TealJ6 Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TealJ6 Build

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #46
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got a new package in today, Factory Ten axle shafts, they were a great deal and you'll see in the pics below why I chose to replace them, the pics are a little fuzzy but you can still see the twist, especially in the first pic. I ordered new retaining plates, so I'll keep these as trail spares.

Worked on the rear axle and brakes some tonight, I took the 3 way block off of the end of my procomp stainless line and then welded the bracket to the frame, and drilled a hole to mount hold the line near the upper frame mount.

Then used a hose clamp on the factory rear hose bracket to clamp it to the left upper arm, along with the stock original hose/tube and 3 way bracket mounted to the truss. Just had to bend the tube a bit to account for the angle of the truss.

Then the TJ disk brake tubes/hoses out to the ends with a little bit of tweaking.

Supposed to have my antirock on Thursday so then I can get that mounted and pull the axle to weld my locker air piston skid, the antirock brackets and drill and tap the hole for the 3 way block. Hopefully next week I can get the frame and axle sandblasted and then start work on mounting the body.

Unread 03-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #47
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remko, I can't wait so see this thing finish and some trail videos. That is all.
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #48
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Remko, I can't wait so see this thing finish and some trail videos. That is all.

Yep, that's the whole point isn't it. Actually we're trying to put together a trip for the the May 18-19th weekend (Canadian long weekend) we went to Rausch Creek last year and really liked it, but looking at something in Ohio or Northern Kentucky maybe, anyone have any suggestions, we were looking at the Michigan UP, but prefer rocks over mud.
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the rear sta-bar mounted, so I pulled the rear axle and welded the brackets then made a skid plate for the air cylinder for the OX locker. I then picked up my lengthened drive shafts, unfortunately the front is too long by 1.5" and the rear is short by 2", so I need to take them back on Monday.

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #50
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A little update, decided I should do a little more to the rear axle, so I added a couple more brackets to it.

As you can see from the next picture what's it for, this should make loading and unloading a lot easier, especially when things are wet and muddy. There is lots of clearance to the gas tank too.

Also got the t-cases pulled, to get them finished up and painted the rear arms and crossmember.

Got a little frustrated last night while trying to assemble my rear shafts, the split collars wouldn't go on straight, so ended up ruining 1 bearing and 3 collars before giving up. Have done them a number of time on the stock shafts when changing seals, and never had an issue. I wonder if it's got something to do with hardened shafts, as the shafts don't have a mark but the collars keep getting gouged where they start on the larger diameter where they seat. The bearings went on fine, although they don't fit as tight and have a nice radius where they start. I may try cooling the shaft and heating the collars next time to see if I can get them started before putting them in the press, that or having a taper machined into the collars so they start easier. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #51
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the shifters in place and the center console back in. Also modified an existing bracket for 231 cable shifter and made a new shift lever for the 231.

Here are the shifters (the two nuts are to account for the thickness of the transmission), and some of the drain, vent and sight tube (at least the start of it).

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #52
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those shifters are so sweet.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #53
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Those shifters are so sweet.
I thought so too, and I can sit there and they don't hit my legs. I had to heat up the shifters from NWF and re-bend them some, and so far I really like it. Once I get the boots on and the floor sealed up, it should look pretty good.
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #54
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remko View Post
I thought so too, and I can sit there and they don't hit my legs. I had to heat up the shifters from NWF and re-bend them some, and so far I really like it. Once I get the boots on and the floor sealed up, it should look pretty good.
Can't wait to see
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #55
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, since I dropped off most of the Jeep at the sandblasters last week, and I won't be getting it back until Wednesday, or so I thought I'd get back to the rear body section. I pulled all the stuff that's been accumulating on it for the last couple of months off, removed the seats and seat frame and moved it to the working side of the garage. I then thoroughly scuffed up the surfaces with a red scotch brite pad and cleaned it top and bottom with POR's degreaser and surface prep, along with rinsing off with water, luckily the weather was great yesterday so I could leave the garage door open. Then this morning I coated the underside and wheel wells with POR 15 and then this afternoon I did the top with bedliner, Duponts Kevlar stuff. We'll see after everything dries whether another coat is needed.

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #56
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the Jeep back from the sandblasters this week, so I pulled the rear axle back out again and re-assembled it, for the last time. Changed the pinion seal, painted and installed the diff cover and locker actuator guard, installed the new axle shafts and put the brakes and all the lines back on, plus filled it with fluid. Got the spring relocate brackets back on, as well as the shocks and new springs. Then the fuel tank went back in with the new rear antirock sway bar. For now I just have the upper arms attached until I get the t-cases back in, then I'll put the crossmember in and the lower arms. Still need to finish up the fuel line plumbing and wiring, and bleed the rear brakes, then on to the body work, but at least it's starting to get back together.

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #57
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some more progress over the last couple of days, did a little work on the Dana 300, ran and bled the brakes, ran the fuel line, charcoal canister line and the fuel pump wires then started up the Jeep for the first time in months, didn't run it too long as there's no exhaust right now, but at least I know the fuel system works. Installed the 231 case and ran the shifter cable, it works real nice. Then finally lowered the body for the first time to see how much more trimming I need to do still.

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #58
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did manage to get into the garage last night and put my new shift rails into the 300, ended up having the rear rail notched so I can go into FWD 4Lo and had a whole new front rail machined out of stainless bar stock. They made a pattern so if anyone needs one, I can get more made. I'll post picture later when I get home. Tonight I want to get the t-case finished and installed, but we'll see if time allows.
Pics from yesterday.

Also made a wedge out of one of the old shift rods to help put the detent springs in place

With the NWF shift plates mocked in place

Bolted in with loctite on the threads
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #59
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the 300 all done, although with a couple small issues, and installed. Put in the lower control arm crossmember and arms as well as adjusted them for length. Also put the rear driveshaft in place. So basically got the rear end buttoned up.
First the issue with the 300, the rebuild kit I got from Advanced adapters came with a new intermediate shaft, except that the shaft is a few thou larger and wouldn't fit in the case or in the intermediate gear without a lot of effort. Also as can be seen the o-ring groove is way too small to fit the supplied o-ring.

So I ended up installing the gear with the old shaft, which was still in decent shape, so not too big a deal.

Here is a pic of the single lip seal the kit comes with (right) and the double lip seal I bought (left). I ended up doubling up on the seals just to make sure I had no leaks with the single lip on the outside to act more like a wiper seal for dirt.

One

and two

Everything installed

Will have some interference with my old tranny crossmember and the shifters, so that's got to change, not exactly sure what I'm going to do, but I have a couple of ideas.

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #60
Remko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ugg, last night was a two steps forward 3 steps back kind of night. Put some better tube with quick connects on the sight tubes for the t-cases, got the shifters for the 300 hooked up, although they are really stiff, but no oil yet so that might be part of it. Then I filled the 231 up and it started to drip back out between the 300 and adapter ring and then had a Homer moment when I realized I hadn't put any silicone between the ring and 300, so I took everything apart again. Tonight I hope to get it all back together, but first I'll peak inside the 300 again to see if there's anything preventing the shifters from working smoothly, although I've been told they are a little stiff anyway, so probably OK.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.