I'm adding a body lift, and since I already drag the rear bumper more than I like to, I moved the crossmember rather than using lift pucks. I'll be using 3 rather than the normal 11. I thought about moving the crossmember the shocks bolt to, but it doesn't seem like it would gain me much.
Nice build. I like the frame mods. How do you like your TnT fenders?
Back when I bought them (2009) there weren't all that many options for full replacement fenders. If I was doing it again I would look elsewhere, probably Poison Spider.
Main reasons are:
They are wide in the front since they don't taper and I have the 4.5" flare version. I occasionally catch the corner on the trail.
It's difficult to keep the rust at bay. There is a section in the middle where two pieces of sheet metal overlap, and the joint with the tube. I would expect it if the Jeep was a daily driver, but anymore it spends winters in the barn. This is the main reason I like the Poison Spider.
Lastly, I feel like they didn't put much thought into the inner fender. The design is simple, but gives up more room than most.
I'd like to replace them some day, but they are pretty far down the list, so it will be awhile.
Got the Jeep out of the barn. Discovered it is worthless in the snow with only 2wd. I had pulled the front driveshaft this fall due to some trail damage.
In the shop waiting.
Took some measurements
Gas tank skid
Frame rail and center skid
Front frame rail
Pulled the rear axle. The ebrake cables fought with me a little bit, but otherwise went fairly well.
Needs a little attention
So do the arms
Pulled the joints on the uppers apart. I was surprised to find the bushings were one piece rather than split. Currie sells a rebuild kit for the joint, so I guess you can change the bushing if you ever need to.
Overall, my modified stock cover has been holding up pretty well to the abuse
But it is starting to lose some material on the bottom edge. The part that had me a little nervous was the matching gouges in the diff.
I went and grabbed an old LP30 housing I had laying around. I pulled it out a junkyard back during cash for clunkers to get the 3.73 and up carrier
Stole the cover off it and then cut it up for scrap. Saved the cover, cover bolts, and trackbar/ coil mount. If anyone was curious the tube size on a TJ LP30...
I sandblasted the cover before I realized HP and LP covers are not the same.
I put the cover over the housing anyway and noticed my housing is not missing as much material as I originally thought.
I'm leaning towards reworking the cover I was using. I also noticed some damage to my trackbar bracket. I had one situation where I bent the draglink enough that the tierod rubbed the trackbar bolt and allowed it to loosen. I bent the draglink back and replaced the trackbar bolt and it never gave me any trouble, but the damage to the bracket was hidden the the brace I have over top for the ram assist. I may clean up the bracket on the junk housing and see what I have to work with.
Put that on the back burner for now and moved on to installing the detroit. Pulled the open carrier and swapped the ring gear over.
Detroit is in. Actually found my notes from when I installed the gears 3 years ago. Went pretty smoothly. I've found it is a little easier when you take your time and have a comfortable working position. Doing differential work with the axle still under the vehicle and it only up on jackstands makes it a lot more frustrating.
Shock tabs for the front lower mounts came from Ruffstuff.
Started back on the cover. I cut some pieces off the LP cover I had blasted.
I didn't have a great way to hold the cover while I was welding, so I cut the tubes of the junk housing I had in the scrap pile.