Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A Teenager with a Dream

213K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  vwtipeii 
#1 ·
Alright guys! As promised, here is where I will start my YJ Build Thread. I'll start by telling a little bit about myself and how I became a jeeper, and then we will get into the humble build.

I am Carlos Chavira, A 2012 high school graduate out of NC and soon to be student at Southeastern University in Lakeland Fl. I will be studying Youth Ministry and later taking that where ever I shall be led! This is now my second jeep. My first was a 1986 jeep Cherokee XJ. Bought stock and built it up a little bit.

I loved that thing, but something else had caught my eye.. My girlfriend knew a guy who was trying to sell his wrangler, and I immediately made myself in the market for one. This one.

that is a picture taken from the PO's driveway.

I sold the XJ and bought the YJ in November of 2011.
It didn't take long to get that top and doors off, even if it was a December day in NC.

except for the wheels, it was pretty close to stock. It wouldn't be for long!;)

See less See more
#1,347 ·
Thanks guys, this has been my view for the past two days.. it will continue to be my view until the jeep is back together.

Small victory today as I got the front axle housing installed and leafs. I also fought with my Lokka locker install until i stopped and fought for a second. Went really easy after i figured out what i was doing. Thanks Canman for helping me talk through my stupidity. Ill finish assembly on the front axle tomorrow and mount the rear axle up. My goal is to have her on her own feet tomorrow. Here is how I left her tonight.

those logs have served us well as axle stands this week.

I'll update tomorrow with what all is left to do!

#1,352 ·
Thanks guys, this has been my view for the past two days.. it will continue to be my view until the jeep is back together.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/c...C-4711-A151-63EB2D42D79B_zpsikvs9zcf.jpg.html

Small victory today as I got the front axle housing installed and leafs. I also fought with my Lokka locker install until i stopped and fought for a second. Went really easy after i figured out what i was doing. Thanks Canman for helping me talk through my stupidity. Ill finish assembly on the front axle tomorrow and mount the rear axle up. My goal is to have her on her own feet tomorrow. Here is how I left her tonight.

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/c...D-487A-87AE-849906BB5B48_zpsnhfhqjea.jpg.html

those logs have served us well as axle stands this week.

I'll update tomorrow with what all is left to do!
Who's white yj is that? That's gotta be the second yj I've ever seen with a light bar

#1,353 ·
The familiar site of a YJ totally torn apart...I often would get to that point and ask myself, "Am I really so stupid that I think I can put this back together and have it work?"

Keep up the good work man.

Cheers
I have said multiple times to myself that it worked fine before, what the heck have I gotten myself into? Today was one of those days.

Who's white yj is that? That's gotta be the second yj I've ever seen with a light bar
Was mine the first?? That is my buddy, owner of the shop I've been working in. We like light bars, what can I say??:2thumbsup:

#1,355 ·
Today was a busy one. Finished the Lokka install, wrapped up the front axle. Now it only needs breaks tied in and to be topped off with some gear oil.

Thanks to some help from the local jeepers, we got the rear axle in as well. That thing is freaking heavy!!! Shocks will need to be replaced as the ones I was given with the suspension are pretty well shot. Looks like Fox shocks will be getting a call soon. It's slowly coming together. I will be giving the SYE a shot tomorrow, I've seen just about each of the youtube install videos. Hopefully that will help as I knock it out.

Goals for tomorrow:
  • SYE
  • Attatch all brake lines and bleed them.
  • Tighten down all the bolts
  • Change the rear Gear Oil
  • Get the tires back on it
  • Bolt up the rear track bar.
  • Order my Drive Shaft.

and now... The pics!

#1,363 ·
She's alive! All that's left to do is bleed the brakes, and order a drive shaft. She sits a bit higher but that was expected.

I'll give it a shake down run here soon and see if it wants to settle any. The 33s look a little small, there's definitely room for 35s but I'm not sure if I want to sell my brand new tires just yet. We shall see.

Ride height

Aligning that rear axle was a task...

#1,373 ·
And that's it! All that's left to do is bolt in the rear drive shaft and tighten a few loose ends. Brakes are a bit spongy but I think we will fix that.

Here she is!

It's rather tall.

Measures 23" to the bottom of the frame. 35s will be on the short list of things to do from here.

#1,380 ·
And that's it! All that's left to do is bolt in the rear drive shaft and tighten a few loose ends. Brakes are a bit spongy but I think we will fix that.

Here she is!

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/c...1-4A03-AFF0-5587026A5A80_zpsunlhg5yw.jpg.html

It's rather tall.
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/c...6-42D6-BD67-BDBE06AB0952_zps7cumblja.jpg.html

Measures 23" to the bottom of the frame. 35s will be on the short list of things to do from here.
Wow that is tall, I am sitting on 37s and only at 24" at the highest point of my frame!

#1,382 ·
It will be interesting to see if the girlfriend approves of the new height. Put the 33s up on craigslist.. 35s coming soon!

Girlfriend ordered a Savvy tailgate skin for a little added protection and the flat back look. Ill instal that and add the decals and then on to more armor. Rear corners, and rock sliders on the list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.