A Teenager with a Dream - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A Teenager with a Dream

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #151
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
The newsletter
Thats awesome! I was wondering where all these reads have been coming from! haha thanks for posting this Finlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbell View Post
Looking absolutely awesome. Keep up the great work. I'll definately be following.
Thanks for the encouragement Tbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
Reminds me a lot of mine ....
My girlfriend would love yours haha, she has been wanting me to paint the flares white.. I told her No Can Do! Good looking rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigoJeep View Post
I just spent the last 20 minutes reading your thread...I even ditched my meeting! Nice work!
Score! meetings are for people who dont have time for JF. Glad I could assist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
Looking good. Just a few months till college? Better get on it before then or you'll get distracted....
Time is running short! Im hurrying but funds are illuding me haha. If I can have it lifted by the time I leave I think I will be successful. then I can start saving up for other things like lockers and axles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #152
sd92110
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work

Kinda looks like my jeep.
sd92110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #153
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd92110 View Post
Kinda looks like my jeep.
I need a roof rack!

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #154
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Decals went on today! not perfect buy thats why I have 3 sets right? I'll run it that way until my ocd makes me redo it!

Quote:
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #155
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and btw, today was pretty productive.. I installed the lift too!

Quote:
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #156
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is it supposed to say rubicon or rubicoin?
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #157
snowcow33

I'm digging this thread, man! The jeeps lookin good. I'm trying to build up my 97 ZJ, and it's takin quite a while with this high school budget, I'll be a senior next year. About all I've gotten so far is 2" spacers, 30" ATs, a homemade roof rack, and 2 lights up top. Keep the build goin!
snowcow33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #158
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
Is it supposed to say rubicon or rubicoin?
Rubicoin. In reference to how we throw tons of money at our jeeps or get "nickel and dimed" to death by them...
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #159
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw

Rubicoin. In reference to how we throw tons of money at our jeeps or get "nickel and dimed" to death by them...
Thanks never heard of that.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 07-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #160
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so before I get into the actual install, yes, I did take pictures I wanted to actually talk about what the lift consisted of. This is not some straight ordered lift kit. This is a carefully pieced together lift based on two things.. Cutting out the crap that you don't need, and doing it on a Highschool budget. We aren't going for some cadillac ride here, but still want a lift that will preform well both on and off the trails. I did alot of research in this one and came up with 3 major components..
1) lift springs
2) lift shocks
3) transfer case drop

For my springs, I went with a set of Superlift 3.5in lift leaf springs. I got the entire set, Front and Rear, plus new poly bushings through 4 wheel parts.
$252.25 Delivered to my front door.

The shocks were a completely different thing. I was reading a thread on here that mentioned using truck shocks as your shocks after a lift. Any auto parts store should have them ready, in stock or can get them quick. The shocks I went with are as follows:
Front: 1997 Ford F-150 REAR shocks
Rear: 1974 Ford F-250 REAR shocks

The shocks are a full bodied shock meaning there are no shock boots to go on them. All together the total cost for them was $89.87 at Autozone.

I also got a 6 spacer T-case drop from a fellow JF member. I would prefer a straight bar type but this will do. Cost $21.00 shipped.

Those are the three pieces to my lift puzzle. Now, the install.

We started at 6:50 at in the afternoon. Me, my dad, my brother, and Buck, a family friend. We started with the rear and I was glad to get rid of those fang shackles.

impact wrench was our best friend!

I expected this. Frozen bolt, only one way to fix it.

Okay, maybe two ways...

Rear didn't take too long, but because of the angle wedges on the springs I had to make a run to autozone and pick up some new U-Bolts. Simple. By the time I got back they had most of the front removed.

We had to ditch the sway bar, at least for now.

We did the same with the trac bar at least until tomorrow, buck is making an extension.

Now for the t-case drop. Seemed simple but Ofcourse. There is always one bad apple...

More sparks

It was too dark after that to take more photos but we finished with the shocks and sat her back down on the ground.

The shackles reverted back to their normal stance. From this...

I drove her home and had no vibes however it Is extremely hard to shift gears, I assume this Is a shift boot issue due to the t-case drop. Anyone else have that issue/know how to fix It?

She rode fine. A little stiff, but I'll fix that with a little flex. I do need to extend brake lines in the front but she's pretty much set!

We finished at exactly 9:41 meaning the entire install took right at 3 hours. A lot faster than expected, but we got it done!

Tomorrow come the before and after pics!

Now on to the next part!

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #161
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why did you decide on rear shocks for the front and back?

Unread 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #162
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcow33 View Post
I'm digging this thread, man! The jeeps lookin good. I'm trying to build up my 97 ZJ, and it's takin quite a while with this high school budget, I'll be a senior next year. About all I've gotten so far is 2" spacers, 30" ATs, a homemade roof rack, and 2 lights up top. Keep the build goin!
You've got plenty of time to make it what you want. Just have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
Very well explained

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #163
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Why did you decide on rear shocks for the front and back?
They are the only ones that match the way they bolt up to the frame and axle.

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #164
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14

They are the only ones that match the way they bolt up to the frame and axle.
Oh ok.

Unread 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #165
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The before:

The after:

So long crazy shackles. Hello much smoother ride. They are still stiff but I now know what shocks feel like when theyre working! By the way, the truck shocks work great!

I also pulled off the shift boot today and realized the plate underneath was causing the problems.. I just left it unbolted until I can figure out a way to cut it to fit.

Quote:

Tags
build , highschool , nc guys , one bright yj , orange wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.