Thomas's Orange TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Thomas's Orange TJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thomas's Orange TJ

Well it's been a little over a year since I got my TJ and I am finally getting to the point where I am ready to start my build. This is on a high school budget, but when there's a will there's a way. A little history of the jeep, I got it last let's say August(ish) and got it just about bone stock. 153k on the 2.5L. No suspension or drivetrain upgrades, no armor, very few cosmetics. Overall they had just slapped on some chrome bullet wholes wrapped in 31x10.5 BFG A/T.

First thing I did was give her a proper name, NANCY! Now through the duration of the past year I had been overall more concerned with cosmetic upgrades, however the more I wheel it the more I spend getting parts ready for 35s.

Just to recap some of the main things I've done so far.

The first was the new soft top. Bestop Replace-a-Top in black diamond with tinted rears. Great addition and holds up great.

Soon there after it was on to bed-lining the tub. By far the bet mod to this day. Raptor Liner was my choice of ammo and I shot the whole thing myself. Came out extremely well. Couldn't have been more pleased.

The next big project I had was a touch screen Pioneer AVH-4600BT. I worked at my local car audio shop this summer and got some good deals on some custom work. New head unit as well as Kicker speakers all around and Alpine Type R tweeters in the custom door strap hook tweeter mount ordered from someone off the forum that I now cant remember.

After that much I got a Smittybiltt SRC Stinger Front Bumper and did some custom Plastidip work to black out the grill and add orange accents
along with new projector headlights and HID's

The most recent thing after that was the tire and wheel swap. Wish I would have just waited a while to do this and gone straight to 35s or atleast 33s but it's still killing it out on the trails so no complaints now. 31x10.5r15 Mickey Thompson MTZ wrapped around Procomp 7031. Nice little combo and it holds it down on the trails so they'll do until I can get 35s set up.

That's about where she sits today. I haven't been great about pictures up to this point but now that I have the thread started I'll be sure to get everything. Don't let the lack of pics in the first couple posts scare you away because I promise this will be a great build! I'll put some more pictures up of today's wheeling extravaganza and a couple others. Also gonna put a new post up tomorrow of the deal I got on craigslist for the d44 rear.

Unread 11-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some pictures from a couple wheeling trips. Nothing too major. Just got a new setup for taking pictures and videos while wheeling so I'll be sure to be better about that!
Unread 11-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

D44 Axle Dilema

So guys, I recently found a whole lot of items for a good deal on CL, Jeeper's best friend. I paid a total of $450 for everything because the guy had planned to use the parts however his TJ crapped out on him. The parts included were:

D44 with 4.88 gearing already installed
Advanced Adapters SYE Kit Brand New in box.
CV driveshaft (dont know much about conditon but either way he just threw it in there)
Eaton EPosi Limited Slip Differential for D30 Never installed.

All in all I'd say it was a pretty good find, except one part. Because I was so excited to have found a D44 with the right gearing in good conditon and all these other great parts for a great price, I totally forgot to ask what it came out of...
It was from a Scout 2 which ended up being semi dissapointing because of the shorter wheel base and the lug pattern. Not too hard of a fix obviously, i could just throw on some 1 inch 5x5.5 to 5x4.5 spacers and be good. Part of me just wants to take it as a sign though to go back to my original plan and get a Ford 8.8. Something about that just seems better to my I'm not sure why. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about an 8.8. Not sure which route I'm gonna go though because having the 4.88s already in there is very nice. I have it listed on craigslist right now though if I can get 250 out of it I think I'll take it and call it a good deal for the other parts and start looking for an 8.8. I'm not in any kind of rush right now because this build is gonna take me a while now that I'm at the expensive part (if there is any part that isn't ) but just trying to explore my options ATM. Any advice is appreciated! Glad I finally got this build moving in the right direction though! It's gonna be a fun ride!

Unread 11-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not too much to talk about today, had plans to reinstall and rewire my alpine type r tweeters but ended up getting caught up with some buddies which is never a bad thing! First thing I did this morning was wash her off after all the clay and mud from yesterday's wheeling trip. After cleaning her I realized how ugly and dirty the frame and wheel wells were looking graying, so time for a rattle can special! Much better than before.

After that I installed the new Rampage Roll Bar Grab Handles that I picked up at my local PepBoys for $15.

My final install of the day was a MiTGrip dash phone holder. I mounted it all the way out on the left of the dash. Perfect spot for taking first person view shots and films out on the trail from my phone.

Slow day but she builds on! Got a guy coming to look at the D44 tomrrow in hopes that I can find an 8.8!
Unread 11-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not too much to talk about today, had plans to reinstall and rewire my alpine type r tweeters but ended up getting caught up with some buddies which is never a bad thing! First thing I did this morning was wash her off after all the clay and mud from yesterday's wheeling trip. After cleaning her I realized how ugly and dirty the frame and wheel wells were looking graying, so time for a rattle can special! Much better than before.

After that I installed the new Rampage Roll Bar Grab Handles that I picked up at my local PepBoys for $15.

My final install of the day was a MiTGrip dash phone holder. I mounted it all the way out on the left of the dash. Perfect spot for taking first person view shots and films out on the trail from my phone.

Slow day but she builds on! Got a guy coming to look at the D44 tomrrow in hopes that I can find an 8.8!
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Slow Little Bit

Well guys, everythings been slowing down for a bit. Expensive plans unfortunately means long wait for high school students. Especially in my situation, work has slowed down quite a bit. Got everything I'm making going towards a saving for about $3000 step. Metalcloak fronts and rear, Ford 8.8, 35s, Suspenion Lift, Body Lift, MML. Big step but it's going to be a lot of saving. If anyone needs any work done in Fayetteville, NC let me know, I'm trying to find new ways to make some extra cash.

On a differnt note I got my first trip up to Uwharrie last weekend. Gotta thank my buddy Josh for taking me up there with him. Had a great time, not a ton of photos, but I do have videos I'm going to try to upload or atleast the links. Until next time guys, keep on keeping on!
Unread 12-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Slow Little Bit

Well guys, everythings been slowing down for a bit. Expensive plans unfortunately means long wait for high school students. Especially in my situation, work has slowed down quite a bit. Got everything I'm making going towards a saving for about $3000 step. Metalcloak fronts and rear, Ford 8.8, 35s, Suspenion Lift, Body Lift, MML. Big step but it's going to be a lot of saving. If anyone needs any work done in Fayetteville, NC let me know, I'm trying to find new ways to make some extra cash.

On a differnt note I got my first trip up to Uwharrie last weekend. Gotta thank my buddy Josh for taking me up there with him. Had a great time, not a ton of photos, but I do have videos I'm going to try to upload or atleast the links. Until next time guys, keep on keeping on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.