Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #106
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
ehhemmm ... my 4.88s were already in when I started my swap ... with 33" tires and a preference to not go bigger. So I thought just try it ... and regear eventually later when I break something to 4.10 .

I compensated somehow for the short first of my 4L60E by slightly modding the part throttle shifting tables. I can hold 1st longer and still it shifts up smooth and quick enough.
(Yes ... HPTuner ... and lots of digging)

and yes ... fuel mileage is bad "cruising" with 70mph and about 2700 rpms ... but everything else in the terrain I wheel is GREAT ... my transmission stays reasonably cool in the dunes all day long and I can stay in 4hi which is important for the faster pace.
5.13's for my setup was doable, but freeway driving was irritating with my loud exhaust and not as efficient as it could be. Still, I could get 20mpg at 60mph. It was really fast, but that's not exactly my normal driving style. One of the big reasons I did the swap was to get a good auto transmission, the extra power was just a byproduct of that swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob02tj View Post
great build. Really looking forward to see whats next
So am I! My skid plate from Barnes 4x4 came in, and I welded in my upper control arm supports for the rear axle and finish welded everything else. Just need to finish up the brake lines, and it should be able to be bolted in for good.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #107
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
5.13's for my setup was doable, but freeway driving was irritating with my loud exhaust and not as efficient as it could be. Still, I could get 20mpg at 60mph. It was really fast, but that's not exactly my normal driving style. One of the big reasons I did the swap was to get a good auto transmission, the extra power was just a byproduct of that swap.
20 MPG sounds so very incredibly nice...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #108
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
20 MPG sounds so very incredibly nice...
That's with very low gearing. I'm hoping to get around 22-24 MPG on the freeway at 60 (flat). Not that it matters much to me as I don't drive very far often, just would be interesting to get low 20's on a lifted Wrangler with 300+ HP.

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #109
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's with very low gearing. I'm hoping to get around 22-24 MPG on the freeway at 60 (flat). Not that it matters much to me as I don't drive very far often, just would be interesting to get low 20's on a lifted Wrangler with 300+ HP.
I'll have the stock 4.11's in mine for awhile, yet...and gas mileage is a HUGE concern to me because I drive it every day.

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #110
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'll have the stock 4.11's in mine for awhile, yet...and gas mileage is a HUGE concern to me because I drive it every day.
I'll be sure to report how 35's and 4.10's work with the 5.3 when I get this pile back together. The only way to get better mileage than a LS swap would be a diesel, and I think everyone knows how I feel about that.

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #111
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll be sure to report how 35's and 4.10's work with the 5.3 when I get this pile back together. The only way to get better mileage than a LS swap would be a diesel, and I think everyone knows how I feel about that.
You and me both. Looking forwards to hearing the report.

Unread 04-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #112
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like how you can use a range of gears and most of them will be tolerable with the V8 compared to my 4-cylinder which is so sensitive. Jealousy setting in again!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #113
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've been distracted by other projects, so the Jeep hasn't been getting much attention. Now that I have most of that out of the way, I can refocus.

I finish welded all my brackets. Here are the uppers.

Painted everything and bolted everything up for the "final" time.

I also had some braided brake lines made and ran them.

Here's another angle.

Put the gas tank back in and started to figure out what I needed to do with my various lines.

After a little notching for the rear anti-rock I set the rear of the tub in for a little sense of accomplishment. I also set the soft top rails on to see how close I was. Everything lines up nicely.

Unread 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #114
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #115
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Awesome.
Thanks!

I had to make clearance for the rear anti-rock. Warmer weather, short sleeves, and cutoff wheels and plasma cutting isn't too fun. The rear suspension is about 100% at this point.

I threw a tire on to check clearance on the tub at full stuff to see if I need to cut some. Nope. This is with the bumpstop out and fully stuffed on the bump stop pad. I'm super glad this worked out. I need to get this project on the road.

In, non-related news, I saw a 89 YJ on my phone's craigslist app. It was only $1500 - had a hard top, Soft top, bikini top, new seats, new carpet, webber carb, looked VERY nice. Only issue is a engine knock. I emailed the guy... Nothing. Then last night he called me. He had to take the ad down he had so much response! Apparently he liked my email the best. So, I'm headed down tomorrow to check it out. I really want to keep it, but I will probably end up fixing the engine and flipping it for snowmobile funds...

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #116
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Clearance in the rear is looking good man. How do you like the Ranchos? Were they outboarded before? Ever feel the need for some something with a res?

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #117
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Clearance in the rear is looking good man. How do you like the Ranchos? Were they outboarded before? Ever feel the need for some something with a res?
I've never used the Rancho's before. I will say this: the shock bodies are huge. Makes packaging them interesting. This is my first time outboarding shocks. I've never had a Jeep that rode nice enough to drive fast enough in rough conditions to need a resi shock, so I suppose I will see?

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #118
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've never used the Rancho's before. I will say this: the shock bodies are huge. Makes packaging them interesting. This is my first time outboarding shocks. I've never had a Jeep that rode nice enough to drive fast enough in rough conditions to need a resi shock, so I suppose I will see?
I assumed you were running them before. I'm interested in how they do at speed and how they deal with fading, etc.

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #119
cycleguy04

Excuse me if you've already covered this, but did you make those control arms?

The project is looking great!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #120
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Excuse me if you've already covered this, but did you make those control arms?

The project is looking great!
To answer your late night question. Yes he did.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.