Third Time's the Charm LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Third Time's the Charm LJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #31
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I love having a job where I can research my build plans all night long. I have decided to go with the MetalCloak lift and ZJ Tie Rod. Now to save my pennies!

dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #32
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Some new hotness...

I picked up a Genright rear crossmember bumper from a local buddy with frame tie ins and rock lights for $100!

I also have my CB setup now. Cobra 19 Ultra III, rugged ridge dash mount, and firestik 3' antenna with all necessary mounts and wiring.

I have decided to keep the stock front bumper. I will add a RC winch plate and most likely an Engo winch with syn line. I'm all about keep the weight reasonable.
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #33
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good looking lj. I'm on my third jeep as well, and hoping to keep this one a while
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #34
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you are off to a good start.
Unread 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #35
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get that thing ready for the ExPo
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:29 PM   #36
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to try to have some decent stuff by then. Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm coming back from NOLA tomorrow. I should have some of the new parts installed in the next few weeks.
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #37
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

N'awlins is a lot of fun , and one of the best "eating" towns in the country . Your going to need some juice when you get back
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #38
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I need to not eat anything for a week. It was a delicious weekend away.
Unread 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just picked up a used set of rugged ridge 7" flares. That solves the fender issue on the cheap.
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Headlight Upgrade Stage 1

Yesterday marked stage 1 of my two stage headlight upgrade. This stage included H4 conversion housings and a BiXenon HID kit all from DDM Tuning. The reasoning behind the cheap H4 housing will be apparent in stage 2.

Right off the bat things didn't go smoothly. The bulb bases didn't want to seat in the housings flush. Nothing a light sanding with the dremel couldn't fix:

Like a glove:

One nice touch were the supplied boots. These will do the job of keeping crud and moisture out quite well:

Next up was sorting through the wiring. Looks like it is all there:

Out with the old:

And not so quickly on in with the new. As you can see in the next pic the locating tabs were no clocked properly on the new housings (they are marked with masking tape):

This left me with two options. Either bake the lights and reclock the (which is what I should have done) or use the aforementioned dremel and make new locating holes on the headlight buckets (which I did because I like to do such things). I transferred the approximate location of the mounting tabs using the previously mentioned masking tape as a guide and a sharpie:

I did this in increment as to not remove to much material and make for a loose fitting headlight:

Eventually I removed enough material to allow the headlights to locate and sit flush in the buckets. I waited for it to get dark before aiming everything. I did this at 25ft using my other car with properly aimed HIDs as a reference. Normally would use the horizontal centerline measurement at the headlight to do this, but the glare made me uncomfortable. Our other car is a Prius C and thus the headlights were at a much more bearable level for oncoming traffic.

I nearly forgot to mention, the little lady even got involved in this project. I was blessed with neither three nor small hands. Therefore, her assistance in holding the lights in place and fishing wires through small spaces was greatly appreciated.

The high beam on the driver side currently is inoperable. This was determined to be a harness issue and DDM Tuning is sending out a replacement as we speak. I have to say this is the first time I have ever received a defective unit from them. I will update this when the replacement harness arrives.

I will say this. If I were to do this again, I would spend the extra couple of dollars on Hella ECode housings. This would eliminate two issues: mounting alignment and excessive glare. However, stage 2 of the build with remedy the glare issue all together. For now, my wife can see better at night without blinding the bejebus out of everyone. Therefore, I am content for now. I will post pics later of the overall light output and the craptastic pattern .
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #41
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

As promised, output and pattern pics.

Output is great, but the pattern leaves a lot to be desired:

These will be very nice after stage 2 is complete:

As you can see the pattern is quite scattered:

The LED flood lights are less obnoxious:

On the road:

While I would not recommend people who drive a lot in the dark do this, it is a start. We do very little night driving right now. By the time we are ready to drive the LJ more often (good weather), stage 2 will completed.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #42
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you make it down to Asheville it would be cool to put these side by side with the Truck Lites and see how they compare .
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #43
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

They are quite bad right now. Way too scattered. Once I finish the second stage, they may give you a run for your money.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #44
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
They are quite bad right now. Way too scattered. Once I finish the second stage, they may give you a run for your money.
And this is why I bought the Truck Lites from Tim ... they are plug and play
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #45
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You're getting lazy in your old age

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.