Hi everybody. So, I decided to go ahead and start a build thread, since I was sitting around bored on a Friday afternoon. Hopefully I will be as faithful as some of the other folks on here about updating it. Also, I would really appreciate any and all feedback and ideas along the way.
I am planning a pretty in depth overhaul, and I do have a bit of a mental image of where I want to wind up. So, onward with that idea... My mental imagery seems to be a bit "flexible"
What I have now...
A 1991 Jeep YJ Wrangler, with the (very) Low Output 2.5 liter 4 banger and an AX-5 trans, coupled to an NP-231 transfer case. The frame looked pretty solid as I looked it over, but I'll not be totally stunned to find some issues there. The body is rough, plenty of the factory rust issues. I understand that was not an actual factory option, it was in fact standard. The Jeep also came with a hard top, in very good shape, and the factory seats, which are not.
As I bought it, the springs are over the axles, giving plenty of lift for the 33's on it now. Fortunately, they are pretty well worn, so I'll have a good justification to go to 35's in the near future. Looks like there is adequate room for them to fit under the fenders as well. I haven't yet had an opportunity to have a good hard look underneath to see what is there, so that is one of my first missions next week. Then add those results to the growing list of things to do. I have managed to yank the hard top off, and the back seat out. I have no plans of using either one, so if anybody is looking for such things, let me know.
So, what am I looking for from this vehicle? Well, first and foremost, a daily driver Hahaha
(when it's not broken), to keep the around town and short trip mileage off my shiny new big truck. The big shiny truck will be dragging this thing around on a trailer...
Also, I was a bit bored, and wanted a toy to play with. This should fit the bill nicely. Lastly, it will of course, be used offroad, primarily in sunny Florida. As what we call a mountain qualifies in many states as a mild hill, I will not be pursuing the radical suspension flexibility that a lot of guys are chasing. Just don't need it around here, we have mostly trails and mud. But dear God, do we have mud...
Near term projects (next 28 days or so):
1) New engine. I drove the thing home, and honestly, it was pretty gutless, as well as deafening. I suspect the exhaust is in need of some help. If I can get it sealed up fast and dirty, I will, otherwise it's either live with it, or just not run it for a while.
2) Body work. Like I said before, the body is pretty rough. I'll need to pick up a few things at Harbor Freight anyway, so an el-cheapo flux core mig can join the list. It won't be enough for some of the other heavy jobs I have coming, but should work to glue new metal where the holes are. I also want to get the body in primer, and the inside of the tub rolled out with Monstaliner. I've had some good reports about that, so I'll give it a shot.
Longer term projects:
1) New engine and trans. It's going to take a bit to get the cash back to pick up the rest of the stuff I need to complete this swap out. I'll have the engine built shortly, but then still need to buy a new transmission, and cooling system, not to mention all the adapters. I'm inclined to stay with a manual 5-speed, but am considering switching to an automatic.
2) Interior. Once the new powerplant is in place, I'll be itching to drive it, so along the way, I'll try to knock out some of the little by products. Such things as a new set of gauges, seats and all the little odds and ends. Also, eventually, I'll want to get rid of the "sport-bar" and install a real roll cage. How nasty I get with that is not certain yet, but I did used to race circle track cars, and have been known to go for overkill.
3) Bodywork. At some point I'll have to figure out a paint scheme. I'm seriously considering either all black, inside and out, or a military green or sand body paint with black trim.
That's about it for now. Once I get back to my own laptop later on, I'll see if I can make a few photos go from my phone to this thread.
Again, I value any and everybodies input and ideas. I've already picked up a few good ones just surfing these build threads.
Wow... having read this over, it's amazing how fast the priorities change, and a project can just spin right out of control!