TJ Rubi on 9s - Learning the hard way - Page 12 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes View Post
Maybe it's just an illusion but the rock jock 60 appears to be a lot shorter then a conventional 60.
I can't speak on the 60's with much authority, but I can categorically state that Jay's housings are not obtrusive at all; they're very slim and trim, especially considering their beef content. I don't know that they've got any more clearance than the RJ's rotated housing, but if I was told to choose between a built 9" and a built 60, the 60 would probably get kicked out of the golf cart.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with the rock jock just for the higher pinion. Low pinions suck.
post #168 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'd go with the rock jock just for the higher pinion. Low pinions suck.
Hi9? It's only about $1000 more than a well-built 9" third...less, if you build it yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #169 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Hi9? It's only about $1000 more than a well-built 9" third...less, if you build it yourself.
The OP said it was between the lp9 or rj60, so that's what I was commenting on. If we are talking hi9 I'd always pick it over the rj60.
post #170 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The OP said it was between the lp9 or rj60, so that's what I was commenting on. If we are talking hi9 I'd always pick it over the rj60.
I wasn't arguing or counterpointing...I was just throwing the idea out there for consideration.

post #171 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid
Haha, see this is my conundrum. The RJ 60 wouldn't even be on my radar aside from the fact a nice shiny housing popped up on pbb's classifieds somewhat local to me. The other thing with the RJ60 is it comes with a skid plate, no additional drop out needed, used lockers come up for 60s far more then 9s and it's already seemingly setup for the width and caster I'd shoot for anyway - the cs are already tig'd on.

The big downside for me is that it must weigh a ton with the cast iron chunk and 1/2" tube. The other negatives are that I can't just carry a spare drop out setup (down the road).

There's no way I can afford a tru hi9 right now so if I follow my build plans, it'd be a LP 9 with a nice currie skid plate/pinion guard setup.

Of coarse just to mess with me further a set of ruff stuff 9" housings just came for sale on pbb as well, the ruff stuff housings are very similar in design to my ballistic fab rear so it would look at home if I went that route too. Plus I wouldn't have to change the name of the thread.

Haha, I'm confused

My "hard way" build -
post #172 of 273 Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Plus I wouldn't have to change the name of the thread.
Well, this is the truly crucial part, right here...

post #173 of 273 Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
Well, this is the truly crucial part, right here...
Haha, I through a reasonable offer in on the ruffstuff front 9 housing...we'll see

My "hard way" build -
post #174 of 273 Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The guy on pirate basically wants the same pricing as ruff stuff does for the housings. They are 670 - 10% + shipping, dude wants 650 shipped. Plus the guy told me on the phone he's a ruff stuff dealer so I'm sure he paid even less. Anyway, no hurry, I'm more interested in getting the shocks refurbed and buying two matching fronts.

My "hard way" build -
post #175 of 273 Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

alright so its been a week since I've updated my thread, I'm working on getting some coil overs and I need some opinions from the squad. I sold my 2.5"x 14" resi shocks and god knows I want the 2.5x14" resi coil overs but its a substantial cost difference. I have bummed around a lot looking for COs so I should be pretty in tune with the cost setback but for some reason it never clicked until now .

I can afford all 4pcs of 2.5 x 14" emulsion coil overs (no reservoirs) or I can buy 4pcs of 2.0 x 14" remote reservoir coil overs (which would save me about $200).

OR

I could spend another $650 I could get the 2.5x14" COs with reservoirs. This is possible but a lot to bite off so I'd like to get some thoughts. I am tempted to go with the 2.5"x14" emulsions because I can always add reservoirs to them at a later point (possibly even buy some of the hardware at Parker and then just the reservoir canisters from Fox). Thoughts?

Edit: I also have to replace the tires on my Ram pretty soon, what I buy here will have an impact on the tires I can buy for the truck . I'll be asking for suggestions on these in the next few days too!

My "hard way" build -
post #176 of 273 Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 AM
Danno6102
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
alright so its been a week since I've updated my thread, I'm working on getting some coil overs and I need some opinions from the squad. I sold my 2.5"x 14" resi shocks and god knows I want the 2.5x14" resi coil overs but its a substantial cost difference. I have bummed around a lot looking for COs so I should be pretty in tune with the cost setback but for some reason it never clicked until now .

I can afford all 4pcs of 2.5 x 14" emulsion coil overs (no reservoirs) or I can buy 4pcs of 2.0 x 14" remote reservoir coil overs (which would save me about $200).

OR

I could spend another $650 I could get the 2.5x14" COs with reservoirs. This is possible but a lot to bite off so I'd like to get some thoughts. I am tempted to go with the 2.5"x14" emulsions because I can always add reservoirs to them at a later point (possibly even buy some of the hardware at Parker and then just the reservoir canisters from Fox). Thoughts?

Edit: I also have to replace the tires on my Ram pretty soon, what I buy here will have an impact on the tires I can buy for the truck . I'll be asking for suggestions on these in the next few days too!
If you plan on racing it, definitely go with 2.5". If you can wait for the resi's, get them, if not, do the emulsion & add the resi's later. What is the additional cost to add resi's to the emulsions? If you never plan on racing, the 2.0's would be plenty.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
post #177 of 273 Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102
If you plan on racing it, definitely go with 2.5". If you can wait for the resi's, get them, if not, do the emulsion & add the resi's later. What is the additional cost to add resi's to the emulsions? If you never plan on racing, the 2.0's would be plenty.
Thanks Danno, that's been my thoughts as well, I am more likely to be going fast then anything, I like the sand dunes .

It's about 250-260 in parts from poly performance per shock to change an emulsion to reservoir. I've decided in better off just buying what I want up front, I'm going to order the 2.5x14" remote resis tomorrow .

I'll wait for springs until I actually design the suspension.

My "hard way" build -
post #178 of 273 Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes
Thanks Danno, that's been my thoughts as well, I am more likely to be going fast then anything, I like the sand dunes . It's about 250-260 in parts from poly performance per shock to change an emulsion to reservoir. I've decided in better off just buying what I want up front, I'm going to order the 2.5x14" remote resis tomorrow . I'll wait for springs until I actually design the suspension.
Just pulled the trigger and bought my 2.5" coilovers with remote reservoirs...pumped is not descriptive enough! Just waiting to hear about lead time!

My "hard way" build -
post #179 of 273 Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Sundowner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Just pulled the trigger and bought my 2.5" coilovers with remote reservoirs...pumped is not descriptive enough! Just waiting to hear about lead time!

post #180 of 273 Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have any experience with running a Cooper Discoverer ATP on a half ton truck? Thinking about getting a set of these for my Ram.

My "hard way" build -

Tags
9 inch , aev , rear shock bolts , rokmen , shobes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.