Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #121
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I assumed you were running them before. I'm interested in how they do at speed and how they deal with fading, etc.
Me too. I'll let everyone know. I was going to go with Bilstein's, but I've read that these are better, so I figured I'd give them a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Excuse me if you've already covered this, but did you make those control arms?
The project is looking great!
Yes I did make them and thanks! I heard you are thinking about selling your Jeep? What's up with that?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #122
cycleguy04

Well, I got the wife a brand new Subaru Forester and then work decided to cut overtime to almost nothing. Go figure. I could never ask her to sell it. In fact, I enjoy driving it. The only other two big items we could sell are the trailer and my jeep. We can't give up camping and, in my wife's eyes, tent camping isn't camping, it's torture. Poor defenseless jeep.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #123
IEcrawlerTJ01
More than a web wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

That sucks

A rule of thumb I use is

A. Never base what you can afford off overtime

B. Always count overtime as extra money that can be taken away at anytime

Still sucks to hear. Hope you don't have to sell the jeep

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #124
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The rear end fab work is durned impressive .
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #125
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I got the wife a brand new Subaru Forester and then work decided to cut overtime to almost nothing. Go figure. I could never ask her to sell it. In fact, I enjoy driving it. The only other two big items we could sell are the trailer and my jeep. We can't give up camping and, in my wife's eyes, tent camping isn't camping, it's torture. Poor defenseless jeep.
If you do sell it it's not like you can't get another. You could sell it and buy a cheaper one and have money left over. There are deals to be had for the patient.

Like this YJ I just scored for $1500. Looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The rear end fab work is durned impressive .
Thanks. I hope the front goes a little quicker, but I know with all the steering crap to deal with it probably won't. Such is fab work.

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #126
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the score. I'd have a hard time selling such a clean YJ.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #127
H3lzsn1p3r

put a 4 inch lift on it sell it for 4000
H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #128
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Congrats on the score. I'd have a hard time selling such a clean YJ.
Every time I walk by it I think about putting a small lift on it, a 350 V8 with a 700R4, some 31" tires and make it a street / fire road cruiser....
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
put a 4 inch lift on it sell it for 4000
I could probably get 4500 for it how it sits (once I fix the rod knock). Good wranglers with hard tops go for crazy money around here.

Unread 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #129
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
If you do sell it it's not like you can't get another. You could sell it and buy a cheaper one and have money left over. There are deals to be had for the patient.

Like this YJ I just scored for $1500. Looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.

Thanks. I hope the front goes a little quicker, but I know with all the steering crap to deal with it probably won't. Such is fab work.
Yeah, I do really like the CJ-7's. I could get one with no engine and put a 5.3 in it.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #130
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Minus the wheels I would rock that YJ , nice score .
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #131
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I do really like the CJ-7's. I could get one with no engine and put a 5.3 in it.
If you did that, you would be spending quite a bit more than you would get for your TJ, although it would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Minus the wheels I would rock that YJ , nice score .
Thanks. Yup, those wheels are straight out of the 80's. It would look much better on 31's and some Moabs or Canyons.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #132
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I played with the front axle a little last night. It didn't go exactly as I was picturing in my mind. I was hoping for 4-5" of travel for the front with my 3" savvy springs but that looks like it's going to be a no go. Everything wants to be in the same place. My exhaust, front drive shaft, track bar mount, and upper link mount. The switch to a high pinon front really moves things around.

On a positive note, I ordered my wheel spacers and also called Tom Woods up and got my pinon yokes.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #133
dlutz94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think its beautiful the way you had it.
dlutz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #134
joshr1987

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good so far, looking for to more progress.
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #135
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr1987 View Post
Looking good so far, looking for to more progress.
Thanks!

I did manage to get a little more done. Played around with my new skid plate. Added a transmission mount with some C channel and made some cutouts for my transfer case and transmission.

Then I fixed a broken nutsert and bolted the skid in place.

Then I started work on the front end. Finished fabbing the control arms and tacked everything in place. I also bent a truss for the front.

As luck would have it, my upper link sits exactly where the exhaust manifold outlet is. Looks like I'm going to have to order up some center dump block huggers and hope for the best. There is really no other place to put it, so I have my fingers crossed.

I'm going to order these up. I think they will do the trick.

They are only $200 so I can't really complain too much about that.

A few road blocks:

I tried to mount my wheel spacers that came today. The back ones are great. The front ones don't seat all the way because of a slight lip on the unit bearing next to the face. I'm not excited about dealing with this, as it was supposed to be just an easy bold on deal.

Also, I tried to bolt the JK drag link to my stock pitman. That was a no go. The JK taper is quite a bit larger than the TJ, and I sold my TJ stuff so I can't cut / weld the two together. Looks like I'm going to have to go with some poly performance stuff for that.

Tomorrow I'm going to check clearances and see where I'm going to be at for maximum uptravel and maybe fab some spring plates up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.