A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive" - Page 222 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive"

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Reply
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3316
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,258
I hope to get a phone call when you're test driving this thing.....

Looking good buddy.

__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #3317
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 5,090
Time for a front page update? What is the storage box you had mocked up for behind the seats and did it make it into the final truck? Do you have anymore information on it? Thanks.
__________________
Impact Orange LJ - DD...sitting low, flat bottomed, fully armored and locked on 37s
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #3318
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
Time for a front page update? What is the storage box you had mocked up for behind the seats and did it make it into the final truck? Do you have anymore information on it? Thanks.
Oh yeah, it's one of my favorite mods. It's on the first page somewhere. I bed lined it to blend in with the cab.

Sent by telegram.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3319
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
So I have a tiny issue. I installed the front DS tonight. It's about 2" to short, meaning I don't feel safe with only 2" of engagement in the splines. Anyone know how long of front shaft I can safely run. I need a 44" front shaft.

Thanks I will hang up and listen now.
unno:
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #3320
jforse
Web Wheeler
 
jforse's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
So I have a tiny issue. I installed the front DS tonight. It's about 2" to short, meaning I don't feel safe with only 2" of engagement in the splines. Anyone know how long of front shaft I can safely run. I need a 44" front shaft.

Thanks I will hang up and listen now.
unno:


You should have more spline engagement than that. Didn't you just have that shaft made? Or is that the one setup for the Flop?
__________________
1997 TJ - Build in process.
2004 WJ Freedom Edition 4.7HO
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #3321
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,274
With all the work you did extending a driveshaft 2" should be cake, cut right next to the yoke weld add 2" of tube tack, check to see if it's true, then weld in 4 spots 180 degrees across. Shouldn't take you very long. Laying it in some angle iron while tacking help keep the tubes lined up.
If you get the thing retubed have them use 0.120" wall tubing
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #3322
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
With all the work you did extending a driveshaft 2" should be cake, cut right next to the yoke weld add 2" of tube tack, check to see if it's true, then weld in 4 spots 180 degrees across. Shouldn't take you very long. Laying it in some angle iron while tacking help keep the tubes lined up.
If you get the thing retubed have them use 0.120" wall tubing
It's a custom front shaft with 2" 120 wall I had it built for flop and as I was building thought I had measured correctly for it to fit. 450.00 for this and now i need to lengthen. I was mainly asking if its safe to go out to 44" ?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #3323
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,274
Sure I Have a pretty long driveshaft in the front, actually helps driveline angles and yoke clearance. With a long enough shaft you could possibly loose the cv joint to boot
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #3324
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Sure I Have a pretty long driveshaft in the front, actually helps driveline angles and yoke clearance. With a long enough shaft you could possibly loose the cv joint to boot
That's what I figured, just wanted an honest opinion. thanks Art.

It's actually pretty flat as well as my rear shaft.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #3325
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
That's what I figured, just wanted an honest opinion. thanks Art.
You'r welcome Johnny, we all wanna see this here fine Jeep leave the garage
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #3326
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post

You'r welcome Johnny, we all wanna see this here fine Jeep leave the garage
Me to, I am going to ease it out with the front shaft as it sits. Then turn it around and take the shaft down to Dave's d shaft to get him to retube it. My rear yoke will be here Thursday. Then I can take the Jeep for a spin.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #3327
aw12345
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ontario, Cali
Posts: 6,274
One or two more days and a few bucks doesn't make much difference anymore. So ya have the shaft retubed, fix anything else thagtg needs fixing and enjoy the heck out of your Jeep, it's truly one of a kind
__________________
My Tinkering and wheeling thread http://tinyurl.com/pbwdm5u
aw12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #3328
LilViper95
Web Wheeler
 
LilViper95's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Glenburn, Maine
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post

It's a custom front shaft with 2" 120 wall I had it built for flop and as I was building thought I had measured correctly for it to fit. 450.00 for this and now i need to lengthen. I was mainly asking if its safe to go out to 44" ?
My front drive shaft is 43.5" at ride height after the aw4 swap I had to have it re-tubes.
__________________
04 Ram 2500 5.9L 24v HO Cummins

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #3329
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,258
The lack of a front drive shaft won't keep you off the road.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #3330
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95

My front drive shaft is 43.5" at ride height after the aw4 swap I had to have it re-tubes.
Cool, no vibration issues?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.