TechJeeper's contiuation build formerly Project College FUNd - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TechJeeper's contiuation build formerly Project College FUNd

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Round two.

11-dsc00075.jpg   12-dsc00076.jpg   13-dsc00077.jpg   14-dsc00081.jpg   15-dsc00083.jpg  

16-dsc00084.jpg   17-dsc00086.jpg   18-dsc00087.jpg   19-dsc00090.jpg   20-dsc00093.jpg  

TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cool pix. Where is that place?
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The trip was so much fun and we all had a great time. We drove almost every trail that was even remotely doable and it took about a day. There is the back 40 section of the ranch we missed out on due to not knowing it was back there but it leaves something for next time.

After this trip I really have a better idea of what I would like to do with this thing. The front springs are toast and after the winch and bumper there is only about 3" of up travel. The weight of the tube fenders, bumper and winch is just too much for the springs. A progressive rate coil is fine for a lighter front end but with added weight of all the steel they aren't cutting it. I planned on swapping in other springs already but sfter the trip I changed my mind on what springs that will be. I have had OME, RE, and ProCrap on past jeeps. The OME while they ride good and overall are a great spring but I think they might be just s little too short. The PRoCrap is just that not even an option. The RE to me is an excellent spring. Ive had many sets either on my jeep or one of the many jeeps in the family. They are very tall at first and give well over the stated lift but after the first good twisty wheeling trip they tend to settle in and they continue to more over time. At this point in the front Im going to run 3.5" RE springs and the same in the back if I can locate a set. I think once they have settled, accounting for the extra weight of 3/16" plate armor on the whole back end and heavy front bumper and winch, it will end up close to 2.5-3" over stock especially loaded up with people and trail stuff.

Also as mentioned before I think I know how to raise the tcase and skid up another inch but thats honestly s little lower on my list than skidding up other things that need one all together.

Gas tank, steering box and new engine skid are going to have to happen soon. The engine skid caved on this trip. I think it lived a very hard life prior to me and i just finished it off. However the mounts all still look good so for the most part i just need to replicate whats there. I may go ahead and just integrate the steering box skid into the front bumper but I have yet to really look at it too closely yet. The gas tank shouldn't be too bad 3/16" plate with angle around the perimeter to stiffen it and mount it to the frame.

That is all i know for now I know the taller springs will atleast at first take it out of the LCG range but with all the added weight i think it will settle right back into it.

The only real breakage was a stub shaft on a friends YJ a D60 chromoly 35 spline shaft. Lets just say he took the hard line on something I could even try. I also peeled the bottom of the diff cover off but I fixed that by grinding off the bottom edge up past the bottom of the diff and bevelled so it wouldn't be able to catch on it anymore.

There is lots of loose and worn out steering and heim joints but once again I think I just finished them off the PO wheeled this think hard and I expected some well worn parts.
Unread 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Katemcy Rocks right outside of Mason, TX. It's called K2 because the original location got shut down due to a new owner from an inheritance.
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well tonight was a very productive night me and some buddies mounted new buckets in the front of the jeep and put the 3.5" RE springs in the front and the jeep now sits exactly level according to the angle finder.

Short version of the seat story is I was given a set of late 90's/ early 00's camaro front seats. We adapted them to fit the factory TJ seat brackets so the slide and fold forward action still works. They are very comfortable and compared to factory they feel great. We used 2x2 square tubing to raise and adapt the seats to the TJ seat mounts. They are only about 1" over stock seat height which is ok with me. The swap was easy but involved. I'll post some drawings of the layout we didn't get any kind of good pics of it but I can use CAD and draw it up. It is way easy just time consuming and accurate hole placement. Here is a before and after.
image-4008621114.jpg   image-3773094731.jpg   image-1669553514.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Been a while since an update...

Nothing real exciting been fixing things like new battery and cables and what not no real chance to fab anything since I've been working 55-60 hr weeks. But things are looking up I've been working really hard to get a new piece of machinery in and I think it'll help me out all the fab projects I need to knock out!

A messer Titan II Plasma cutting system with a hypertherm 260 hi def cutter! I've already made too many new tow hooks
image-557036045.jpg  
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got to work on the fenders a little bit. I'm stripping all the bondo seams and replacing them with a fully welded, ground and sanded seam. Lots of the bondo has cracked out and let water and rust into places I don't want it. I completed about 2' of weld, grind, and sanding on the front passenger fender and most of the welding on the back passenger fender. I plan to paint only the flare portion black on each fender I like the blue on most of the jeep but the flares are going black.
image-3973231631.jpg   image-2288882390.jpg  
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Glad you're getting back at it! That's how I shoulda done it the first time but wanted to see how well this worked... Bondo has no place on a trail rig! Lol
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It takes a LOOOONG time to do it this way. I'm half way through one fender after 2-3 hours of work. After the fenders are done the list is:

Finish gas tank skid
New engine skid (modified old skid row plate to fit current mounts)
Replace Heims in rear lowers
New vent and catch can for atlas.
Unread 10-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #40
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered new lower heims and misalignment spacers for the rear lower links. I haven't removed the old ones yet but the slop seems to be coming from where the misalignment spacers insert into the joint. A combination of worn out holes in the heim and wallowed out holes in the spacers. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up new steering tie rod ends and a the steering box end of the drag link. I already replaced the one on the axle end of the drag link.
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #41
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I must say ruff stuff rocks as far as filling an order goes. I ordered over the weekend late at night and got my parts by Wednesday. Three day turn around is fine by me. I've got part of my parts geek order but it was just the struts for my wife's trailblazer. The tie rod ends are still not here but they came from a different place. Hopefully I'll have a good jeep/trailblazer day and get it all done with some help from friends persuaded by free food.
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #42
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I took about 30 minutes tonight and swapped out the old heims in the rear lower control arms with new ones. No real reason for pictures or anything I guess. It did seem to fix the big clunk on acceleration. The old heims probably would've lasted longer but they were packed mud. They feel like there's sand paper in the joint and the spacers are frozen in place. Next up tie rod ends and drag link ends.
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #43
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Short update if anybody is still reading this. Ive had an incessant leak tcase leak and it evaded me until today. I originally thought I over filled the tcase and it was coming out the vent. That wasn't case so I kept an eye on it but with all the skid plates it was running onto there and flinging all over the place when I would drive making it practically impossible to trace. I finally had a thought that didn't occur right away because you can't normally do this but removed all the skids(the one I have has a crossmember under it) and drive to the carwash cleaned the entire underside and then parked it in the drive way. Without the skids blocking the way straight to the ground I found the leak under the rear out put but not on the shaft. It had been leaking from the speedo seal. It was loose divi tighten it up and pretty sure that fixed it. The rear cap for the front shaft on the case also leaks ever so slightly but I'm not sure what's involved in pulling it and resealing it. I've got a wheeling trip in Jan to Las Cruces planned and the skids will all be done and steering upgraded by then. I'll post as I go in all of that.

Cliff notes: fixed leaky tcase at the speedo socket.
Will start on new engine skid, gas tank skid and steering box skid to be done before mid Jan. and new steering box and rod ends before then also.
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #44
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

I still read it
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #45
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's good to know, you put those axles to use yet? Been waiting almost a year now to see a few sticks of tube bent for a buggy chassis. Don't get burnt out or bogged down or you'll never do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.