TimV's 2003 Rubicon build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TimV's 2003 Rubicon build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #91
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Upper link mounts on. Not crazy about where they located, but that's where they want to be. The joints clear the corners of the truss, so that's good enough for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1371350422012.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #92
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got all my links in and I'm checking everything out. Looks like I'll have about 3/4" to the floor at full bump with the upper mounts. Good thing I cut the truss down an inch. The picture is approximately full bump. I don't have spring perches on yet, and I ran out of jack.

1371398329974.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #93
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like its coming along.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #94
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Flipped the hubs for the calipers, and throwing some paint on the links.

1371410784811.jpg   1371410794239.jpg  
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #95
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hit a snag tonight. One of the joints won't thread into the arm. It feels like there is a small piece of welding slag in the threads. Seems to be confirmed when I tried to force it a bit and it came back out with a line perfectly splitting one of the first threads in half. Asking a couple friends who may be able to help out, but I am going to ask here as well.

Anyone have a 1 1/4-12 RH thread tap I can use? I'll pay all shipping costs of course.

If I can't find one, I'll have to order another insert and hope it gets here quick.
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #96
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got lucky today. The machine shop next door actually had a tap. Ran it through and there was a definite rough spot. Nice and smooth now. Hopefully I can get most of the suspension done tonight. I at least plan to get the coil buckets on.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #97
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lower coil buckets are on. Looks like I will be able to support a 10" travel shock now with the outboard. Guess I better order those.

1371510383351.jpg  
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #98
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had a decent night of production today. At least it feels like I got a lot done. I got the exhaust shortened up a bit so it clears the upper arm. It was a chore because I had to drop the whole exhaust. Anyone who has dropped the exhaust on a late TJ with the mini cats knows now much of a pain that is. Put it back up and the muffler was against the transfer case. A few swings of the hammer, and the muffler was adjusted to fit.

After that, I got the lower shock mounts tacked in place. Since I'm doing the outboard, the lowers could be mocked up with my old shocks, and I can adjust the uppers to fit.

To top it off, I pulled the axle again. I've lost count of how many times this is, but this may be the last time. Just need to burn in the shock mounts, and drill and tap a new axle vent. That's my goal for tomorrow night.

Oh, I also ordered new shocks last night. Should be in Thursday. Once they get here, I will be coming down the home stretch.
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #99
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not too fond of where your upper axle mounts are located.

Have you checked your measurements and considered putting them closer together?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #100
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
I'm not too fond of where your upper axle mounts are located.

Have you checked your measurements and considered putting them closer together?
I'm not too fond of it either. However, there isn't really a way to put them closer. I put the frame mounts where I wanted them. Then got my lowers all set. Then made up the upper arms. I put the uppers in the frame brackets, and centered the edges of the joints. Where the uppers ran to on the truss is where they went. If I moved them closer, it would screw up the angles in the brackets. All in all, it shouldn't matter much. Just looks a little funny.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #101
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
I'm not too fond of it either. Just looks a little funny.
nothing wrong with the way you went about placing those link mounts. when mid arm 4 linking with the artec or poly combo joints they place the uppers a bit wider than you typically see. The needed triangulation is still there.

your frame side mounts are almost exactly where mine are. bolt in line with the last of the three center body mounts

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #102
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine sit very slightly in front of the bolts. I lined up the bottom plate of the bracket with the second little slot in the frame. The control arm bolt ends up about an inch in front of the body mount bolt.

Don't get me wrong, I know there's nothing wrong with how the uppers sit, its just not as pretty looking as I would like.
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #103
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got a coat of magic rust prevention spray tonight. Also got the new axle vent tapped. Planning to get the caliper lines switched around, and get the axle back under there tonight. Tomorrow the shocks are supposed to be here. Should be able to get them mounted up tomorrow night. Hopefully driving it to work Friday.

1371685626694.jpg  
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #104
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

New shocks came in today! Of course they won't work. Apparently the spec chart I looked at is for the regular shocks, and not the Fox 2.0's. The ones I got are only 9.5" travel, instead of the expected 10.5" travel.

The good news is I talked to Gerald at Savvy, and he has some in stock. So I am actually getting 12" remote reservoir Fox shocks. Exciting, except my wallet is not the happiest.

Got the axle back under for hopefully the last time tonight. Since the shocks won't be here until late next week, I have some extra time. Tomorrow I plan to clean up a bit, then start putting stuff like the center skid back in place.
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #105
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Getting there. Getting everything else buttoned up while I wait for the shocks. I am very happy with the way everything looks so far. The control arm mounts are definitely tucked up more than before. Should help significantly in the rocks I like to play in.

1371907576036.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.