Well I discovered three things last night. First why the front output wouldn't shift on the 300, the set screw that I used to plug the hole for the 4WD switch was set a little too deep and the indent on the shift rod for the switch was hitting it when I tryed to shift :banghead:. Secondly, that the stainless rod I had made doesn't have enough surface hardness and was wearing (already) where the detent balls run over it. I talked to a couple of buddies in heat treating and after I widen the machining for the 4wd switch and clean up the ball marks I'll have them surface harden the rod. So other than having to take everything apart again, the fixes should be fairly easy and I'll be ready to go wheeling again soon.
Thirdly, I learned that standing working on Jeep parts in a warm garage makes me queasy after donating blood and hour earlier, oh well good excuse to lay on the couch the rest of the evening.