Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 29 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #421
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Love this build. What motor and tranny is that? I missed it earlier. Your gas mileage IMPROVED from the 4 banger? O_O

GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #422
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
Love this build. What motor and tranny is that? I missed it earlier. Your gas mileage IMPROVED from the 4 banger? O_O
GM 5.3 Vortec and 4l60e. My gas mileage is way better that my 4.2/5 speed. I was getting 12-15, now im getting 18-23. My new mileage may not be totally accurate, Those numbers are using the Torque app over a 20 mile or so highway drive starting out in town and stopping in the next small town. I havent had the chance to run a full tank without some wheeling in there. And i'm having tank issues so I havent filled it all the way up for a while.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #423
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
GM 5.3 Vortec and 4l60e. My gas mileage is way better that my 4.2/5 speed. I was getting 12-15, now im getting 18-23. My new mileage may not be totally accurate, Those numbers are using the Torque app over a 20 mile or so highway drive starting out in town and stopping in the next small town. I havent had the chance to run a full tank without some wheeling in there. And i'm having tank issues so I havent filled it all the way up for a while.
THANKS! WOW! Would a 6.0 fit? How "hard" is this swap? I have been looking at Hemi motors as well...Those Vortecs last forever
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #424
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, a 6.0 is the same size as a 5.3 and 4.8 physically. Read through this build thread more, and read through mine in my sig. I wouldn't say it is "hard" as I don't have near the capabilities as Clint, and mine was driving to the exhaust shop in 3 months from pulling the engine out of the donor.

August YJOTM

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #425
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Somewhere in Central Oregon , or at least thats the job my name is attached to right now .
Beautiful country out there. You should rent a Jeep and get the "extra insurance".
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
Quote:
Yup. What he said. I was floored in 4th gear with the 4 banger to barely do 60 on the freeway. With the cheap as dirt 5.3, I was doing 90 going up a mountain pass with throttle to spare. I'm getting almost double the mileage if I behave myself.
Quote:
Yes, a 6.0 is the same size as a 5.3 and 4.8 physically. Read through this build thread more, and read through mine in my sig. I wouldn't say it is "hard" as I don't have near the capabilities as Clint, and mine was driving to the exhaust shop in 3 months from pulling the engine out of the donor.
The more you spend the easier the swap is. You can fab everything or buy everything or a combination of both. The 6.0 is the same swap, just more (like 3X more) expensive.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #426
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

The more you spend the easier the swap is. You can fab everything or buy everything or a combination of both. The 6.0 is the same swap, just more (like 3X more) expensive.
A 6.0 is a big improvement power wise over the 5.3, but you really will never need that much power in a Jeep unless you plan on bouncing it.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #427
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had an '01 2500 with the 6.0 and I wasnt impressed. It was my work truck while I owned the 1500 that my drivetrain came from. Not sure what it was but I just didn't feel the power increase with the bigger engine. I wouldnt keep up with the 5.3. Yeah it was in a heavier truck, I just expected a bit more...

August YJOTM

Unread 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #428
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
A 6.0 is a big improvement power wise over the 5.3, but you really will never need that much power in a Jeep unless you plan on bouncing it.
Depending on what 6.0 you are talking about, I'm not sure I would say it's a big improvement. Also, if you are swapping something more exciting than a 5.3 you need to starting thinking hard about everything behind it. Like the transmission, transfer case, drive lines, and axles. The 5.3 is a good compromise power wise and keeps you from having to swap to a one ton drive train to support it.
Quote:
I had an '01 2500 with the 6.0 and I wasnt impressed. It was my work truck while I owned the 1500 that my drivetrain came from. Not sure what it was but I just didn't feel the power increase with the bigger engine. I wouldnt keep up with the 5.3. Yeah it was in a heavier truck, I just expected a bit more...
I've never driven a 6.0, but the 1500 Silverado I had with the 5.3 was very quick for a truck.
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #429
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any v8 that actually makes decent power really needs more axle than any Dana 30/44 set up with 35s or bigger, and if 37s or bigger you got to toss the 231.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #430
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any v8 that actually makes decent power really needs more axle than any Dana 30/44 set up with 35s or bigger, and if 37s or bigger you got to toss the 231.
It depends on where you wheel, but a stock 5.3 with an auto and 35's and a D44 and D30 (alloy shafts) would be fine for anything less than a very aggressive driver or terrain where 35's are borderline. I would argue that this setup would be less stressful than a 5 speed 4.0 with a 4 to 1 transfer case in regards to axle strength.

I'm not sure I would toss the NP231 on 37's. They put the NP231HD behind 1/2 ton v8 powered trucks. I would imagine I would grenade a 1310 U joint before the transfer case on my setup.
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #431
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It depends on where you wheel, but a stock 5.3 with an auto and 35's and a D44 and D30 (alloy shafts) would be fine for anything less than a very aggressive driver or terrain where 35's are borderline. I would argue that this setup would be less stressful than a 5 speed 4.0 with a 4 to 1 transfer case in regards to axle strength.

I'm not sure I would toss the NP231 on 37's. They put the NP231HD behind 1/2 ton v8 powered trucks. I would imagine I would grenade a 1310 U joint before the transfer case on my setup.
And here I am, trying to keep my 3550 in place...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #432
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would argue that this setup would be less stressful than a 5 speed 4.0 with a 4 to 1 transfer case in regards to axle strength.
I'm with you on this one Clint. All these preconcieved "rules" about axle strength and power output are subjective. With an auto, I'd say that I put less stress on just about everything while wheeling. Also with more available power I think it is eaier to control. Though I'm still on 33's Im not worried about my D30 with an Aussie and stock shafts.

P.S. I saw your comment on the Metalcloak hate thread. I had no Idea you really felt that way

August YJOTM

Unread 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #433
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion

I'm with you on this one Clint. All these preconcieved "rules" about axle strength and power output are subjective. With an auto, I'd say that I put less stress on just about everything while wheeling. Also with more available power I think it is eaier to control. Though I'm still on 33's Im not worried about my D30 with an Aussie and stock shafts.

P.S. I saw your comment on the Metalcloak hate thread. I had no Idea you really felt that way

Preconceived rules about axle strength on this forum are all relative. Some people will tell you an xj hp 30 will hold up to 37s no matter how hard you wheel it, while others like me would never run a hair of a tire over a 35 on a 30, and even that would be pushing it for me.

I will say there are alot of factors to take in, but I stripped the ring and pinion out of my 30 on its 3rd trip out, that was enough for me to chunk it.

If I had more power with how I wheel on the east coast, trust me id use every ounce of it. As I tell everyone on the trail, it's much easier to drop your foot all the way down on the gas and focus on somewhat staying on the line than to try to play the gas while bouncing around.

Unread 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #434
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Preconceived rules about axle strength on this forum are all relative. Some people will tell you an xj hp 30 will hold up to 37s no matter how hard you wheel it, while others like me would never run a hair of a tire over a 35 on a 30, and even that would be pushing it for me.

I will say there are alot of factors to take in, but I stripped the ring and pinion out of my 30 on its 3rd trip out, that was enough for me to chunk it.

If I had more power with how I wheel on the east coast, trust me id use every ounce of it. As I tell everyone on the trail, it's much easier to drop your foot all the way down on the gas and focus on somewhat staying on the line than to try to play the gas while bouncing around.
That is true as well. It depends on where you wheel. granted mine is already high pinion, when I move up to 35s it may be a different story. Chromolys at a minimum. But I always try to keep wheel spin down and wheel smart vs hard. Sometimes it is nice to get on it though

August YJOTM

Unread 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #435
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
And here I am, trying to keep my 3550 in place...
I think you will be just fine with level headed driving. As nice as your rig is, I find it hard to believe you would beat on it hard enough to worry about a 5.3 with a manual behind it.
Quote:
Exactly. An auto reduces a lot of stress on the drive train.
Quote:
The design solves tire clearance issues, but I really hate the look of them. Sorry.
Quote:

Agreed. The axle strength threads are irritating because it depends on where you wheel and how you drive. Clearly your driving style and terrain is going to need a lot more strength than mine, although I was pretty hateful with mine last Sunday and nothing fell apart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.