Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tom95YJ's 99 XJ "Black Betty"

88K views 385 replies 63 participants last post by  YettiXJ97! 
#1 ·
Well here is Black Betty, She's a Rust Free '99 XJ :
4.0L, AW4, 155K miles, Classic Trim package

It is currently running a 3" Tuffcountry Ez ride lift, and 31x10.50 Dick Cepek Moutain Cat Mud terrains on 15x8 Ultra wheels ( Lift and Wheels were installed by the Previous Owner )

I will be building this Jeep in Phases , The first Phase will completed over January, and Febuary 2012. If it was not for Christmas I would start Next Month !

Phase One:

RE 3.5" Coils, RE 3.5" full leaf packs, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, , Rock Sliders, Front Towhook brackets with Universal Towhook-D ring Adapters, Steel Brake lines, IRO Double Shear Tracbar, ADJ Upper & Lower control arms , Sterring Boxbrace.

Phase 2: Rigid winch bumper, Warn VR8000, JCR rear bumper, and Low profile rack. (Winter 2012/Spring 2013)

Phase 3 will be Re-gearing to 456 with ARB's, TNT LongArm, and 33's

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks !

My Build plan has changed a some, I will be going with RE 3.5" Leafs also since I can get them for $86 a spring VS $116 a spring for OME. Also I will be going with Rigid ( http://www.rigidco.com ) FWB2 winch bumper / sliders since he builds great XJ products for a decent price . His winch bumpers are similar looking to JCR's but they are more low profile, and He is local so I wont have to pay shipping which makes them cheaper than JCR . The front bumper he makes bolts to the front with 16 bolts so it ties the entire front clip together.

Here's a Flickr link to Rigid's page with his products
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/

Sofar Here's the price break down on what I'll be doing in January
(I pay cost on all of the parts BTW)

RE 3.5" coils (Pair) $99.00
RE 3.5" leafs (Each) $86.00
Bilstein 5100 (Each) $76.00
Rigid Sliders $190.00

#5 ·
On road they are great, They are louder than the Goodyear Mtr's I had on my Yj. Off-road I can not give a valid review since all of the decent local ohv areas are closed until spring (under 2+ ft of snow). I have not had a chance to drive 2.5-3 hrs south to moab and test them out yet. I will be going to moab some time in early spring after I get rock sliders installed.

#7 ·
The snow has not layed on the roads yet, So I can not give a valid answer. Within the next month or so I should be able to give a valid review of the tire However keep in mind the snow here in Utah is a light fluffy powdery snow. I would assume snow in Washinton state is more of a wet heavy snow based the Wa. being a costal state.

#11 ·
My Wife and I took the XJ Wheeling the other day for the first time, I must say wheeling with a XJ and Auto is way too easy compared to a SWB Wrangler with a manual ! The tires did great I was expecting sub-par performance but they surprised me and stuck on the rocks like glue, And on a few Steep hill climbs that were somewhat loose no slippage at all ! My wife didn't take pics of the XJ on rocks when I was driving cause she was busy with our son. But I did manage to get a few pics of her Wheeling it which was also her first time in the drivers seat ! I can say that the Tuff country lift on The XJ has sagged about 1" so its really around 2" of lift. The Tires do Rub the trim on the bumper endcaps, and it rode like Crap compaired to my TJ, And YJ on Much harder And Rockier Trails . I can not wait to get the new Springs & Shocks Installed .

Tomorrow I will get my RE 3.5" Leafs and RE ADJ Trac bar, I tried to order on the 26th but my supplier was closed until tomorrow for remodel/inventory.

Sadly I wont be able to afford the Bilstein 5100's until next month Febuary is looking like we will get Shocks, Wheels, Sliders, And the Lift installed. Maybe a House with a Garage to park it in too if everything works as planned within the next few months :2thumbsup:

Pics:

#12 ·
Miata's make great parts haulers,Well atleast XJ Part Haulers !

Here are my new RE 3.5" Leafs and Re ADJ Tracbar on thier way home from work with me !

Little Jeeper Approved Yet Again !

Here's my Pile of Parts sofar :

I wish I would have learned to piece together lifts a long time ago ! Here is a break down of how much I am into all my Suspension so far !

RE 3.5" coils $ 99.00
RE 3.5" Leafs $ 86.00 (X2)
RE Adj. Tracbar $ 104.00
-------------------------------
Total : $ 375.00

#20 ·
I had finally got around to installing my AutoPal E Codes and Putco H4 harness today, It took me about an hour to install the harness and Headlights along with adjust the headlights. I never took any before shots because it was an after thought. Here's the pics of me Putting the Jeep back together and Light output. The lights are noticbly brighter and more white even with the Autopal 55/60watt bulbs which I've read that the bulbs suck. Once they burn out I'll install some Piaa Xtreme White bulbs. Sorry for the poor quality pics I had took them with my cellphone since the battery's for my camera are charging

Low Beam :

High Beam:

Low Beam:

High Beam:

Low Beam:

High Beam

#27 ·
I had talked to Terry from Rigid today, He said my sliders are welded together, All he has left to do is clean up the welds, An treat them with chemical that leaves a Zinc coating, He said they will be ready for pick up on friday. I will pick them up on Saturday after I get off of work I won't have time to do it on friday. I should have them installed by the end of next month after my Lift gets installed. In other news I might order my new wheels tomorrow If my wife gives me the ok I will have them installed Saturday while at work !

#33 ·
Cant wait to see the sliders on. I like those a lot. Great looking Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.