behind the 4.0L. And with that, you will need the tcase that bolts to the tranny....or change the input gear of your tcase.

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #137
cosminciortan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks tombrider for this thread. i'm getting my 4.0L+auto+tcase this weekend. the guy already parted out the alternator and ps pump. can i use the ones on my 2.5?
since i'm not getting the whole car, are there things i should look out for?
how far back your t-case is now as opposed to stock? how did this affect the driveshafts?
and finally, what is "hack-n-tap"ing the tcase?
thanks
cosminciortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #138
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to do the 98 4.0 ZJ into the 90 YJ 2.5. The problem is that the YJ has one big computer plug and the ZJ has 3 plugs, 2 connecting to the motor and the third I dont know where it goes, im guessing to the bulk head?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #139
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Pictures fixed...again :-)
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #140
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great overall write up.

I wish you had spent more time documenting in images the work you did on the skid plate as well as how you determined the mounting positions of the motor mounts. It seems as if the wiring would need it's own write up, but you make it sound very simple. Like most people, wiring is my weak point.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #141
Ironazz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up! Excellent work.
Ironazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #142
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

On the positive side, Great job, well planned and executed. I am drooling over that Jeep. Having said that, looking at some of your photos, I have concerns regarding some of your (non existing) safety practices.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #143
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdewit View Post
On the positive side, Great job, well planned and executed. I am drooling over that Jeep. Having said that, looking at some of your photos, I have concerns regarding some of your (non existing) safety practices.
Not one thing of this was "planned" This was the first "major" project on a jeep I had ever done. As for concerns....we all have our opinions and I appreciate yours. Was this done to OSHA standards, of course not. Was I 100% safe all the time...certain I wasn't. However...it was an amazing learning experience of which I could not have paid to get. I now own a shop, and that shop is 100% safe. Cheers to you sir for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Great overall write up.

I wish you had spent more time documenting in images the work you did on the skid plate as well as how you determined the mounting positions of the motor mounts. It seems as if the wiring would need it's own write up, but you make it sound very simple. Like most people, wiring is my weak point.
Thank you.

The skid plate holes were determined by where the bolts for the tranny mount were...lol. The engine mounts were placed based on being able to get my hand behind the rear of the engine from the engine bay. There is no exact spot for them. You hoist the engine in the bay (safely of course tdewit) and bolt the mounts to the engine. Move the engine until you have enough room in front for your fan not to eat your radiator and in rear to give enough room to get your hand behind the the head to get those pesky top bolts on the tranny bellhousing. The left to right is set by the mounts. Once the engine is in place.....then I drilled the holes for the tranny mount. Nothing to it

As for wiring....it's usually everyone's scary part. And...it can be a pain. however...my advice on this is, get a subscription to an online manual such as alldatadiy.com They are invaluable and not expensive. The text books you buy at the stores are way to generic and don't show you all the connectors/wire colors etc.

This write-up has been around for many years and have been honored to have helped those who used it as reference. Cheers.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #144
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs
Not one thing of this was "planned" This was the first "major" project on a jeep I had ever done. As for concerns....we all have our opinions and I appreciate yours. Was this done to OSHA standards, of course not. Was I 100% safe all the time...certain I wasn't. However...it was an amazing learning experience of which I could not have paid to get. I now own a shop, and that shop is 100% safe. Cheers to you sir for your comments. Thank you. The skid plate holes were determined by where the bolts for the tranny mount were...lol. The engine mounts were placed based on being able to get my hand behind the rear of the engine from the engine bay. There is no exact spot for them. You hoist the engine in the bay (safely of course tdewit) and bolt the mounts to the engine. Move the engine until you have enough room in front for your fan not to eat your radiator and in rear to give enough room to get your hand behind the the head to get those pesky top bolts on the tranny bellhousing. The left to right is set by the mounts. Once the engine is in place.....then I drilled the holes for the tranny mount. Nothing to it As for wiring....it's usually everyone's scary part. And...it can be a pain. however...my advice on this is, get a subscription to an online manual such as alldatadiy.com They are invaluable and not expensive. The text books you buy at the stores are way to generic and don't show you all the connectors/wire colors etc. This write-up has been around for many years and have been honored to have helped those who used it as reference. Cheers.
I will be using it as a reference and thank you for your time and work documenting the process I will check out the online manuals. With the i6 auto Cherokees so dang cheap out here its a no brainer swap. Thanks again.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #145
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I'mmmmm baaacccckkkk.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.