Tax season wrangler rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tax season wrangler rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #46
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up cutting a decent amount of material off the Poly towers.

Mounted up the shocks from Hendrix. Tossed in the springs, and bolted up the Anti-Rock.

Driver side fender mounted up. I had a little rust to take care of on the fender, so I have to wait a day before I can bolt anything down.

Steering cooler mounted back up.

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #47
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great man! Can't wait for you to drive it. Please let us know how much better it drives.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #48
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Looks great man! Can't wait for you to drive it. Please let us know how much better it drives.
Hopefully we'll be taking it to Virginia next week, 600 miles each way should be a good test of its road manners. Once we get back, I'll have to setup a trip to Rausch Creek. My wife and I are both ready to have it back.

Passenger side fender is mounted. I modified the battery tray slightly while it was off. Moved the battery inboard about 1/4" since it was pretty close to the hood before.

Pulled the clockspring tonight and checked it out. I had forgotten to strap the steering wheel when I started and was worried the wheel had moved. Turned out I was actually ok, but at least now I know. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

My wife helped me bleed the brakes tonight. Both rear hard lines leaked at the wheel cylinders. I think I just didn't have them tight. I cleaned everything up and I'll check for fluid tomorrow.

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #49
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a little behind on the updates, I may be forgetting some details.

Ordered some new heatshields from factorymopar. The local dealer said that one was unavailable and the other was backordered with no expected date. Took a little over a week, shipped to my door.

My wife worked on the seats. I broke down and ordered the Mastercraft adapters to save time. Mastercraft also has a instruction video. I'll have to pull them again later, we pulled the heating elements out of the old seats, and only installed the back for now. Before it gets too cool I'll have to get the bottom heat in at least the passenger. My wife actually used them on the way to Virginia.

It's a little off topic, but I wiped down the lid of the trailer with mineral spirits to prep it for paint. The plexiglass was free and is light, but when it is out in the sun, it cooks everything inside the trailer.

A couple of cans of Krylon fusion later. It's not as even as I would like, but it did make a huge difference.

Also added a hitch to the back.

Jeep is out of the garage for the first time. 5 days under 6 months.

Hooked up with the trailer. I was planning on using the rear hitch for a bike rack, but it was too much weight on the back.

I put 65 miles on it over the following weekend. I ended up having to modify the exhaust a little, but otherwise it was pretty straight forward.

I parked the Jeep in the driveway the Monday night before we were supposed to leave. My wife later asked me what the puddle was under the Jeep. After two hours driving around Tuesday morning, we had a new water pump (first two dealers didn't have one in stock). Swapped the pump and then headed out for Virginia.

The Jeep handled the drive pretty well. Handling is much better, I believe due to the outboarded shocks. Wasn't great on gas, but it weighed in at 5600 lbs with trailer and 3/8 of a tank of gas when we got home. I'll have to get it back on the scales now that it is empty. I had sent the steering box to PSC to add some weight to the steering. It now feels just like stock, which is what I was looking for. I'll have to get some more miles on it without the trailer to get a feel for the shocks. It was also the first time we used the spiderwebshade, which I think we are going to really like.

About 75 miles from home my wife noticed a squeak that sounded like a u-joint and we started to pick up some vibration under load. I pulled the rear driveshaft when we got home and it is getting stiff. I had it rebuilt at the local fleetpride within the last 5000 miles, so I decided to ship it back to Tom Woods. I debated about doing it myself, but the shaft itself could use some attention.

At this point I have a bunch of small stuff to finish up, like finish the under armor install, touch up some paint... I plan on waiting on the cage until next winter.
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job!
Great thread!
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #51
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not much of an update, but I did run across one picture of the Jeep from the trip.

I got the rear driveshaft back from Tom Woods. The CV was shot, they cut it off and grafted on a new one. Put 200 miles on the Jeep, it's much smoother.

Not too related, but also picked up this little guy.

Right now it has no brakes, and is running out of a temporary gas tank, but it's a blast.

Last edited by bty34; 10-08-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Broken links
bty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #52
pinaplebob
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, a great thread I don't know how I missed it. Is there going to be a thread on the cj?
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #53
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaplebob View Post
Looks good, a great thread I don't know how I missed it. Is there going to be a thread on the cj?
I've been debating if I should start a new one, or just combine it with this one. I'm not sure there will be enough going on with it for one of its own, but it is a little different audience.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #54
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not a huge update, but I got the seat heaters finished. It was pretty straight forward, but last time I looked I couldn't find much info on installing heaters in Mastercraft seats.

Untied the bottom cover and slid the heating pad underneath.

All done. It was a little bit of a pain tying the cover back on with the brackets in place. I would recommend doing it before they are bolted on.

You can see a little of the heating element. I'll have to pick up a little vinyl to cover it up.

The back is just attached with velcro on the bottom and should slide right up. Since the cover doesn't always sit against the padding, I used some headliner adhesive on the back.

Unread 10-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #55
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, getting ready to do the very same thing on mine.
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #56
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nice, getting ready to do the very same thing on mine.
It's my wife's favorite modification to the Jeep. It helps to take the edge off on cool nights with the top down.

A little update on the Willys. I replaced all the brake hoses and hard lines for the front axle. The hard lines from the knuckle over were a little bit of a pain.

One of the hoses looked in decent shape originally, so I had left it on but I wasn't able to get any fluid through it. NAPA listed two different rear brake hoses, I went with the longer of the two for both the front and back.

I still need to work on the rear brake lines and all the wheel cylinders and pads, but it was enough I can drive it around for the fall.

Folded down the windshield and spend some time with the Willys in its natural environment.

The tires left a little to be desired in the muddier areas, but it was a blast.
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #57
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I love the old Willys, it looks so little yet so good offroad.
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #58
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

How long did it take to get your shocks back for Wayne? I have a set I need to send next week.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #59
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How long did it take to get your shocks back for Wayne? I have a set I need to send next week.
I think he had them a week, and then in was a week for UPS. Was 211 for the four. They ride well, but I was expecting more of a change. They don't feel that much different than the Walker Evans I had before. I think some of it is I need more uptravel. Once I get everything else wrapped up I'll look into it more.
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #60
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bty34
I think he had them a week, and then in was a week for UPS. Was 211 for the four. They ride well, but I was expecting more of a change. They don't feel that much different than the Walker Evans I had before. I think some of it is I need more uptravel. Once I get everything else wrapped up I'll look into it more.
Mine a quite harsh out of the box, that's why I thought I might ship them to Wayne.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.