A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive" - Page 263 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #3931
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan
OME 2" light duty?
This or Rustys off-road seems like a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5
if you can get me the specifics of what you are looking for in the springs there is a place here local that does nothing but build spring packs for some of the big name suspension companies. at the very least i could get you a quote. they build them to their specs, ship em out, and then someone like skyjacker or procomp paints their name on them. i am going to be using them on my rig for finishing off the d60 swap. they will custom make darn near anything for about half the price of what the big name brand charges. i have an e-mail out to my contact there for you as we speak. he should get back to me today or tomorrow.
Thanks, they need to be light duty 1-2" of lift. And they are XJ springs.

Drove her to work today, seems better but not right yet. Still harsh on bumps, I catch myself bracing to bumps in the road most people would not even see. It's harsh, almost teeth braking harsh.

Going to concentrate on the cage while I think about what I need to do. Finishing the inside cage will stiffen up the cab a little and allow me to fully secure the hard top.

As far as the frame goes, thinking about adding an (X) to the frame under the bed. I see most light duty trucks have some kind of. (X) in the rear section of frame.

I know I need a heavier spring up front, just not sure where to start.

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #3932
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Drove her to work today, seems better but not right yet. Still harsh on bumps, I catch myself bracing to bumps in the road most people would not even see. It's harsh, almost teeth braking harsh.
I really think the shocks are fueling the issue. Mine rode very smooth when I initially did the leaf swap. I was running stock xj leafs +1 stock main leaf, and cheap, squishy pro comp shocks. It seemed to ride smoother than it did on factory coils.

Then I ran w/o shocks for a week or two while I set up the rear shocks to be out-boarded.....that was a harsh ride.

Then I installed some 255/70 Bilstein, and since then it has been a bit harsh. It rides nice with some weight in the back, but empty you feel the bumps.

When these Bilsteins are shot, I'll be switching back to a nice squishy shock.

Edit: exactly what leaf setup are you currently running?
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #3933
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Running a XJ leaf with a IRO leaf just under the main leaf and the second leaf removed. I am thinking the IRO leaf is the culprit. The shocks are doing the best they can to keep it under control. When I drove it with no shocks it was just as harsh, but bouncy.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #3934
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Running a XJ leaf with a IRO leaf just under the main leaf and the second leaf removed. I am thinking the IRO leaf is the culprit. The shocks are doing the best they can to keep it under control. When I drove it with no shocks it was just as harsh, but bouncy.
Do you have a picture of you shackle angle at ride height?
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #3935
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I assume its an IRO add a leaf kit or something of that nature? If you can find a set of stock xj leafs cheap, I'd ditch the IRO leaf, and run a stock pack +1 stock main leaf. It might be worth a try at least.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #3936
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I assume its an IRO add a leaf kit or something of that nature? If you can find a set of stock xj leafs cheap, I'd ditch the IRO leaf, and run a stock pack +1 stock main leaf. It might be worth a try at least.
Yes I would try this as well, along with checking shackle angle and length.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #3937
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse
Yes I would try this as well, along with checking shackle angle and length.
Make sure your shackles aren't torqued to tight either. Most of us yj guys back off the torque spec about 10 ft/lb for a much better ride.

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #3938
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So you guys are saying start with a new used XJ leaf pack and add the main leaf out of my existing pack with the eyes cut off?

I can do that pretty easily and cheaply.

I will get a picture of the shackle angle this weekend.
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #3939
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you guys are saying start with a new used XJ leaf pack and add the main leaf out of my existing pack with the eyes cut off?

Exactly. That is what rode smoothest for me. Our rigs can't be all that different in rear weight.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #3940
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thats what I did in all of my XJ's. I went to place in town called Zenith spring and they made me some leafs to toss in to the same specs as the factory top leaf.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #3941
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the coilovers go how did you set the springs up? Generally speaking with the coilover all the way extended tighten the collar so it touches the spring then tighten/ preload 3" more. That should put you at ride height. If it doesn't time to swap springs? What are your current springs? 200 over 250?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #3942
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

1200.250.0200.0S upper spring

1200.250.250.0S lower spring.

No preload at all.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #3943
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes. These springs are $7 at junkyard. I have junkyard bastard packs all around. I ended up with Rodeo/XJ packs upfront and Wagoneer/XJ packs in the back. I bought new bushings and clamps for them. They're honestly better than anything any vendor could have made. This stuff is already tempered and built the way I like it.

I just went and spent about $40 on random SUV springs and came up with exactly what I needed. They're great.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #3944
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Many of the bushings are the same size. An OEM Isuzu Rodeo bushing might be $25 a piece. A 4 pack of aftermarket bushings for a waggy is $32. They're the same bushing, the after market one is just red and 25% the price.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #3945
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's the game plan now. Just a couple hours in the junkyard and some time playing with the springs

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.