Finally a good update. The Canyon wheels are finally going on tomorrow. I finally found a set of 2.5" spacers and I'm getting the final 2 tires mounted in the morning. In other news I am attending the first of hopefully many local crawler club meetings tomorrow and I'm taking our RTI ramp over to play on.
I recently acquired a new wheeling toy for the harder stuff so I won't be beating the crap out of my jeep trying to keep up with my brother and other larger jeeps. Welcome the Hopeless Wonder buggy!!! It needs a new name but ill leave it alone for now. It has a 2.0l 4 banger 37" tires and uses a transaxle for the main drives. It's a unique little thing but it only weighs 1800-2000# I helped build it back about 7 years ago and the builder/creator/owner wanted it gone because it sat for years unused.
After a day and a half of wrenching a new sensor or 2, switching a few sensors around, help from a good friend for the whole project and several intermittent helpers. MY NEW 40,000 mile motor is in! Still a few odd and ends like with any other project but we got it in, wired and fueled. We test ran it for 3 seconds with out the acc or Radiator hooked up just to verify we didn't miss anything. It fired right up no turning over and over not even a sputter. It sounds very strong. Then we killed it and went back to putting it back together.
In buggy news I had a very strange thing happen the other day. I take it out and annoy my neighbors periodically to get it warmed up and percolating. The other day I got on the skinny pedal a bit and it actually moves pretty quick for being a 28 year old 4 cylinder. While driving it the motor all of a sudden shut off...or so I thought. I stop stick it in neutral and rev the gas and it revs but almost no noise from the tail pipe. Something broke loose and blocked the exhaust. I killed it, waited a second, then fired it back up and it ran normal. Needless to say it's getting a straight flow thru muffler soon and some new rear I joints in the driveshaft and it'll be ready to wheel .
New u joints and exhaust "fixed" on the buggy. Just got back from great wheeling trip in Las Cruces, NM. Before I left I wrapped up the motor swap, PSC Steering install, other odds and ends I've been needing to get done. I was going to post pics but I have to resize them first.
We ran Hopping Jalapeño, Big Jim, and Amitista Ledges. Fairly mild stuff but it was nice just driving without worrying about breaking stuff.
If you are a lurker and still following this post please post a smiley or a word or even a period.
Tonight I measured and drew out the spare tire carrier upper mounting brackets. I'm hoping to actually get the tube bent next week on my lunch break. I'm hauling my bender to work so I can use my lunch break for more than eating. I've recently bent a stinger for a friend and made a jeep grill on the plasma for end of it. I don't have any good pictures of it but I a crappy one. He mounted it all I just did the cut out and bending. I still owe him a couple of tubes for his front fenders. He's doing a no fender narrowed front end looking set of fenders.