Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #451
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's done. Time to move on to the next challenge?

TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #452
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Went wheeling last weekend. Jeep did awesome but the front brake lines are a touch too short and one of them started to link at the fitting. I ordered some longer ones from Poly Performance that should be here tomorrow.

After a lot of thought, I think I'm going to sell the Jeep after I get back from Moab. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle or where I like to wheel. It's frankly overkill for what I like to do and I would like to get something a little more "overlandy".

So there's that. I'm not sure if the next vehicle is going to be a Jeep, but I'll post it here once the Beast sells. I'm still going to mount my rocker guards, build a front bumper, paint the corner guards, and some odds and ends- but it's basically done as it sits.

So... Anyone want to buy a Jeep?
i often feel the same way. a simple rig on 33s that you're not always working on that can be completely relied on is often far more fun than a jeep with literally everything modded. i find myself enjoying my stock zj more than my v8 yj stretched on 37s. i couldn't tell you why but thats how it goes.

mines been for sale for awhile. im asking a pretty high price because i don't really want to sell it. but for the right price it'll be gone.

quite the bummer after all the hard work though
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #453
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Build something moderate on 35's or even 33's.
Yup. Next project will have a very max tire size of 35" more likely 33". 33" tires and a locker or two can get you 95% of anywhere you want to around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Oh man that makes me sad Clint. But I think Moab might just change your mind...
Can't wait for Moab, but I have my mind made up, and I'm pretty hard headed about things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrows View Post
Bummer to hear about selling the jeep. I stumbled upon this thread because I want to stretch my tj to make it more overland friendly.
It is certainly more overland friendly than a TJ, but not really "overlandy" by the traditional definition. (small lift, reasonable tire size, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post

for me it is not a question of Jeep or not ... after so much enthusiasm and brain storming and custom fab to let go so quickly is somehow confusing?
It's happened with my last 3 Jeeps. I build it, get it 95% done, and I get the feeling that somehow I'm missing something. Luckily, I've built enough rigs to know not only what I want, but what fits my life. Hopefully my next rig will be much longer term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
It's done. Time to move on to the next challenge?
Exactly. Probably much more bolt on and less custom fab this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
i often feel the same way. a simple rig on 33s that you're not always working on that can be completely relied on is often far more fun than a jeep with literally everything modded. i find myself enjoying my stock zj more than my v8 yj stretched on 37s. i couldn't tell you why but thats how it goes.

mines been for sale for awhile. im asking a pretty high price because i don't really want to sell it. but for the right price it'll be gone.

quite the bummer after all the hard work though
Don't get me wrong, this rig has been nothing but reliable, but I've built it beyond the scope of something practical for me. I'm getting older and a bit of a wuss so I'm missing things like a roof, A/C, low noise floor, etc. I find myself wanting to drive my Duramax to work more than my Jeep and something is not right about that. Maybe I worked on it too much? Fab burn out? Hard to say.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #454
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You literally just finished this beast! Your talking foolish now you can't sell it. Your definitely fab burnt out and that happens but you say you want something more overlandy, how is this rig not that?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #455
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm getting older and a bit of a wuss so I'm missing things like a roof, A/C, low noise floor, etc. I find myself wanting to drive my Duramax to work more than my Jeep and something is not right about that. Maybe I worked on it too much? Fab burn out? Hard to say.
That's all stuff that can be fairly easily addressed.

I love your rig. Give it a rest for a while and think about it in a couple weeks.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #456
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Went wheeling last weekend. Jeep did awesome but the front brake lines are a touch too short and one of them started to link at the fitting. I ordered some longer ones from Poly Performance that should be here tomorrow.

After a lot of thought, I think I'm going to sell the Jeep after I get back from Moab. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle or where I like to wheel. It's frankly overkill for what I like to do and I would like to get something a little more "overlandy".

So there's that. I'm not sure if the next vehicle is going to be a Jeep, but I'll post it here once the Beast sells. I'm still going to mount my rocker guards, build a front bumper, paint the corner guards, and some odds and ends- but it's basically done as it sits.

So... Anyone want to buy a Jeep?
Wow, Clint. This turned out awesome!! Sorry to hear you feel like you have to sell it after all that great work (I hope you change your mind).

By the way, did you ever find out if the LJ top will clear your rear rollbars when you fold it back? This never occured to me before.
Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #457
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
You literally just finished this beast! Your talking foolish now you can't sell it. Your definitely fab burnt out and that happens but you say you want something more overlandy, how is this rig not that?
Well, the short list for replacement is a Land Rover LR3 or Jeep WK, so it would take quite a bit to get close to that with a Wrangler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's all stuff that can be fairly easily addressed.

I love your rig. Give it a rest for a while and think about it in a couple weeks.
Well, the short list for replacement is a Land Rover LR3 or Jeep WK, so it would take quite a bit to get close to that with a Wrangler. I'm not even going to list it until I get back from Moab in early October, so I'll have some time to think it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Surfer View Post
Wow, Clint. This turned out awesome!! Sorry to hear you feel like you have to sell it after all that great work (I hope you change your mind).

By the way, did you ever find out if the LJ top will clear your rear rollbars when you fold it back? This never occured to me before.
I have no idea if it will fold back. Even if it did, it looks like it would be a pain. The LJ has a sunrider mode, so that works fine for me especially since I don't have a back seat or back seat passengers. When I wheel, I just take the whole top off.

Unread 08-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #458
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's a pretty drastic change of rides

If it were me. I think some mods to yours would be nice. Ditch the highlines for standard fenders or aev HL Hardtop or half cab with troop cage and lots of storage. Maybe fab up a rooftop tent

Def would be more capable and smoother riding offroad for the faster sections

And to fancy up the inside and quite it down. Dynamat the whole interior. Insulate the roof possibly with a headliner and get some nice seats with heaters haha

That would be my type of overland rig

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #459
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its your decision, but I say give it sometime before getting rid of it... Sounds like something I would personally regret in the end. With that said, I would totally take it off your hands if I didn't have to put myself through college

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #460
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
That's a pretty drastic change of rides

If it were me. I think some mods to yours would be nice. Ditch the highlines for standard fenders or aev HL Hardtop or half cab with troop cage and lots of storage. Maybe fab up a rooftop tent

Def would be more capable and smoother riding offroad for the faster sections

And to fancy up the inside and quite it down. Dynamat the whole interior. Insulate the roof possibly with a headliner and get some nice seats with heaters haha

That would be my type of overland rig
I was briefly pondering what it would take to get this to where it would really work for me.

1. Hardtop. Goes for around $1500, pretty rare around here.
2. AC. Around $1500
3. Lower to 2.5", 33" tires, stock fenders. $????
4. Sound deadening plus carpet. $???? Hard to say on the rear, since this isn't exactly an LJ.
5. Center console $150
6. Sway LOC $700
7. Gauges $600

After all that, I'm not really sure it would be exactly what I need. I would be trying to turn a Wrangler into something it's not. I started this build to "tame the beast" and somewhere along the way my "man" part of my brain built something bad *** that's impractical for my lifestyle.

After lots of research, something along the lines of a FJ Cruiser or 2nd gen Xterra is probably what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Its your decision, but I say give it sometime before getting rid of it... Sounds like something I would personally regret in the end. With that said, I would totally take it off your hands if I didn't have to put myself through college
It would be at least until after I get back from Moab before I list it. I say skip college and buy my rig!

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to try to get the Beast into the garage and do brake lines and start on the rocker protection.

Unread 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #461
aballas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
After lots of research, something along the lines of a FJ Cruiser or 2nd gen Xterra is probably what I'm after.
I used to own an FJ and loved it I still miss it.

They ride like a Cadillac compared to a Jeep, especially with the Toytec Ultimate 3" lift and some 285's... Really a great setup with a super active aftermarket community as well. (not to the extent of Jeep, but getting there).

If you go that route definitely look at a 2010+. They redesigned the inner fender wells in the engine bay which were notorious for bulging/tearing leading to things like the doors not opening/closing properly (happened to my 2007). Other than that they're pretty worry-free. Make sure it has the rear-diff e-locker (some of the base models didn't). A-TRAC is a plus too, but can be added on easily if you have the diff lock (just buy the switch) Get a kit to relocate the breathers on the rear axle, trans and t-case.... they sit a little low from the factory.

I'm still bummed to see you want to sell that beast of a Jeep though!
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #462
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas View Post
I used to own an FJ and loved it I still miss it.

They ride like a Cadillac compared to a Jeep, especially with the Toytec Ultimate 3" lift and some 285's... Really a great setup with a super active aftermarket community as well. (not to the extent of Jeep, but getting there).

If you go that route definitely look at a 2010+. They redesigned the inner fender wells in the engine bay which were notorious for bulging/tearing leading to things like the doors not opening/closing properly (happened to my 2007). Other than that they're pretty worry-free. Make sure it has the rear-diff e-locker (some of the base models didn't). A-TRAC is a plus too, but can be added on easily if you have the diff lock (just buy the switch) Get a kit to relocate the breathers on the rear axle, trans and t-case.... they sit a little low from the factory.

I'm still bummed to see you want to sell that beast of a Jeep though!
I would have to get a pretty good offer on my Jeep to be able to afford an FJ at all, so 2010+ would be out. I would just find one without a bulge and weld some reinforcement in the problem area.

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #463
aballas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would have to get a pretty good offer on my Jeep to be able to afford an FJ at all, so 2010+ would be out. I would just find one without a bulge and weld some reinforcement in the problem area.
That works too. I ended up doing that when I started having issues as well.

It's crazy how they hold their value, so understood on the 2010+... the pre '10's are 99% the same. I think the only difference is the fender-well, and the oil filter location (which is infinitely better on the 2007-2009).

Edit: Something else i thought of. The rear lower control arms are extremely weak. Very prone to bending on rocks. A lot of guys take them, cut off the stock ends, and weld them to some 1/4" DOM. I picked up a set like that, and got a lot of use out of them.

aballas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #464
cycleguy04

I was at the Toyata dealer in Tacoma one snowy afternoon and I very nearly bought a black FJ. Somehow my better senses kicked in and I bought a house instead. Oh, the joys of responsibility...

Now that I look back, I should have bought the FJ, by the time I would have payed it off is when housing prices were rock bottom. Damn...

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #465
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Screw FJ's.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.