From Tj To Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > From Tj To Rubicon

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
MelvinPickett

From Tj To Rubicon

OK Im sure that this has been touch on before. I have a 97 TJ. Four cylinder. I have found a 06 rubicon. I want to swap all the running gear over to my rig. both 44's the trans and t case with the 6 cylinder. My TJ has a 4 cylinder and the dana 35 and 30. Can anyone give me some insight as to how monumental of a task is this? Thanks. I welcome any PM's from the forum.

MelvinPickett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What's wrong with the Rubi that you want to strip it of it's dignity?
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Better get permission from the owner first
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
What's wrong with the Rubi that you want to strip it of it's dignity?
Something wrong with that Fuzz?

OP, unless there is something wrong with the Rubi I suggest you just use it and not bother with the swap. Seems like way more trouble than it is worth.

Swapping the axles is a simple matter of unbolting from the Rubi and bolting onto the 4banger, but the engine swap is a completely different matter. I'm no expert, but there are a lot of differences not only between 4 cyl and 6 cyl models, but also between early and late model TJs. It could be done, but in my opinion the amount of work required would not be worth it, especially if there is nothing wrong with the Rubicon you would be neutering.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
matt93
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah dude you're probably just better off swapping whatever mods you have from the 97 to the rubi

[COLOR="DarkRed"][/COLOR]Siena Pearl Owners Member 57
matt93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
matthewlee
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post

OP, unless there is something wrong with the Rubi I suggest you just use it and not bother with the swap. Seems like way more trouble than it is worth.

Swapping the axles is a simple matter of unbolting from the Rubi and bolting onto the 4banger, but the engine swap is a completely different matter. I'm no expert, but there are a lot of differences not only between 4 cyl and 6 cyl models, but also between early and late model TJs. It could be done, but in my opinion the amount of work required would not be worth it, especially if there is nothing wrong with the Rubicon you would be neutering.
lol neutering...

And this should be moved to the tech section...
matthewlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Keep your dirty little secret to yourself.
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
MelvinPickett

Oh man! I guess I did not give enough info on my posting. The rubicon that I have found is rolled. The truck is really messed up. I can get a good deal on picking up the truck a whole. So is guess a better question is it better to do a frame off and swap tubs or to attempt to move the running gear over to my TJ. I hope this makes more sense.
MelvinPickett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Swap the tubs, unless the frame is bent.
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A frame off swap is an okay idea if the frame on the rubi wasn't tweaked in the roll. In my experience most Jeep roll-overs result in frame damage. When I rebuilt my LJ it had been in a roll-over and screwed up the frame pretty good. Without seeing the damage myself though I can't make any assumption as to whether this is the case with yours.

But, as I said before, there are differences between early and late model TJs. I have no idea whether this would effect you in a frame off swap (I've only ever done frame off swaps between 2 late model TJs), so you will need to look into that before persuing that possibility. Also, this would be a pretty big job, and that's assuming you have the right tools to do so. At the very least you could take the axles and part out the rest. Before you buy I also suggest you inspect the axles, transfer case, and transmission for any damage from the wreck. If any of them are damaged then your investment will lose value big time.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.