Tax season wrangler rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tax season wrangler rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #31
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999GOLDTJ View Post
Doing an awesome job! Ive been thinking about a frame off too. My rust is worse than yours for sure. I feel you on the time restraints too. Im a full time farm hand. we crop 500 or so acres and run about a 1000 head of beef cattle, along with an export program into Canada.

Can you find a way to send me some kind of notes/directions on gearing axles. I need to do my 8.25 and my HP30.
I found the Yukon manual quite helpful. Jantz Engineering also recently started a thread over on Pirate about gear setup that is very informative.

Made a little progress on the Jeep. Replacement sheet metal is all in and welded.

Been working on painting the bottom of the tub. Went over everything with an angle grinder and wire wheel, made a little bit of mess. I'd recommend a full face respirator.

Pulled the metal plugs to install JK rubber plugs. Found a little bit of rust under the plugs. On the passenger side the bedliner wasn't adhered that well. Scrapped a decent amount up with a gasket scraper. Primed the area and painted it black. Not quite sure what it was about that one area. I thought I took an after picture, but I can't seem to find it. I'll have to grab another.

bty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
bthompson12994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed, I like the ingenuity in everything. Keep up the good work!
Unread 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Painted floor pan and JK plugs.

Look care of a small leak on the speedometer drive that was nagging me and then slid the frame under the tub for the first time. Installed the Novak cable shifter as I was raising the frame up. I'm not sure how some guys are getting their hands in there. Didn't seem like there was a lot of extra room with the tub and frame 6" apart.

I did get all the body mounts bolted up. I was a little nervous since I had moved 8 out of 11 body mounts. I don't have any experience with body lifts, bit it is nice how the Savvy pucks fit over the stock mounts to hold them in place. The two front mounts are compressed a little more than the others, not sure yet what is going on there.

Unread 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great build! Very meticulous work, excited to see the outcome.
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #35
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Moved the trailer wiring up off the bumper. I originally had it mounted in a similar fashion through the stock bumper, but when I switched bumpers I just welded the bracket on the top. With the gas tank out of the way it seemed like good timing.

Bumper mounted

Order came in from Poly

Next to a Ford tower

Got the springs in and sitting on its own weight. Felt pretty good, even thought I know the tires and springs have to come off a bunch more times.

The Jeep was sitting a little high compared to what I measured ride height as a couple months ago. Stuck two wheel weights in the back to make up for the missing gas tank (100 lbs).

The front took 400 lbs to get it back to where it should be.

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #36
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Started working on the rear end. Jacked the axle up to get a rough idea of where the springs needed to be.

The pinion angle was a little off now that I raised the TC, so I got that squared away next.

Had some contact with the trac bar just as the bump stops were making contact.

To get the axle square to the drivetrain, I had to put the driver side centered in the wheel well, and pulled the pass side forward about a quarter inch.

Cycled again with no contact with the bumpstops in. Removed a portion of the top bumpstop and added a spacer to simulate 1" compression.

Had slight contact at "full" bump.

Cut around 3/8" off the rear crossmember.

I did remove a small portion of the weld, so I went back later and welded the two pieces back together. Cycled again, and everything cleared.

I'm running a AA SYE, out of curiosity, I was wondering if a JB conversions super short would have helped. Based on my rough math, it would have move the tracbar forward .42", or just enough to not need to cut it.

Burned in the coil mounts and painted,

Unread 07-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #37
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Little more work on the rear

Unboxed the shocks from Alltech

Started cutting for the Poly rear towers. Was able to get most of it with an angle grinder, had to use a die grinder on the top.

Clamped in place and cycled. I've lost track of home many times I have cycled the rear suspension.

Everything worked out, so I cut the notch in the back.

Driver side done

Cut the tracbar mount off. It would have been easier without the spring perch in the way.

Tower in

Made up a new tracbar bracket

I was pretty happy with it until I realized the Johnny Joint wouldn't clear. I had originally drilled the mounting hole in the stock location, it needed to move inboard about 1/4". Made up a new mount out of flat stock.

All welded up. Sorry about the bad picture. Once everything is painted it is too dark to get a good picture.

I should have a new set of shock spacers in a day or two, then I can get them mounted up and mounts made for the reservoirs. Thean at Poly has been great to deal with, I'd highly recommend purchasing from them.

Also painted the one area of the tub that I had missed previously due to how I was supporting the tub with the 4x4 under the floor.
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #38
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great work! This s going to be a great rig to wheel and friendly on the street.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #39
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Great work! This s going to be a great rig to wheel and friendly on the street.
That means a lot considering the source. I'm hoping all new stuff is really going to make a difference, even though I'm really not changing much.

My wife and I are headed to Virginia Beach in two weeks, and she would like to take the Jeep, so I need to get moving.

I put the tank back in now that the welding it done and hooked it all up. New shock spacers came in from Poly so I got the shocks bolted up. It was a little tight getting the hose around the tower. Welded up some reservoir mounts.

Put the wheel back on.

Finished up the other side

Reinstalled the rear sway bar, parking brake lines and driveshaft. Tightened everything up. The rear is now sitting on its own weight.

Unboxed a new front drive shaft from Tom Wood's

Unread 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #40
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got started on the front end. Squared the axle to the rear and to the frame and adjusted the caster. Pulled the springs and jacked the axle up to see what I was working with. I was previously running the old style Currie / JKS trackbar and I switched to the new style due to a damaged axle side mount.

Pass side is 2" past full compression on the Currie bumps.

Trackbar to diff cover

Driver side didn't quite make it.

The pumpkin was actually hitting the front brace for the under armor. When I put the tie rod in place, it was making pretty good contact with the trackbar. If it wasn't flipped to the top of the knuckle, it probably wouldn't have been a problem.

Moved the axle forward until the diff cover almost touched the trackbar.

It is real tight on the one diff cover bolt, but it does clear. Set bumpstops for 1" of compression

Trackbar and tierod just make contact.

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #41
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like you have a pretty good handle on the fitment. I am having trouble currently with mine. What front trackbar is that?
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Looks like you have a pretty good handle on the fitment. I am having trouble currently with mine. What front trackbar is that?
That is a Currie 9120TJJ, I previously ran the older 9120. The steering is also Currie. If I had the tie rod in the stock location I could have removed some bumpstop since I have room with the 33s. A taller ride height would also help since the track bar would be slightly longer and the axle would be further to the passenger when the suspension is at full bump.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #43
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am running the currie steering too and the JKS trackbar. I asked about yours because it has the offset JJ housing not like the one I am running just has the regular JJ housing. My trackbar is hitting the front of my diff cover. My axle is about 1" further forward than stock.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #44
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I am running the currie steering too and the JKS trackbar. I asked about yours because it has the offset JJ housing not like the one I am running just has the regular JJ housing. My trackbar is hitting the front of my diff cover. My axle is about 1" further forward than stock.
Sounds like you have the 9120 like I did before. I had my axle further back, but not sure how it compared to stock. I think with the low lift height the diff cover will start to hit the jj housing regardless of which bar you have if the axle is too far forward.
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #45
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Couple of intake parts came in from Summit. Previously I had a piece of the Windstar intake bent pretty good to make the 90.

It's a little cleaner.

Picked up a replacement lower shift boot from the dealer. I had forgotten to take the bolts out of the shift lever after I stuck it back on the transmission. As I jacked up the frame, it tore the boot. It was a little bit of a pain to do without pulling the console.

Moved on to the front shock mounts. Tacked the lowers in place. You may notice I wasn't thinking when I did it.

Cut up the upper.

Poly mount tacked in place.

Went to bolt in the shock and realized I had the bolt backwards when I did the lower tabs. Good think they weren't in there that well. Full droop.

Full bump.

Welded and painted

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.