Third Monkey YJ overbuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Third Monkey YJ overbuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, headed for the house, finally, and I have a loooonnnnggggg list of stuff I want to get done. I'm not going to take the time to type it all out in here, because it'll just be a bummer if I don't get it done.

A couple of things on the cooker... Got to thinking, thanks to Alex77cj7, about using Humvee wheels on these 1 ton axles. The set I found aren't horribly expensive, and come shod with 37" military Goodyears. Is just a thought.

Also looking at a set of waggy springs that Rambo 3485has extra. The way I understand it, it'll stretch me 2"on either end, and lift me up 2". Other than getting too tall for the garage, I'm not seeing a lot of drawbacks. A couple of other folks were talking good things about building custom bastard spring packs, so that's a possibility too. Although if I go to the 37's, I'll need a couple more inches of lift.

If anybody has any experience or comments on all this, please let me know.

In other, really good, news... My buddy back home says he can always tell when I'm about due back in town. He winds up with boxes showing up at his shop. Not disappointing this time either... should be a couple from the engine place, and several from Harbor Freight. Might even be a few others I forgot about...

Now to start the odyssey that will be my trip home. All I can say is my commute will involve sea travel, air travel and vehicular travel and an inordinate amount of hours... Bleah

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK, after about a 30 hour trip to get home from work, I hit the shop yesterday and actually got a fair bit of work done. Would have got more finished, but I was on the bike, and the rain kept screwing with me.

First off, the motor I had mocked up came apart, and I started getting it assembled for real, then ran out of parts. You would thing a $100 timing cover would come with a gasket and crank seal, but you would be incorrect. Can't Put the timing cover on until the seal is in it, can't degree the cam until the endplay is set, and can't do that without the timing cover... All stop on that project.

Next started on pulling the Ultra Low Output 2.5. Got the right fender off, and all but 1.5 of the bolts from the left side. Didn't do the last one at the bottom of the firewall because I didn't have a creeper, and didn't feel like rolling around on the floor. Yeah, I know... but it's my shop, and my rules...:-) I'll get started back up on Monday and get the other fender off, and all the fluids drained. If I can run down and borrow my buddies tranny jack, I'll get all that out. I had a guy that wanted the engine, but haven't heard from him in a while, so I don't know if he already found one. Either way, I have a pile of stuff to put up in Craigs List...

fender off, only a moderate PITA... those bolts have been on a long time.

Also on Monday I'm going to try to get the seats out, and maybe the roll bar. I want to strip the interior so I can get it sandblasted, then fix the rot, and POR15 and Monstaline the tub. Oh yeah, and at some point get some more engine put together.

The crappy weather... would have much preferred quietly drinking...

and a gratuitous shot of the shop...

I promise I will try and work harder on getting photos, and use a camera instead of the cheezy cell phone...

That's it for today, I'm taking the weekend off, and relaxing.

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Subbed! Can't wait to see those tons under it!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Me too... After looking at these photos again, I have to damn many toys!

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK, not really an update, but just thinking aloud so to speak. Had stuff to do yesterday, so of course it monsooned all day. Today I'm stuck inside, so it's been clear and fine. Don't that just figure.

So, back at it tomorrow; FedEx is promising me a couple boxes of tools, including a new welding machine, so need to do some 220v wiring at the shop. If you never hear from me again, it's because I'm crap at wiring...

Also on the slate is to get the front and bottom of the engine buttoned up, and the cam degreed in. Then I want to get the rest of the front clip pulled off, and maybe start on the transmission/transfer case dropping out.

That's it for now... hopefully some progress and new pics tomorrow!

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, a short update, since it's been almost a week. FedEx did indeed bring a fresh pile of toolage, including the welder, so that helped. Got pretty well through with the front clip removal, but haven't messed with yanking the engine. I have a buyer for it, so I'll wait until the end of next week to pull it out, when he can come get it, rather than tripping over it for a week.
The parts are piling in, and piling up... Amazing how a 2 bay shop can get full so fast. I really need to get rid of some stuff now to make room. When I was messing with bikes, it seemed there was too much space, now it's at a premium.
As far as parts, the NP 205 is in the shop, and I also have an NP208 in the back of the truck, along with the one ton front and rear axles. I'll get them shifted into the shop Monday, I reckon.
In other news, I did get rid of the two Harleys in the last bunch of pictures, and replaced them with a 2013 Street Glide! Yay me! Cheers to an expensive Friday!
Now if this damn rain would quit...

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpDave View Post
Alright, a short update, since it's been almost a week. FedEx did indeed bring a fresh pile of toolage, including the welder, so that helped. Got pretty well through with the front clip removal, but haven't messed with yanking the engine. I have a buyer for it, so I'll wait until the end of next week to pull it out, when he can come get it, rather than tripping over it for a week.
The parts are piling in, and piling up... Amazing how a 2 bay shop can get full so fast. I really need to get rid of some stuff now to make room. When I was messing with bikes, it seemed there was too much space, now it's at a premium.
As far as parts, the NP 205 is in the shop, and I also have an NP208 in the back of the truck, along with the one ton front and rear axles. I'll get them shifted into the shop Monday, I reckon.
In other news, I did get rid of the two Harleys in the last bunch of pictures, and replaced them with a 2013 Street Glide! Yay me! Cheers to an expensive Friday!
Now if this damn rain would quit...
I'm going to send you a friggin camera!
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #23
thatYJguy24
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome build. Don't hate on the 2.5 much tho lol. Some of us can only wish for a beautiful v8 swap. My 2.5 runs well even with 4.10 axle gears. Can't wait to get the 4.56's though. Are you doing this build solo? That's a lot to do. Anyways I'll be checking up on the build!! Good luck and let the jeep gods bless.
thatYJguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
I'm going to send you a friggin camera!
Actually, I have an amazing amount of camera gear, but usually think about taking photos about when stuff is finishing up, and I think, "gee, I should have made some photos". I still promise to try and do better, Ash...

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatYJguy24 View Post
Awesome build. Don't hate on the 2.5 much tho lol. Some of us can only wish for a beautiful v8 swap. My 2.5 runs well even with 4.10 axle gears. Can't wait to get the 4.56's though. Are you doing this build solo? That's a lot to do. Anyways I'll be checking up on the build!! Good luck and let the jeep gods bless.
Nah, the 2.5 is adequate, barely, and I could probably get a bit more zip out of this one if I tried. The plan from the beginning was to slip a mild V8 in, and go from there over time. That went out the window about the time I ordered the roller cam and aluminum heads...

Also, yes, I'm pretty much solo on this, although I do have some buddies I can call on if I get into a bind. The majority is not too much to handle, although would be easier to do with an extra set of hands. Maybe THAT's why Ash doesn't seem in such a big hurry to visit...

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nah, the 2.5 is adequate, barely, and I could probably get a bit more zip out of this one if I tried. The plan from the beginning was to slip a mild V8 in, and go from there over time. That went out the window about the time I ordered the roller cam and aluminum heads...

Also, yes, I'm pretty much solo on this, although I do have some buddies I can call on if I get into a bind. The majority is not too much to handle, although would be easier to do with an extra set of hands. Maybe THAT's why Ash doesn't seem in such a big hurry to visit...
Haha i would love to mess with a v8! All i get to play with is the inline 4 and 6
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK, update time. Got a bit done today, but honestly, the heat and humidity was killing me, so I was a bit lazy. To try and make the critics happy... I'll whack in a few miscellaneous photos.

First off, to get caught up from last week, here's the new bike...

Now, this morning, I decided that the 1 ton stuff needed to stop living in the back of the truck, so out they came.

Got them on the ground, amazingly without injury or damage. Turns out this was probably a 2 man job. Oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do.

It's a nasty beast, but yes, there are 14 bolts. 11 came out with a 9/16ths socket and an impact, the other 3 came out with a 13mm and a hammer.

And then the truth is revealed. 4:10 gears with a limited slip in the rear. I can live with that for now.

That was pretty much all I got done today. It was so hot and sticky it was better to hide in the A/C. And tomorrow is a brand new day. I do need to make some room in the shop... I wish somebody would buy that damn hard top...

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm excited to see the outcome. That engine is a beauty!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #29
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright then; if anybody is still following this thread, I first have to apologize for the hiatus in posting. The truth is that I have been incredibly busy with work and other things, and hadn't been sure what the future was going to hold. For a while relocation was a serious possibility, so flogging away on the Jeep came to a standstill.

During that period, of course, the planning and ambitions didn't even slow down. Among other things, I found a replacement for the "sport bar", and dragged it back to my liar.

[IMG][/IMG]

After that it was back to work for about 3 months straight, so nothing at all happened around here. Recently however, I got back, and we got to work. I did manage to drag a buddy in to help out, and even got a few photos as we went.

[IMG][/IMG]
The first step was to make the body fit the new set up. This involved cutting a bit of extra stuff off; like the back half of the tub.

[IMG][/IMG]
The new cage set up next to the existing Jeep. There was a lot of measuring, thinking and hemming and hawing going on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next we got the new cage placed on the frame, and an idea of how it is all going to work.

[IMG][/IMG]

And after two pretty good days work, this is where we left it tonight. Hopefully more updates to come, it feels cool to finally make some progress!

My Build Thread:
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright then; if anybody is still following this thread, I first have to apologize for the hiatus in posting. The truth is that I have been incredibly busy with work and other things, and hadn't been sure what the future was going to hold. For a while relocation was a serious possibility, so flogging away on the Jeep came to a standstill.

During that period, of course, the planning and ambitions didn't even slow down. Among other things, I found a replacement for the "sport bar", and dragged it back to my liar.

[/URL][/IMG]

After that it was back to work for about 3 months straight, so nothing at all happened around here. Recently however, I got back, and we got to work. I did manage to drag a buddy in to help out, and even got a few photos as we went.

[/URL][/IMG]
The first step was to make the body fit the new set up. This involved cutting a bit of extra stuff off; like the back half of the tub.

[/URL][/IMG]
The new cage set up next to the existing Jeep. There was a lot of measuring, thinking and hemming and hawing going on.

[/URL][/IMG]

Next we got the new cage placed on the frame, and an idea of how it is all going to work.

[/URL][/IMG]

And after two pretty good days work, this is where we left it tonight. Hopefully more updates to come, it feels cool to finally make some progress!
Oh. ... my. .... God!!!!! The body/cage looks so sick! Don't really dig the front but I'm sure it will come together with some 40s and coilovers=)

Keep up the good work bro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.