Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #46
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I managed to get a little more done. TJ frame rails are 2.5" X 4" X a little less than 3/16" thick. Of course no steel yard in the world carries this size so I had to make due with some 2" X 4" X 3/16". I basically cut it in half and welded some 2" wide 3/16" thick strap to widen it. Here's what I ended up with.

It took along time to get these to fit the frame rails, but after half a day's work I had this accomplished.

Everything went a lot easier than I expected. I even slid the back half of the frame into the front by myself. It's around 1/8" longer than it should be, so I'm going to take a little off the frame rails to get it just right. I'm glad I took the time and made some marks on the frame to tell me where I was before.

I also started getting parts in. They actually came in faster than I expected. Just waiting on the Metal Cloak joints that should be here Monday, and my tires that should be here any day now.

I had a pretty big non Jeep related setback. My snowmobile blew up on the way back last weekend, and I'm going for a snowmobile trip president's day weekend so I had to scramble to get the engine apart and order parts. Looks like a cooked rod bearing took out both pistons, both cylinders, and the crank. Around $1400 worth of damage!

So the snowmobile is taking up what little space I had left in my garage, and I can't really do anything with the Jeep until it is out of the way.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm back from my trip so I decided to work on the Jeep a little. It's nice having another car so I don't have to rush. Pretty easy to get burned out on a project like this.

The frame is completed.

A little plating to put more strength at my joints. I also re-attached the body mount.

Unread 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #48
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It was time for me to break in my Swag Offroad press brake and bend up a axle bridge for my upper links. Decided 3/8" x 5" would be plenty strong for my use. A little while later and this was completed.

Time to throw some links together. I chose 2" X .25" wall square tubing for my lower links. Length ended up being around 38" center to center. Should be plenty strong and is cheaper in my area than DOM. The only issue I had was the Metalcloak barrel isn't quite 2" so welding the inside and outside edge was tricky so I didn't get weld into the snap ring groove. If I was going to do it over again, I would use 1.75" X .120" wall and sleeve it with some .25" wall tube inside, or just use threaded ends on both sides. (Metalcloak uses 1.5" X .1875" DOM for their arms)

Made some frame brackets out of some 3" X 6" .1875" thick rectangle tube. Took me some time, but it let me practice more metalworking and it's nice to say I built everything myself - if it doesn't come apart on the freeway and kill me that is!

Tacked a frame side bracket into place. The axle is about where ride height should be. The lower link is nice and flat, should ride nice.

Unread 03-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #49
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
The harbor freight spot weld cutter is like a lot of their tools - oh sure, it will work - you just might want to kill yourself after you are done.
Just say no to HF tools

Nice solid fab work , takes a lot of guts to cut your rig in half .
Unread 03-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #50
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice fab... why not tuck the frame side mounts up more?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #51
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Just say no to HF tools

Nice solid fab work , takes a lot of guts to cut your rig in half .
I try to buy HF only for tools that see little use. I spend the money for good stuff where it counts. Thanks for the compliment, that means a lot coming from you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Nice fab... why not tuck the frame side mounts up more?
Thanks. With the low lift height (3") and the up travel I'm trying to keep, I either needed to have lower frame side mounts or lower axle side mounts to keep the control arm from contacting the frame. Even where it is, it's really close to the frame at full stuff. Once I have every thing in place I'm going to cycle everything and revisit the mount to see if it can go higher. I'm not too concerned though, since where I wheel massive clearance isn't required.

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #52
silverstonemkiv
1998 TJ Wrangler 

this thing is going to be sick
silverstonemkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
haves0090
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those control arms are badass! Nice work
haves0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #54
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I try to buy HF only for tools that see little use. I spend the money for good stuff where it counts. Thanks for the compliment, that means a lot coming from you!
Dont get me wrong , I have some simple HF stuff too . But if its anything of consequence I get good quality tool . And lastly you are welcome .
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #55
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstonemkiv View Post
this thing is going to be sick
The sick part is not being able to drive it this whole winter. I'm going to start putting more work into it. I will go crazy if I can't drive it when it starts to warm up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haves0090 View Post
Those control arms are badass! Nice work
Thanks! Clayton uses the same material on their control arms and they have a lifetime warranty on them, so I think I'll be fine.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong , I have some simple HF stuff too . But if its anything of consequence I get good quality tool . And lastly you are welcome .
Completely agree. I paid some cash for my welder, bender,compressor, and hand tools. There are some smart buys at HF, notably their grinders are pretty good for $20.

My snowmobile blew again so I'm saving up to buy another one. The Jeep is going on a strict budget and I'm going to cut some stuff out of this build and wait till next winter to finish some of the "extras" like ARB's, interior stuff, and probably gauges. That does mean the build will go faster now, and I'll be driving it sooner rather than later.

Unread 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #56
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I burnt down a yard filled with pine straw with a flaming HF grinder , so I stick to Milwaukee , Metabo , and old American made grinders .
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #57
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I burnt down a yard filled with pine straw with a flaming HF grinder , so I stick to Milwaukee , Metabo , and old American made grinders .
I don't feel like I've done any work on the Jeep unless something (or myself) is on fire. Someday I'll have all the nice fab equipment if I keep buying junk to modify.

Unread 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #58
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Interesting Fact: I don't have a 4" grinder.

Quote:
I don't feel like I've done any work on the Jeep unless something (or myself) is on fire. Someday I'll have all the nice fab equipment if I keep buying junk to modify.
Same here. Nice work on this, so far.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #59
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Interesting Fact: I don't have a 4" grinder.
I have one of those. It's sits in my tool box while my 4.5" grinders get all the action. I haven't found any use for it that my 4.5" hasn't been able to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Same here. Nice work on this, so far.
Thanks!

My front D30 came with a broken driver side axle. I made a call to a junk yard that specializes in Jeeps and had one shipped out. They shipped the passenger side to me. So - I shipped that back and got the correct one today.

Even comes with a good U joint.

I was playing around with my axle bridge and came to a conclusion. Plumbing an ARB after I weld it on is going to be not fun. At all.

So.. Should I bite the bullet and get an ARB and matching 35 spline axles now and make it easy on myself? Decisions, decisions.

Unread 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #60
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Put in a long day of grinding dust and sparks. I'm now the proud father of my very first triangulated four link. Everything went pretty well considering this was my first time and I was making everything from scratch.

Both my upper and lower links happened to come out at 28". I've read that the upper links should ideally be 80% of the distance of the lower links, and through no planning on my own I actually hit right around 80%. I've cycled the suspension and nothing funny happened, and I only have around 2 degrees of pinon change from full droop to full stuff.

Upper link brackets made from more 3/16" wall 3"X6". I'm going to brace the top of the tower with more 3/16" plate.

Pretty happy with how everything came out. I still need to throw the gas tank up to see if I clear that ok.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.