THOR - DD/Weekend Warrior - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > THOR - DD/Weekend Warrior

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #196
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just realized I ordered YJ Corners :

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #197
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You might've noticed already, but I think the build is taking a turn in a different direction. I feel that striving to stay lightweight above all else is going to compromise my budget and the concept of keeping this fun. I still plan to build it right and with quality parts, I just can't justify the expenses of aluminum and other weight saving mods while going to college. After college I hope to start another build with a bigger budget that will follow along the lines of Rockmen's SkipWheat build, an uber reliable weekend-warrior (rebuilt motor, JJ arms, full armor, tuned suspension). But that's years from now. So back to the build. I emailed Morris 4x4, because I believe they made the mistake, not me. I'm also saving for a new top since both my window zippers are shot and I like the fast back style.

Unread 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #198
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

still checking in on this

it's coming along nicely, and i'm at about the same pace as you. At this current time, i can't decide if i want to drop coin on a full set of JJ control arms, or rear aluminum full armor. I wish i could just buy it all at once

also, what kind of taillights are those? i like the smoked look, i think they'll go good with my blue/black theme
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #199
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

At 18, I couldn't have even imagined being able to afford to build a nice TJ. Sometimes, you've got to step back and make sure things are inline....good call.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #200
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
still checking in on this

it's coming along nicely, and i'm at about the same pace as you. At this current time, i can't decide if i want to drop coin on a full set of JJ control arms, or rear aluminum full armor. I wish i could just buy it all at once

also, what kind of taillights are those? i like the smoked look, i think they'll go good with my blue/black theme
Thanks, well I already am taking care of the corners, but control arms was something as I was looking into. Since today was really slow at work, I've been researching building my own. It doesn't seem as hard as I thought, since i'm using stock mount locations. Either way new CA's are $$$. Got the LED's from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
At 18, I couldn't have even imagined being able to afford to build a nice TJ. Sometimes, you've got to step back and make sure things are inline....good call.
Yea, with college in 11 days, the cost of books and dorm **** has pretty much diminished my jeep budget to nothing but the last paycheck I get from work this week. Everything else will be Christmas presents.

Unread 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #201
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a Monroe Magnum SS from rockauto, supposedly better than the standard? I've driven 420 miles in the last 3 days due to a photo shoot all the way in NY. Made me think about how I changed almost all the fluids in the jeep, but not the sparks plugs. Might do that tonight along with finally getting the front DS in. I'm having trouble with the u-joints. Once the they're in, the snaprings aren't finding their grooves. They'll stay in, but when I force the other side in they both start flexing upward in the middle. Almost like my u-joints are slightly too big. I'll use the press today and see how that works.

Unread 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #202
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Ordered a Monroe Magnum SS from rockauto, supposedly better than the standard? I've driven 420 miles in the last 3 days due to a photo shoot all the way in NY. Made me think about how I changed almost all the fluids in the jeep, but not the sparks plugs. Might do that tonight along with finally getting the front DS in. I'm having trouble with the u-joints. Once the they're in, the snaprings aren't finding their grooves. They'll stay in, but when I force the other side in they both start flexing upward in the middle. Almost like my u-joints are slightly too big. I'll use the press today and see how that works.
Are you doing some part-time modelling to pay for Jeep parts, now?

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #203
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Are you doing some part-time modelling to pay for Jeep parts, now?
If it came to that, I would just go full-on prostitute and buy a newer Jeep I'm actually a photographer's assistant for a studio in Jersey.

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #204
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Woot woot, found some jeepers up by my campus! They've got nice trails up there too. Before heading out to Hershey, PA today I didn't have time to change the oil and Dad offered to pay for a change and fluid top off so we took his truck and the Jeep down to the local jiffy lube. While sitting in the waiting room, one of the mech's comes in and tells my Dad his coolant is almost completely diluted with water. My dad just had the whole system flushed like a month ago with new water pump. Then another comes in and reports my rear-diff fluid is old and needs replacing. If you look back a page, I JUST replaced it. They obviously based it off the eye-sore of a pinion seal leak under the D35 without even checking the fluid. They're quite con artists. smh.

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #205
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17
Woot woot, found some jeepers up by my campus! They've got nice trails up there too. Before heading out to Hershey, PA today I didn't have time to change the oil and Dad offered to pay for a change and fluid top off so we took his truck and the Jeep down to the local jiffy lube. While sitting in the waiting room, one of the mech's comes in and tells my Dad his coolant is almost completely diluted with water. My dad just had the whole system flushed like a month ago with new water pump. Then another comes in and reports my rear-diff fluid is old and needs replacing. If you look back a page, I JUST replaced it. They obviously based it off the eye-sore of a pinion seal leak under the D35 without even checking the fluid. They're quite con artists. smh.
Gotta love service center don't ya? Always looking for ways to make more money.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #206
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Gotta love service center don't ya? Always looking for ways to make more money.
They're as bad as lawyers. After that, it pissed me off to see them under my jeep.

Unread 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #207
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17

They're as bad as lawyers. After that, it pissed me off to see them under my jeep.
Thats why I just do my own work.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #208
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stabilizer in. Hinges are painted, finally! Need to press the bushings in though.

Unread 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #209
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved in to my dorm. Jeeps staying at home, hopefully I can get my hands on a parking permit. Old 32's are being sold and working in getting rid of the corners.

Unread 09-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #210
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My new offroad vehicle. Its got more aluminum than the Jeep! (for now). The campus ran out of parking eprmits, I was devastated, but a local jeeper offered his place for me to park it. Its so cool to have instant comradrie like that! He welds/fabs for a living as well, so expect to see an engine skid soon!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.