Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive"

994K views 6K replies 336 participants last post by  NashvilleTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Another TJ build with not so much bling,except where needed. Very few bolt on mods, and a ton of custom mods.

I acquired a 1997 TJ project that had been abandoned by a few previous owners. I felt like the TJ needs another chance to make it out of the garage for good and not to go to the crusher.

Now on with the plan. I want to build this Jeep by the EJS 2013. I am not really set on a final date, But I figured a year would be good. I do not plan on updating the build daily nor do I plan on working on the Jeep everyday of the next year. So, I will add good updates every week or so when progress is good.

Here is the low down. The Jeep has a clean frame, no rust at all. The body is also rust free. The Jeep came to me as a frame and tub, with a 4.0 and AW4. The AW4 will be going in my other Jeep, and the 4.0 will probably get parted out. (I still do not know what I want as a power plant.) 5.3 and a 4L60 is what will probably end up in it.

Most of the parts used in this build will come from Junkyards, trash bins, dumpsters, wrecked TJs, and any other donated parts...

What I have collected so far.

I thought I would add a price list to the build as I go along..

Bought the Jeep for 200.00
Sold the door surrounds on ebay +145.00
Sold the sound bar on ebay +95.00

So far, + $40.00

(4) Old style MTRs 37" really just 35" tall 150.00

Total money out of pocket today 1-2-12 110.00

Bed components, Sides, Factory corners, Belt rails, 450.00

Tacoma Bed inner assembly Free
Front suspension links (JJs and Mid arm links)
Rear XJ leaf springs
Stock Hood Free
Stock grille shell Free
OEM radiator Free

JK D44 rear with 4:10 gears and track loc 300.00
Stock front fenders and rear flares Free

Body work:

Custom cut tub to make 2 seater cab
Custom Highline stock fenders
Hendrix Hood mod with vents
Custom wrap around bed assembly with drop down tail gate (53" bed)

Frame work:

Relocate the steering box bracket for front stretch
Custom frame built front bumper with grille hoop and winch protector
High clearance front lower link mounts
Custom Coilover hoops up front
Custom shock hoops in the rear
Custom rear leaf hangers
Custom back half rear frame for leafs and extended WB for bed / Reason "Simplicity, Red_Smoke says it works" :laugh:
Ruffstuff anti-wrap kit

Total out of pocket: 2-20-12 $960.00

Pictures to come soon.....:rtft:

I will reserve a few posts so please no comments till I get about 10 posts saved to keep the build clean in the future. :wave:

It may look dumb with 10-11 posts reserved, but you guys will thank me 2 years from now when trying to look at the build. :duhrock:

Photoshopped version of this build. Thanks to XJAbuzer.

The real thing.

See less See more
#1,155 ·
Your quality and attention to detail is great, but I have a newb question. Aren't you supposed to paint each panel in the orientation it resides as on the vehicle? i.e. aren't you supposed to paint the hood laying down rather than hanging? Something to do with how the paint materials orient themselves while drying is noticeable to the eye or something. I don't know just something I heard and makes sense to me.

#1,157 ·
chocflip201 said:
Your quality and attention to detail is great, but I have a newb question. Aren't you supposed to paint each panel in the orientation it resides as on the vehicle? i.e. aren't you supposed to paint the hood laying down rather than hanging? Something to do with how the paint materials orient themselves while drying is noticeable to the eye or something. I don't know just something I heard and makes sense to me.
Thank for the compliment.

Great question, You are mostly correct. I would never paint a metallic or pearl coat any other way then how it sits on the vehicle. Using a solid like I am the only issue I would have is proper color match. But, I only painted or cut-in the underside as we say in the bodyshop business. I will either lay the hood flat or bolt it to the tub when it gets painted.

#1,161 ·
can't wait to see the finished product on this.

#1,167 ·
Going to work a little on the Jeep this weekend. I still need to get rear axle cleaned up. That might be the weekend task. Next Friday I have some help coming over to move the bed over to he frame to tack in the body mounts. Then the bed is going in storage and the cab will be headed to the body shop.

#1,168 ·
The 2 piece hard top I posted about a month ago will be in my possession tomorrow. I have to work so they are bringing it by the shop. This will be the top I can experiment on making my own halfcab hard top. It's going to take some work cutting it into about 5 pieces then bonding it all back together. I may hold off on painting the cab so I do not scratch up the pretty paint. Or, I may go ahead and bring the cab to work and cut up the top there then paint it all at once.

I also have a guy that's shipping me 2 hard doors and 2 hard tops. In trade for me making him a half cab.

Oh yeah, the full wire harness for the Jeep will be here mid week and the boomerang shackles from besrk.

Throttle body and distributor is all that's left and she will fire up.

#1,169 ·
Got the rear axle taken apart as far as I could. I need to bring my slide hammer home to give the shafts a little persuasion. The brakes are like New and the calipers are brand new. Good for me then I only have to replace the fronts with blackmagic brakes for now, then upgrade the rear later. Turkey day I plan on welding the leaf mounts on the rear axle so it will be ready paint.

The wife was able to help me lift the bed into place on the frame today. Now I have a better perspective of how its all going to look. I am going to tack the front bed mounts on the frame Friday morning then remove the bed and cab to finish the frame.

Here is the bed in place.

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

#1,173 ·
twinstickd20 said:
Looks good! Did you still need the shackles for mock up? I finally remembered to put them in the truck.
Nope, I will have the ones from Besrk this week.

LilViper95 said:
Still need a tb?
Yes, but I have had my spending limit decreased by my wife. :pout:

I have a trade set up with Rod I think.

#1,176 ·
I know the feeling, been trying to built my buggy on a really tight budget.
So essentially doing all the stuff first that doesn't need a ton of coin.
Just making mock up parts out of scrap that I have lying around.
So when the coinage is doing better I can fit the needed stuff right in there.
Don't get discouraged Johnny you'll find a way to make it all happen in time.,
Patience is a pretty good virtue :2thumbsup:

#1,177 ·
aw12345 said:
I know the feeling, been trying to built my buggy on a really tight budget.
So essentially doing all the stuff first that doesn't need a ton of coin.
Just making mock up parts out of scrap that I have lying around.
So when the coinage is doing better I can fit the needed stuff right in there.
Don't get discouraged Johnny you'll find a way to make it all happen in time.,
Patience is a pretty good virtue :2thumbsup:
I have so much to do that requires no money spent, so I can stay busy all winter I believe.

Wife is buying the front lower control arm brackets from poly for Christmas. Trying to pull off a tube bender also.

All I need is some scrap steel to cut out gussets and fish plates from and some flap discs/grinding discs. Those do not cost a lot so I am good for that.

The top I will spend weeks on that cutting and fitting it to the cab.

Like I said I will be busy till Spring without spending very much money at all.

#1,181 ·
ksilovich said:
Do it. I love my bender.

And the jeep is looking great. Its been a while since I looked at ur build :cheers2:
It will not be as high tech as yours. More muscle power.
I need it to bed the cage in the cab.

Pete3 said:
This truck is going to be very cool. The hood looks great!
Thanks for looking.

I received the boomerang shackles fro GPF last night. I got a tracking number on the full TJ wire harness. And the lady is finally dropping off the hardtop tomorrow.

I have plenty of work to keep me busy on Dumpster for months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.