Thor's MetalCloak XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Thor's MetalCloak XJ Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thor's MetalCloak XJ Build

So today I come home from work to find these beautiful boxes waiting for me. So this coming weekend it will all be going on

mc-2-.jpg

mc-3-.jpg

xjblue01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
UGOTMUD

That lift is going to look sick in your Xj
UGOTMUD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

WOW WOW WOW .... Now that was a build well worth doing , kicked my *** a little bit but most definitely worth in the end . Pictures will come asap I will have to write up my build sheet and submit it but I will post a picture in the afternoon of the final product : wolverine:. Huge Huge Thank you to MetalCloak for the opportunity to enter the contest and all who voted for me & Second again to MetalCloak to giving me to absolute pleasure to run and try out one of the 1st lifts ever made for the Jeep Cherokee XJ by MetalCloak . Thank you & Thank You Matson from MetalCloak
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So day 1 of my install . Easier said then done lol . Well started with the rear leafs since it will be the easiest way to go . Now obv ran into some problems pulling out the bolts for the rear leaf springs since they were factory . So had to cut the ends and pull them out and replace with new grade 8 which was well worth it .Once having the bolts out became easier for the other side.
leafs.jpg  
rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

rear5.jpg

Last edited by xjblue01; 09-17-2014 at 06:57 PM..
Unread 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Pics?

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Good Luck! its been a lot of work... Have you followed the other two builds?

Mine:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-2570042/

97xjproject's:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ermit-2603930/
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

At this point in time with the rear leafs off I jumped in to install the rear shocks , It makes it a lot easier with the leafs out to get under and install them . After the rear shocks were in i started with the install of the beautiful new leafs. I also took the time to grind away any surface rust I had in any spot I saw and primed & painted it .
rearshock.jpg

rearshock2.jpg

rearbolt.jpg

rear.jpg

rearbox.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ya gotta give me a little lol i have to resize over 200 pixs and choose which ones to upload lol . I had my install done about a week and half ago but ive been so busy at work haven't had the chance to upload or start my write up well i did a power point wrote up for Matson, But haven't been able to do my detailed forum write up until now =) minus my pcm going on my jeep 2 days after the install and i've been waiting for the part & jeep will be back on the road tomorrow =)
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

circles : Ive been following yours Ive watched some of your youtube vids and just saw your write up when metalcloak put it up on their facebook page . I feel you pain man with the build it isn't easy when this is the 1st time a lift is going in . I've had 90% of my factory bolts off before with other lifts , Only rear problems i ran into were the rear leaf bolts and the one king bolt for the trackbar that was a PITA to get out lol
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now once I got the new leafs set into place things were starting to form =) . New u bolts in and cut down to size and look great , working in the street isn't the easiest but you do what ya have to do for your jeep lol . So new leafs are in sitting nicely and a big grin popped on my face after seeing how the jeep sat with them in. Once i had the new leafs in I put in the new provided rear bump stops & those are a huge difference then the factory stock ones well made
new-rear-ubolts.jpg

new-leaf1.jpg

new-leaf.jpg

new-leaf-.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Now once new leafs were in time to tackle the new rear brake lines , These lines are amazing nicely designed and beefy .Pulling the old lines off were a breeze and putting new one's in were 1,2,3 . Make sure everything was in place and tightened . new c clips were provided with the lines and re-location brackets as well .
rear-brake-line-1-.jpg

rear-brake-line-2-.jpg

rear-brake-line-3-.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Once the rear was all complete , Time to start with the front again any surface rust I found i cleaned up primed & painted , 1st i started with the coils & coil compressors are a must for this job or any new lift install makes things a lot easier to take off and to put on. Granted it still is a pita but well worth it to have
old.jpg

old-2.jpg

fresh-paint.jpg

fresh-pas.jpg

fresh-2.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finally have one side of the coils off the 2nd was a little more easier esp having the compressors . Now just hope putting in the new coils is easier but then again doing a lift before nothing is ever easy lol. Now both coils are off and everything is cleaned up ready for the new coils to go on . but before having the new coils on i took the time to pre prep my new upper and lower control arms since it makes it easier with the free space .
coil.jpg

coil2.jpg

coil3.jpg

coil4.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #14
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

with the front end down coils off i jumped a little ahead after taking my upper & lower control arms off and pre prepped the new 1s on here is the removal of the upper & lower arms . The upper bolts inside the bay were a tight squeeze with the deep sockets so had to break them with the breaker bar 1st with a smaller socket then work them with an open end wrench , made is a lot easier to work the bolts then pull them free. once again any surface rust that was found was primed & painted good thing my arms areas were pretty good so they just got cleaned up .
precoil2.jpg

upper1.jpg

upper2.jpg

Unread 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
xjblue01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

As you can also see in some of the pix from previous post i pre -started my holes for the pucks as well . easiest way to punch threw is with a corded drill more power and rpm then battery one. As i pre set the new upper and lower arms in i made sure i pre-set the measurements of my control arms , but you will be re-adjusting them once u set everything into place. Since the kit comes with a MIGHTY trackbar i also started to take one side off. here you can see my new uppers & lowers on waiting as i put my new coils in .
precoil.jpg

coil3.jpg

coil4.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.