TJ Rubi on 9s - Learning the hard way - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TJ Rubi on 9s - Learning the hard way

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #31
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That is a good little welder , I learned on the 100HD and with good prep you can make some nice welds .

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know much about 9" axles but built the axle as strong as you can afford, with the beefiest parts. In the end you will be glad you did.
That way in the dunes you can run paddles and go to town, mud dog if you want too. Be strong enough for rock crawling with whatever size tire you might buy somewhere of in the future. Cutting some brackets of or making longer control arms is cake. Having good strong axles and lockers is the basis you built around, for reliability.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #33
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Don't know much about 9" axles but built the axle as strong as you can afford, with the beefiest parts. In the end you will be glad you did. That way in the dunes you can run paddles and go to town, mud dog if you want too. Be strong enough for rock crawling with whatever size tire you might buy somewhere of in the future. Cutting some brackets of or making longer control arms is cake. Having good strong axles and lockers is the basis you built around, for reliability.
Thanks for the input Art, I've kind of been in a stall. At this point I am a fair amount over budget no matter what I do...I kind of like to dive in and then dig myself out! No matter how badly I'd like to go full float in the rear, I think I'm going to go the set 80 semi float route as it seems a good compromise between strength and affordability. I've been talking with one of the Currie guys for a week now, I'm going to call tomorrow and we'll see what I walk away with .

This may result in my not stretching for a bit but I can always do that in the future...one project at a time!
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #34
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
Thanks for the input Art, I've kind of been in a stall. At this point I am a fair amount over budget no matter what I do...I kind of like to dive in and then dig myself out! No matter how badly I'd like to go full float in the rear, I think I'm going to go the set 80 semi float route as it seems a good compromise between strength and affordability. I've been talking with one of the Currie guys for a week now, I'm going to call tomorrow and we'll see what I walk away with .

This may result in my not stretching for a bit but I can always do that in the future...one project at a time!
It's good to start with a strong foundation, stretching isn't a big thing to do after you got the axles built and under the Jeep

Unread 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Work has been crazy this past week, finally got in touch with Trail Gear today (their tech team was prepping for SEMA)...I was quickly passed off from one guy to the next. Not impressed with the customer service, no attempt to help me put a package together, just quick and curt. It basically solidified my going through Currie. I know that this is not a lot of money compared to what the big dogs spend but $1200 is nothing to shake a stick at for me!

Chris from Currie helped me out significantly, I will absolutely be going back to them in the future. Not cheap but hopefully worth it...the only criticism I have is shipping is an unknown, who knows how much it will cost (I hope not too bad!).

Heres what I bought:
1. set 80 semi float bearing cups
2. ford explorer disk brake kit with e brake drums
3. dual drill rotors 5x4.5 and 5x5.5
4. stainless hard line kit for rear axle
5. shorty caliper hoses
6. universal e brake cables

I then went to low range off road and bought a master install kit with a crush sleeve eliminator.

I am maxed out on my budget, I still have to buy rear shafts when I get it cut to size (and when I save up another $400-500) and I have to decide if I am keeping my 31 spline detroit locker or if I am selling and upgrading to a 35 spline unit. I also need to buy suspension brackets when i figure out what I'm doing there!

Man I am nervous! tomorrow I hope to open and play with my welder a bit
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #36
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I should probably get an input yoke too otherwise it's unlikely to turn . I plan to send my reasonably new tom woods double cardan shaft back to them for lengthening should I stay with 1310 or go up in yoke size?
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #37
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I should probably get an input yoke too otherwise it's unlikely to turn . I plan to send my reasonably new tom woods double cardan shaft back to them for lengthening should I stay with 1310 or go up in yoke size?
Never hurts to go up, better to do it now than later.
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When you built the axles up it doesn't hurt to upgrade the driveshafts. 1350 U joints take a lot more abuse

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #39
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
When you built the axles up it doesn't hurt to upgrade the driveshafts. 1350 U joints take a lot more abuse
Good call guys, for some reason I was focusing on the pinion spline count thinking that it would be the weak link even on a 1310 joint but I completely neglected the other forces exerted to the u-joint itself. Ordered a 1350 yoke today, thanks for the advice.

Watching this thread may be like watching a train wreck in extremely slow motion for some of you more experienced guys but I can't tell you how much I appreciate the input!
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #40
Sac2013
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing research on building a F9 for the rear of my Jeep, the cost adds up quick. This is the break down I'm looking at & I'm sure I'm still missing parts & doesn't include shipping.

Rock Assault 9" Rear Roller Kit w/ 3.5"-1/4" Tubes - $1,574.00
Unit Hubs
Unit Bearing Pockets
Rock Assault 9” Seal Housing Kit
Rock Assault 9" Fully Loaded Brake Kit

M.O.R.E. Ford 8.8 Axle Swap Kit - $347.00

Rock Assault 9" Rear Axle Shafts w/ 35-Splines - $356.00

TrueHi9 3rd Member w/ 35 Spline ARB Locker - $2,859.00

Total:$5,136.00

Good luck with your build, will be keeping an eye on it.
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #41
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, yeah that's going to be a pretty sweet axle, the full float and the truhi9 and the 3.5 inch tubes are going to make it pretty amazing. A bit out of my price range though! I'd like to get a full roller kit for the front axle and trail gear makes about the most affordable kit out there.

I'll have the set 80 bearings, semi float, 3" tubes, low pinion and a truss (custom). Read up on the arbs in a 9 inch, I've read mixed reviews, detroits seem to have a better rep for the 9 inch. I have no idea the validity of the info I've seen, just throwing it out there.
Unread 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha, yeah that's going to be a pretty sweet axle, the full float and the truhi9 and the 3.5 inch tubes are going to make it pretty amazing. A bit out of my price range though! I'd like to get a full roller kit for the front axle and trail gear makes about the most affordable kit out there.

I'll have the set 80 bearings, semi float, 3" tubes, low pinion and a truss (custom). Read up on the arbs in a 9 inch, I've read mixed reviews, detroits seem to have a better rep for the 9 inch. I have no idea the validity of the info I've seen, just throwing it out there.
If you are going to be doing winter driving on the road the Detroit might not be the best choice

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #43
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I too would avoid a Detroit in the snow.....too unpredictable in slick conditions at higher speeds.
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #44
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311
I too would avoid a Detroit in the snow.....too unpredictable in slick conditions at higher speeds.
This is a decision I need to make very soon, I need some funds to recharge first, hopefully the 31 spline Detroit in my possession will sell to help offset the cost. Either way I'd like to go 35 spline right out of the gate.

As for which locker, I need to do a bit more research. The jeep doesn't get driven a lot in the winter time anyway so I'm not ruling out the Detroit just yet, at $600 it's hard to beat for the durability many people seem to swear by. I'd love a selectable but choices seem pretty limited for the 9 inch. Haha it sounds stupid but in order to get the axle built some part if me is thinking of just going to a 35 spline open carrier for the time being just to manage costs. I don't want to do this but it is an option.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #45
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

With the way this axle build is going, I would hold off on the locker right now if you don't have the funds for a selectable. Honestly, once you get a selectable, you will never go back. You won't regret waiting either.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.