Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #496
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that's a steal man. Good luck.

Unread 08-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #497
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You want to wheel Moab in something else?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #498
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Wow that's a steal man. Good luck.
Thanks! I've been following your build, it's really coming together nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
You want to wheel Moab in something else?
Well, I think I would enjoy it more if I was wheeling something that I wasn't going to sell when I got back.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #499
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Well, I think I would enjoy it more if I was wheeling something that I wasn't going to sell when I got back.
Better get to work then buddy

Plenty of trails that need more than a Land Rover

August YJOTM

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #500
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Better get to work then buddy

Plenty of trails that need more than a Land Rover
I think I've ruled out the LR3 more for being too big than not capable enough. Youtube LR3 off road. They are very impressive. I am trying to do a Moab like trip once a year. Probably never make it to the hammers. 98% of the stuff here in Washington can be done with a XJ on 31's with a locker. For me wheeling gives me a chance to see amazing sights and get outdoors. It's not as much crawling the most difficult trails in the world. If I want that kind of feeling, I'll hop on my snowmobile.

That said, I think I have it narrowed down to a ZJ or WJ. That will leave me with a pretty good budget to transform it into a great expo rig.

Pretty torn between them though... Thoughts?
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #501
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's totally understandable man.

I have no experience with ZJs or WJs so I'm no help there.

August YJOTM

Unread 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #502
cycleguy04

I did quite a bit of research on the two. I read that ZJ suspension components are pretty much interchangeable with TJ components. WJ lifts are expensive. 4.7's are crap (good until they get cooling issues, then your pretty much SOL, also parts availability). 5.9 is a gas hog and had cooling issues as well. I concluded that the 4.0 with towing package was the best bet, avoiding 99-00 or 01 for head issues. The WJ interior is much more solid, so I was thinking about getting a low mileage 02-04 to keep the wife happy. I've driven both and the WJ is pretty damn quiet inside. The center console on the ZJ just intensified my hatred for plastic. Jeep started using independent front suspension 05 and up, Blah!

But, you may have been the one who gave me most of this information, so why I am I telling you?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #503
cycleguy04

Forgot to mention the 5.2. From what I've read they're just as bullet proof as the 4.0, but what do I know? I've never owned one!

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #504
94eagle

Sweet!
94eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #505
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i love my 97 5.2 zj. i plan on building that into an overlandy vehicle once my yj is sold as well. theres an appeal to a sweet wheeler but i also wanna be able to go places in it.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #506
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
I did quite a bit of research on the two. I read that ZJ suspension components are pretty much interchangeable with TJ components. WJ lifts are expensive. 4.7's are crap (good until they get cooling issues, then your pretty much SOL, also parts availability). 5.9 is a gas hog and had cooling issues as well. I concluded that the 4.0 with towing package was the best bet, avoiding 99-00 or 01 for head issues. The WJ interior is much more solid, so I was thinking about getting a low mileage 02-04 to keep the wife happy. I've driven both and the WJ is pretty damn quiet inside. The center console on the ZJ just intensified my hatred for plastic. Jeep started using independent front suspension 05 and up, Blah!

But, you may have been the one who gave me most of this information, so why I am I telling you?
I'm leaning toward the ZJ. The 4.7 is a pretty fragile motor and I'm not thrilled with the electronics. Also the ZJ is a little skinnier so that will be a plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
i love my 97 5.2 zj. i plan on building that into an overlandy vehicle once my yj is sold as well. theres an appeal to a sweet wheeler but i also wanna be able to go places in it.
That's exactly what I'm going for. Light to moderate wheeling, but more important - exploring, getting lost, and seeing where the end of the road takes me.
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #507
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
That's exactly what I'm going for. Light to moderate wheeling, but more important - exploring, getting lost, and seeing where the end of the road takes me.
Thats what its all about , no matter what rig your in ...
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #508
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Thats what its all about , no matter what rig your in ...
Exactly. My simple wk takes me everywhere i want to go exploring.
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #509
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Ive owed a ZJ 5.9 and now an WJ 4.7ho. I prefer the WJ.... I have had no dependability issues with the 4.7 and am happy with the quadradrive system other than being picky with $ fluids. 3" lift 32" tires and some armor it does well. Its not extreme by any means but works for what I want right now.
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #510
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The WJ is a little more comfortable in my opinion... No experience with the 4.7L. But my buddies ZJ was beat on pretty good in stock form and then hit 100 mph on the highway the same day. With a little work they can make great overland rigs IMO.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.