Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tarantula_TJ Rubicon Build

464K views 4K replies 171 participants last post by  AngryTJ 
#1 ·
UPDATED 12/19/2013***

Story:
I purchased this Jeep back in 2011 with the intent of a mild build and enjoying some offroading on the East Coast. Through Jeepforum I met a small group of guys that invited me to go wheelin for my first time at Rausch Creek, PA. Little did I know how I would get so hooked!

As the obsession grew my game plan was always to have a weekend warrior that would be able to drive to the trails, take a beating, and drive home. With that in mind I started to dig into many projects I would have never imagined trying on my own. I also received help from some great guys out there to get the rig where is it today. Like all of you my jeep has become part of my life.

Back in June I had the opportunity to take a cross-country trip to Colorado and Moab. What made the trip so unique was being able to drive my jeep from CT over 2,200 miles out there and wheel with a bunch of other forum members for 7 straight days! It was one of the greatest experiences a jeeper could have and I'm extremely happy with how the jeep performed. I hope to make it an annual trip to wheel with so many of the great guys on this forum and explore different parts of the US and the wheelin terrain it offers.

I still have a few things to do to the rig but I'm almost at the point where I can just wheel, repair and repeat. If you have any questions about my rig feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!

Mods:
Engine:
• 4.0 I-6 w/ Brown Dog 1" MML & custom Hendrix hiline hood covering it up!
Transmission:
• 6 speed w/ Lopro mount
Transfer Case:
• NV241 w/ Novak shifter
Front axle:
• Dana 44 locked w/ Riddler cover, Superior Shafts, Synergy Ball joints, Alloy axle seals & lower CA skids
Rear axle:
• Dana 44 locked w/ Riddler cover, TnT Truss & Superior Shafts
Gear Ratio:
• 4:11
Suspension:
• Custom stretched rear 4-link 98" WB
• 1" Daystar BL
• OME 930/949 coils
• Front and Rear Antirock Swaybars
• Savvy Alum front upper and lower alum control arms
• 12" outboarded rear Bilsteins
Tires:
• 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR/Kevlars
Wheels:
• 15x8 Alum Raceline Monster Beadlocks
Recovery:
• Warn 9.5ti w/ Viking synthetic line. Poly Front half Rollcage w/ custom rear additions
Armor:
• UCF ultra high clearance tcase skid & engine skid, UCF Windshield armor
• Savvy Alum front bumper
• Warn Rear bumper w/ tire carrier
• Rokmen Sliders & Steering skid
• PSC 3" flare Defender Hilines w/ matching rear flares
• Genright Stretched corners & EXT tank
Accessories:
• JKS adj front track bar
• Tom Woods Driveshaft
• Currie Steering w/ Savvy tie rod
• 4pt harness'
• Balistic Fab Battery tie-down box
Awaiting install:
• Evo Front axle sleeve's
• Vanco Big Brake kit
• Front tie rod flip w/ raised sway bar brackets
• Gusset front axle C's
Final Mods list:
488 gears
Hydro assist
3 link front suspension
Yukon Zip or ARB lockers

The starting point:

Where she sits now

See less See more
#1,762 ·
gst95dsm said:
So how do you like the fit and design of the windshield armor??
No complaints fits almost perfect. One of the bolt holes is a tiny tiny bit off so ill have to drill it a little bigger to line up the bolt. Other then that I'm happy with them and I just grinded off the weld that shows on the front side so they looked better.

#1,771 ·
MO2500 said:
I'm wondering how good the $500 ones really are considering the cost of a similar Rigid. I'd have to see one in person that's been in use for some time before i'd buy one. One of you guys test them for me :D

Seriously though, I need some lights at some point and really want a couple of LED light bars.
Guy I work with bought one yesterday, I will post a review once I see it in person.

#1,783 ·
AngryTJ said:
I wish, but I actually will be in a time crunch. I leave for Punta Cana Wednesday morning for my sister in laws wedding and wont be back until the 19th.

Today after work Ill be installed all the parts from Hendrix and driving my jeep home for the first time in 4 months. A family friend will be looking into why I have a small oil leak and giving the jeep a tuneup while Im gone. Then when I get back Ill have until the 23rd to finish some odds and ends before shipping the jeep out to CO.

The Eagle has landed! The crate is at my uncles shop for me to pickup after work :D
:banana:

#1,786 ·
Well tonight was a complete disaster and I didn't get nearly as much accomplished as I wanted to. Went to pick up the crate at my uncles shop and his workers didn't leave it outside as directed so I wasted 2 hours waiting for someone to swing by and let me in the shop.

What I did get done:

Put the soft top on minus windows
Cut 4" led hole in the body
Installed the led flasher
Mounted the hood
Took the headlights out and mounted the driverside fender

Teaser shot

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.