Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A TJ truck build named "Dumpster Dive"

994K views 6K replies 336 participants last post by  NashvilleTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Another TJ build with not so much bling,except where needed. Very few bolt on mods, and a ton of custom mods.

I acquired a 1997 TJ project that had been abandoned by a few previous owners. I felt like the TJ needs another chance to make it out of the garage for good and not to go to the crusher.

Now on with the plan. I want to build this Jeep by the EJS 2013. I am not really set on a final date, But I figured a year would be good. I do not plan on updating the build daily nor do I plan on working on the Jeep everyday of the next year. So, I will add good updates every week or so when progress is good.

Here is the low down. The Jeep has a clean frame, no rust at all. The body is also rust free. The Jeep came to me as a frame and tub, with a 4.0 and AW4. The AW4 will be going in my other Jeep, and the 4.0 will probably get parted out. (I still do not know what I want as a power plant.) 5.3 and a 4L60 is what will probably end up in it.

Most of the parts used in this build will come from Junkyards, trash bins, dumpsters, wrecked TJs, and any other donated parts...

What I have collected so far.

I thought I would add a price list to the build as I go along..

Bought the Jeep for 200.00
Sold the door surrounds on ebay +145.00
Sold the sound bar on ebay +95.00

So far, + $40.00

(4) Old style MTRs 37" really just 35" tall 150.00

Total money out of pocket today 1-2-12 110.00

Bed components, Sides, Factory corners, Belt rails, 450.00

Tacoma Bed inner assembly Free
Front suspension links (JJs and Mid arm links)
Rear XJ leaf springs
Stock Hood Free
Stock grille shell Free
OEM radiator Free

JK D44 rear with 4:10 gears and track loc 300.00
Stock front fenders and rear flares Free

Body work:

Custom cut tub to make 2 seater cab
Custom Highline stock fenders
Hendrix Hood mod with vents
Custom wrap around bed assembly with drop down tail gate (53" bed)

Frame work:

Relocate the steering box bracket for front stretch
Custom frame built front bumper with grille hoop and winch protector
High clearance front lower link mounts
Custom Coilover hoops up front
Custom shock hoops in the rear
Custom rear leaf hangers
Custom back half rear frame for leafs and extended WB for bed / Reason "Simplicity, Red_Smoke says it works" :laugh:
Ruffstuff anti-wrap kit

Total out of pocket: 2-20-12 $960.00

Pictures to come soon.....:rtft:

I will reserve a few posts so please no comments till I get about 10 posts saved to keep the build clean in the future. :wave:

It may look dumb with 10-11 posts reserved, but you guys will thank me 2 years from now when trying to look at the build. :duhrock:

Photoshopped version of this build. Thanks to XJAbuzer.

The real thing.

See less See more
#3,895 ·
Drove the Jeep today with no shocks in the rear. The rear feels the same as the front soft, now the question is..... The front to soft and the rear to stiff causing the harshness in the ride? Do I stiffen the front up a tiny bit? And soften the rear to make them equal? I know I am going to send the shocks out to Wayne at Alltech, he can soften the shocks, but I need to get the springs equal front and rear.

#3,898 ·
A shock tune should be the last thing you do. It's an important step, but if you are still adding weight to the car, I would wait.

#3,899 ·
REDLYNER said:
A shock tune should be the last thing you do. It's an important step, but if you are still adding weight to the car, I would wait.
True, but for now I NEED to get it close. It's killing me as it is. This is my ONLY transportation at the moment.

#3,900 ·
I feel your pain. My light rear is too light for my bilstiens 255/70. So I am going with a lighter valving.

Try adding a bunch of weight to the rear and just see if it softens it up, then you know what you should do as far as adjustments. The front could be too soft, but the rear seems to be set for a heavier body on the back. Which gives you the kick.

Any chance you know the valving?

#3,901 ·
JJeeper09 said:
I feel your pain. My light rear is too light for my bilstiens 255/70. So I am going with a lighter valving. Try adding a bunch of weight to the rear and just see if it softens it up, then you know what you should do as far as adjustments. The front could be too soft, but the rear seems to be set for a heavier body on the back. Which gives you the kick. Any chance you know the valving?
Yeah, added the weight last week. Got a little better. The shocks are factory set at 40/60

#3,904 ·
aw12345 said:
Buy some cheap shocks for the rear, Like Rancho's or something and chuck some weight in the rear and see where that takes you for the time being
Got a set of skyjacker shocks I am going to try for now. If they work ok, I can use them when my shocks are at Alltech.

#3,906 ·
Before you send the shocks out and after you have a final weight of the truck have the whole Jeep, then the front and lastly just the rear weight at a truckstop and give those numbers to Wayne, then let him do his thing with the shocks and see if he can recommend some springs for your coilovers up front.

#3,907 ·
aw12345 said:
Before you send the shocks out and after you have a final weight of the truck have the whole Jeep, then the front and lastly just the rear weight at a truckstop and give those numbers to Wayne, then let him do his thing with the shocks and see if he can recommend some springs for your coilovers up front.
Right on Art.

#3,909 ·
Back on jackstands. I decided to jump right in tonight. :D

I started by setting her back on jackstands then removing the wheels and tires. Then next up the leafs. There out and ready to pull the second to main stock leaf.

I have the inner fenders trimmed to fit, I will also be bonding and welding them in this weekend.

Tomorrow night: reinstall leafs,shocks and shortend rear DS.

Work for the weekend:

Finish inner fenders, finish cage, fix gear selector, trim center console to fit, wire speakers, install top latches on top behind seats, install tailgate cables.

#3,911 ·
joeyk803c said:
You going to leave the bed fenders like that (minus paint)? They just look too boring like that, imo.
Recessed tool boxes and flush tie downs later on. Once the cage is in there and the spare mount, there will be storage under the spare also.

#3,915 ·
G Beasley said:
The inners look good , are you going the ammo can route for sunken storage ?
No, not enough room. I will just have the shop I used brake me some boxes and put lids on them, then weld them into the tops of the fenders. Not dry storage but added storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.