TechJeepers Sleeper Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TechJeepers Sleeper Build

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Old build thread covers from my trade of the jeep current. I feel like it's time to start a new chapter in the jeep build. OLD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...-fund-1321144/ The jeep has slowly transformed into my jeep from the place the previous owner left off. Feel free to read through old thread if you like or even search college fund for original owners build thread if you want to see all the way back to the beginning. A lot of the basics are still close to the way I got it. Suspension is the same but 3" higher and many heim joints replaced. Axles are pretty much the same 4.88 gears HPD30 out front 8.8 in back I added a Detroit locker to. From this point forward the build is about keeping this thing a jeep but making it utterly bulletproof on 35-37" tires. I already have an ATLAS installed and heavy wall driveshafts, skid plates front to back although my gas tank skid took a beating last trip out and needs a bit of a refurb and reinforcement.

Front axle build is going to be a round housing 609 with all 35 spline internals. I have the round ford 9" hosing and third member and I'm working on sourcing the kingpin outers. Sticking with try jeep fashion it'll be a 5 lug setup with some what period correct to 1998 alloy wheels. The housing will be shaved for max clearance and trussed of course.

EDIT FOR FRONT AXLE BUILD: Going with HD Dana44 parts from the Cees out. 31 spline chromo inners and 19 spline chromo outers with super joints. Later down the road ill get a 35 spline 9" 3rd member and convert over to RCVs. 1 ton stuff and 35" tires on 15" wheels just wasnt working. Something had to give.

The rear axle is already in process of being built. I'm doing it myself and learning as I go. It's a semi float 35 spline Dana 60. I'm building it first because the axles are dual drilled and will allow me to continue I the wheels I he's until the front axle is done also. End of the day goal will be shaved 1 ton running gear and 35" tires.

I'm adding in a weld in sport cage and rear cage pieces from BTF and poison spider. The jeep sits about 3" over stock suspension wise and 1" of body lift. I've got new 12" Bilstein 5125 shocks coming next week. The suspension has travel for days but I have the current shocks. They are doetch tech 8000 and unless the jeep is air born they ride like bricks. Any how here's how the jeep sits and my number 1 hand running the jack.

There won't be any drastic appearance changes or stretched out insane LCG 170" rock bouncer suspension just a bomb proof TJ that works in the rocks and drives great down the road.

image-4048241429.jpg

image-464430999.jpg

image-3633767494.jpg

TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your right front tire is inside out but other than that looking good
Tylers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know and thanks.
Unread 04-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I borrowed an open 35 spline diff to layout my rear axle and get the final dimensions for my housing cut down. It should end up at 61" with brake rotors on. Sorry image quality so bad. I have to downgrade the files to post them.
image-3483721519.jpg

image-679914613.jpg

image-2076829069.jpg

Unread 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After a little more search I figured out one missing piece to the disc brake setup. I'll do a full write up the entire rear axle build. In short you have take the drum brake backer and cut it down to the size of the housing end to add that extra ~1/8" to the stack of parts going on the end of the housing. I don't have a backer to cut so a couple of plasma cut pieces will have to do the trick.
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finished cutting housing down and test fit the housing ends. Everything looks good so far. Now to finish cutting off old brackets and burn in the housing ends.
image-2123475141.jpg

Unread 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4 new Bilstein 5125s installed. Rides like dream now! $84 a piece from 4 wheel parts with free shipping. I'll be back to the axle build in a couple weeks.
image-1177593369.jpg

Unread 06-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well slight change in plan. Front 9" will be HD Dana44 from the cees out. 31 spline chromo inners and chromo outers with super joints.

Eventually ill upgrade the 3rd member to a 35 spline setup and change over to an RCV setup.

Just some playing around mock up and measuring.
image-370059113.jpg

Unread 06-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also I snagged a kilby gas tank mount/skid for next to nothing and found a blue torch fab rear bumper in the old jeep part pile I forgot we had. I love shopping the old jeep part piles around. A good friend has an extensive one and likes to make trades. The other is a combination of my families swapped, removed, out grown parts.
Unread 09-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Kilby gas tank skid was a flop. It was for a YJ so I am back looking at gas tank skids. I should have the rear portion of the cage in and done this weekend. I finally got a soft top frame to make sure it would work with one. I actually drove the jeep to work this week, about a 25 mile commute both ways. Progress is slow but I'm getting stuff knocked out little by little. My PSC steering is back from them rebuilt and installed. No leaks, slop or overflow from the res. I am adding a heim joint front track bar to the list of things to do. The rubber joint just doesn't hold up

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.