A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive" - Page 217 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3241 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
After more testing for leaks on the exhaust another issue has risen. The Jeep will purrr like a kitten, one tap of the throttle and she back fires then returns to a perfect idle. I am thinking 3 things.

1. CPS faulty since I have a code for it.

2. Bad ground likely

3. Dirty IAC valve.

Ideas?

Going to add all the fluids and get her up to a good operating temp tomorrow night.

Hendrix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3242 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Here is a quick vid of the Jeep running and the problem i have now.

Acting up
Hendrix is offline  
post #3243 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM
 
Jeffro06's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Total
Posts: 9,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Here is a quick vid of the Jeep running and the problem i have now.

Acting up
No clue what that is.....good luck man.
Jeffro06 is offline  
post #3244 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
twinstickd20
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: nashville
Posts: 1,898
What codes is it throwing?
twinstickd20 is offline  
post #3245 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20 View Post
What codes is it throwing?
um a CPS and a battery temp.
Hendrix is offline  
post #3246 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
twinstickd20
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: nashville
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix

um a CPS and a battery temp.
Cps could make it do that
twinstickd20 is offline  
post #3247 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstickd20

Cps could make it do that
That's what I am thinking, it reads the signal fine at idle, then loses it at anything above it.
Hendrix is offline  
post #3248 of 5952 Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 PM
twinstickd20
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: nashville
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix

That's what I am thinking, it reads the signal fine at idle, then loses it at anything above it.
Do you have an ohm meter? You can try testing it but it may pass the test but still be bad
Attached Thumbnails
image-3059349909.jpg  
twinstickd20 is offline  
post #3249 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 AM
H3lzsn1p3r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: eganville
Posts: 156
replace cps it should cure the problem don't bother testing it its a cheap part

a ground wont do that and iac would only make it stall when you let off the gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Hehehe...SoccerLockers. That's what I'm calling Obvious Moms in Rubicons from now on.
91 yj renegade
98 ram 1500
H3lzsn1p3r is offline  
post #3250 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
replace cps it should cure the problem don't bother testing it its a cheap part

a ground wont do that and iac would only make it stall when you let off the gas
Thanks, that's why I posted the CPS first.

I figure my cps is covered with tiny metal shavings since there is not a cover, and my motor was exposed through most of the fabrication process.


After some research, the cps also tends to be the culprit in the gauges not working properly in some cases also. How they are related i do not know. But, most of the Cherokee guys said when they replaced the cps there gauges worked correctly also.
Hendrix is offline  
post #3251 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Ok so the tera flex yoke conversion is on its way.

Stopping at pick a part on the way home to grab some bolts for the u bolts and out put flange on the t case.

Jeff (NashvilleTJ) stopped by today with my new brake booster. Thanks Again

Hopefully I can get her running tonight with water in her.
Hendrix is offline  
post #3252 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM
The_Eng
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 338
Hendrix, work has been crazy this week and we just finished moving. I should have measurements on that driveshaft this afternoon

2002 WJ Limited - Stock except for some 245/65R17's
1998 TJ Sport - 285/70R17 on JK Moabs
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline  
post #3253 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
Hendrix, work has been crazy this week and we just finished moving. I should have measurements on that driveshaft this afternoon
No problem man.
Hendrix is offline  
post #3254 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
WildBlue
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 78
Just as an addition to this, I just replaced my engine in January, I also had CPS/distributor related issues after all was said and done. Come to find out, after taking it to two mechanics and a Jeep dealership, the timing was off by 18 degrees and the check engine light wouldn't go off. It was a Crank Posistion Sensor and Cam Position Sensor problem. The distributor was off by ONE tooth. It idled like a champ though. Hearing that backfire makes me think the timing is off just a touch. Mine did that was well...takes a lot of little fine tuning to get it just right. We farted with mine for two days before taking it to a professional. And in the end a Jeep dealership was the only one who could fix it. Apparently the timing is set different than just TDC and 0 degrees, because that's how we set mine and it was off. We even changed both sensors and nothing changed. So if you change sensors and it still does it, I would look at the timing.

HTH,

Trey
WildBlue is offline  
post #3255 of 5952 Old 09-05-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013
 
Hendrix's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Myers
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlue
Just as an addition to this, I just replaced my engine in January, I also had CPS/distributor related issues after all was said and done. Come to find out, after taking it to two mechanics and a Jeep dealership, the timing was off by 18 degrees and the check engine light wouldn't go off. It was a Crank Posistion Sensor and Cam Position Sensor problem. The distributor was off by ONE tooth. It idled like a champ though. Hearing that backfire makes me think the timing is off just a touch. Mine did that was well...takes a lot of little fine tuning to get it just right. We farted with mine for two days before taking it to a professional. And in the end a Jeep dealership was the only one who could fix it. Apparently the timing is set different than just TDC and 0 degrees, because that's how we set mine and it was off. We even changed both sensors and nothing changed. So if you change sensors and it still does it, I would look at the timing.

HTH,

Trey
Thanks man, I read the distributor needs to be set just in front of the number 1 post, because of the spiral gear . When the distributor is set in position it will turn the shaft just a little to throw off the timing if not position perfectly. That's why they have a pin that is factory set and removed after the distributor is installed. I will look into it before I buy the $80 CPS.
Hendrix is offline  
Reply

Tags
aev , brute , custom , homebrute tj truck , indyorv , rokmen , tnjeeps

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
The Survivor Project-driveway frame swap/33's "build" EricsGreen98Tj Jeep Builds 75 05-15-2016 10:49 AM
WeatherWarrior's "you better not call it a build" build thread. WeatherWarrior Jeep Builds 10 12-12-2011 05:31 PM
An XJ named "Clotile" tactical40cal Jeep Builds 42 10-09-2011 11:18 PM
1997 TJ "Angry Wolf" Redneck Body Shop Build NorthWhiteWolf Jeep Builds 389 06-17-2010 06:33 PM
98 TJ Build Named Jasper mtflyboy25 Jeep Builds 1 01-23-2010 10:11 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome