Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #166
H3lzsn1p3r

looks good love the fit of the headers.

H3lzsn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #167
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3lzsn1p3r View Post
looks good love the fit of the headers.
Thanks. The headers are a perfect fit for the Novak mounts and for a Jeep TJ swap in general. They get out of the way very quickly.

I ordered up the rest of my exhaust system from Summit last night. Went with the Dynomax VT muffler. This is the one with the little flap in it that closes at low throttle to eliminate drone. Should definitely help tame the beast.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #168
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

Thanks. The headers are a perfect fit for the Novak mounts and for a Jeep TJ swap in general. They get out of the way very quickly.

I ordered up the rest of my exhaust system from Summit last night. Went with the Dynomax VT muffler. This is the one with the little flap in it that closes at low throttle to eliminate drone. Should definitely help tame the beast.
Eventually, you'll have a complete parts list for me.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #169
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Eventually, you'll have a complete parts list for me.
I can defiantly tell you what DOESN'T work. Fortunately this is a easy swap (for an engine swap) and the only issues I have had so far were because of changing things.

So far, I do highly recommend the Novak engine mounts and Sanderson headers.

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #170
H3lzsn1p3r

Quote:

are you keeping it 2.25" tubing or going 2.5 after muffler that would sound great with 3 inch tips I have used that muffler lots I do custom exhausts for people
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #171
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
are you keeping it 2.25" tubing or going 2.5 after muffler that would sound great with 3 inch tips I have used that muffler lots I do custom exhausts for people
Tips, plural? As in, more than one? Is there room for that?

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #172
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm going dual 2.25" then to a merge pipe to single 3". The muffler I bought is a center inlet / offset exit so I plan on having it exit right next to the passenger frame rail at an angle to lessen noise (hopefully).
Quote:
Tips, plural? As in, more than one? Is there room for that?
There is enough room to run dual exhaust down the passenger frame rail if you really wanted to. I didn't seen any benefit, and if I added a cat in the future I would have to add two. Plus you would need two mufflers, more piping, more fab time, and figure out a balance pipe as well.

I was also considering a single in dual out, or dual in and out muffler but couldn't see an advantage in that either.

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #173
H3lzsn1p3r

I have duals in my yj I have a custom split header for my 4L it sounds like a 6b cummins I love it here is a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJNKwRP_y4
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #174
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have duals in my yj I have a custom split header for my 4L it sounds like a 6b cummins I love it here is a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJNKwRP_y4
Nice, although a little loud for my "old" ears. I'm hoping to get some nice, drone free sound, and just enough tone at full throttle to give the immature side of me a smile. I think the VT muffler will do that.

In other news... A big milestone in this build.

NO JACKSTANDS

That's right. The Beast is now a big boy, and sitting on all fours. I just have to final weld the drag link, paint it, and put some bump stops in the front and I am DONE. (with the suspension)

With the Jeep on the tires, I now get a full 15" out of the front springs, which is exactly 3" of lift over stock. I only have 4" between the bump pads, so I think I'm going up to the 4" springs.

Also, another thing to add to the "buy list" is new front brake lines. The JK calipers put the brake line at the bottom of the caliper and my lines are just too short. Plus, the alignment bosses on the JK caliper have the line coming out to the rear of the Jeep, and not up. The stock JK brake line has a 90 degree bend to it right out of the banjo bolt. I'm not sure if I'm going to try to use the stock rubber JK line, or most probably just pony up the $100 for a set of braided lines.

Whatever it takes, I'm getting this Jeep in shape for a shake down run at the end of the month.

Unread 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #175
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Whatever it takes, I'm getting this Jeep in shape for a shake down run at the end of the month.
I like that enthusiasm; I also like those tires.

Unread 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #176
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like that enthusiasm; I also like those tires.
I'm not sure it's enthusiasm or delirium.

I like the tires too. Although I don't like the fact they weigh 500 pounds each, not super fun stacking them and un-stacking them. Also not super thrilled with how much weight it took to balance them.

I did air them down to 25psi before I put them on. One of them was inflated to about 80 psi, probably to seat the bead. That would have made for a stiff first ride.

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #177
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not sure it's enthusiasm or delirium.

I like the tires too. Although I don't like the fact they weigh 500 pounds each, not super fun stacking them and un-stacking them. Also not super thrilled with how much weight it took to balance them.

I did air them down to 25psi before I put them on. One of them was inflated to about 80 psi, probably to seat the bead. That' would have made for a stiff first ride.
That sounds exactly like my experience with them; they made up for it quickly.

Unread 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #178
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That sounds exactly like my experience with them; they made up for it quickly.
I'm hoping so. I do like the way they look, and we all know how important that is.

First thing this morning I had the intention of putting my driver's side fender back on. Then I caught a glimpse of my power steering cooler I bought a while back. I had intended to install it when I did the 5.3 swap, but the urge to drive the thing made me toss it into the "do later" bin. Well, there it was, begging me to put it on... It will only take a few minutes...

Hour and a half later I came up with this.

It fit well, and the clearance around the hoses is good. The cooler is actually a trans cooler off a ZJ Grand Cherokee that I snagged at a junkyard for $10 awhile back. It is a good size, stacked plate cooler that has the right sized connections and has 3 tapped mounting tabs. Perfect.

I started the body work today as well. Rough cut the corner guards and clamped them into place to make sure the back of the tub was square.

Then I put some 16 gauge in the bender and made myself a floor. I now have one, continuous floor in my Jeep!

I also put the engine compartment back together. It's oil, oil filter, and coolant away from running open headers. I also finally installed the horns. Very annoying to drive around without those.

I also made some measurements today. Looks like I'm sitting on a wheelbase of 108" and a belly height of 19". Should work nicely.

Unread 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #179
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good. Keep at it...

Unread 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #180
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice progress, subscribed!
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.