A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive" - Page 326 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive"

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #4876
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good boss!

Unread 03-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #4877
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice ! But the dumpster is in my spot .
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #4878
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Nice ! But the dumpster is in my spot .
Yes, But i was only there for 4 hours today.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #4879
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why didn't you make the wheel well boxes rounded and lower?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #4880
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864
Why didn't you make the wheel well boxes rounded and lower?
They are eventually going to be storage boxes, and nothing is really round on a Jeep except the headlights. I am limited to the design of the Tacoma bed also.
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #4881
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! How bout those front inners?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #4882
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
Looks great! How bout those front inners?
Did not have enough time today. Getting ready to bring her home from work for good this week. This should allow me to get a few hours in a week. I want to have her ready to do some light wheeling this spring and summer.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #4883
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Going to leave this here for future reference, This is exactly what my AW4 swap is doing.

This was copied from Stu's offroad.

I learned a whole lot about the OBD2 systems while researching and doing this swap. I was fortunate to own an OBD2 scanner. This really helped me work through some issues.

I had been fighting an OBD2 code I kept getting from the tranny. (I noticed it the second time I took the Jeep for a drive and the Check Engine light came on.) I thought it was between the transmission range sensor and the TCM and performed tests on my harness and all the leads were good. I then tried another TCM and I got the same code. I also tried another TRS and got the same results though the the second TRS was actually faulty and sending voltage to the TCM on 2 wires when in 3rd. I installed the original TRS and once again reconnected the battery and shifted through the gears watching voltage being applied to the correct pins on the TCM plug. I did every test imaginable and everything tested out good. But I still got code P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Malfunction PRNDL) when I scanned the computer and on every second start after clearing the codes the check engine light came on requiring me to clear the codes with my scanner.

Here's what I think is happening. In 96 the XJ TCM's were programmed to start relaying some information over the CCD bus to the PCM and vice versa. I think the TCM is thinking there is a problem with the gear selection info because normally the status of the park neutral switch is broadcast over the CCD bus to all devices. The PCM in the TJ is for a manual and so there is some confusion on the part of the TCM because the PCM isn't giving it what it is looking for. The CCD bus + and - circuits are for communication between all of the OBD2 devices in the vehicle including PCM, TCM, airbag module, and sentry immobilizer key. All of these devices have a SCI transmit wire going to the Data Link connector though the PCM also has a SCI receive wire. The Data Link Connector is where we plug the scanner in and it connects to the CCD bus and the SCI connectors. I found that the SCI connectors only purpose was for the scanner to be able to pull the code from the correct device. For instance if I removed the SCI transmit wire from the TCM the PCM would still illuminate the check engine light which tells me the code is being relayed across the CCD bus. But if you then try to scan for the error code you get nothing. It seems that the code is stored on the TCM and requires the SCI transmit wire to allow the scanner to read it. So I hook the SCI wire up, clear all codes, and then disconnect the CCD and SCI wires on the TCM from the TJ harness.

Here's what happens...it runs perfect!! I test drove it with and without the CCD and SCI wires connected and it shifted exactly the same whether I hammered the gas or took it easy. It braked exactly the same and idled the same. The best part was that I no longer get any error codes when I scan the PCM. The PCM is happy thinking it still has a manual tranny behind it. It gets RPM info from the tach, and output speed info from the speedometer and its happy like before the swap. Now the TCM I think is getting everything it needs too. The tranny has its own input and output speed sensors. So the TCM knows the engine RPM, and of course the output RPM's. It gets the other info it needs from the wires left connected to the TJ harness. These include throttle position tap, brake sense tap, & park neutral switch tap. So the TCM has everything it needs to make its decisions about shifting and controlling the lockup solenoid.

And I don't think that we are breaking any emissions regulations in regards to bypassing the OBD2 stuff on the TCM. Our TJ's never had any OBD2 controls on the tranny prior to the swap so technically I don't believe we are required to integrate the OBD2 TCM into the data link connector.
Now if for some reason the tranny is misbehaving and you want to pull other codes from the TCM all you have to do is hook up the CCD + and - as well as the SCI transmit wire. Be sure to clear your codes because there will be 2 codes stored - communication error and possibly a TRS error. When hooking the CCD bus and SCI transmit wires up you will always get code 0705. Ignore that code. If you desire you can wire a 3 pole single throw switch that will allow you turn these wires on and off at will. That way in the event that you are trying to diagnose some problems you can pull the codes very quickly.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #4884
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse
I think I asked this before. Did you connect the Ccd wires?
That is why I asked this. Same issue I had with my swap.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #4885
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse
That is why I asked this. Same issue I had with my swap.
I had them connected originally. Now I do not. I guess there is a stored code in the TCM that I need to clear. It did not sink in till I read through the complete write up again.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #4886
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
I had them connected originally. Now I do not. I guess there is a stored code in the TCM that I need to clear. It did not sink in till I read through the complete write up again.
Ah I see. Yep same thing I did. Connect wires to clear code and then disconnect. Drove awesome after that and no cel.
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #4887
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well guys it's official Dumpster will be a Florida Jeep in about 45 days or so. I have decided to take the Job I was offered in South Florida. It's going to be a big move, house to sell in TN, lots of shop equipment and tools to move along with everything in a house, 3 cats, buggy parts and 3 vehicles.

It's been a fun week here in FL, great weather and just good times.
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #4888
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Well guys it's official Dumpster will be a Florida Jeep in about 45 days or so. I have decided to take the Job I was offered in South Florida. It's going to be a big move, house to sell in TN, lots of shop equipment and tools to move along with everything in a house, 3 cats, buggy parts and 3 vehicles.

It's been a fun week here in FL, great weather and just good times.
Congrats ! Time to get packing , and fixing some trim on the house ?
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #4889
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix
Well guys it's official Dumpster will be a Florida Jeep in about 45 days or so. I have decided to take the Job I was offered in South Florida. It's going to be a big move, house to sell in TN, lots of shop equipment and tools to move along with everything in a house, 3 cats, buggy parts and 3 vehicles. It's been a fun week here in FL, great weather and just good times.
Congrats! That's a loooong drive to come wheel the badlands.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #4890
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
Congrats! That's a loooong drive to come wheel the badlands.
Going to make a trip before I move.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.