Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6 - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Taming the BEAST! 5.3L V8 Powered TJ-6

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #136
cycleguy04

You've fabbed a lot of stuff on this project. Why not just bolt a piece of 1/4" plate steel for the skid with and independent crossmember?

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #137
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
You've fabbed a lot of stuff on this project. Why not just bolt a piece of 1/4" plate steel for the skid with and independent crossmember?
If I was doing a flat skid plate I would have made it. I needed around 2" of drop, and for $120, the barnes 4x4 skid plate is a non decision. It would have cost me more in time and materials to make something like this that I can just bolt in place.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #138
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The original plan was to put the axle in about the stock location, maybe .5" forward. That way I could reuse my track bar and avoid removing the factory track bar bracket.

This is what it looked like. Not happy with the amount of uptravel I was getting or how close everything was to... Everything. So what if I move if forward 2 inches? Much better....

I gained at least 1.5" of up travel. I've read that removing the factory track bar bracket is a pain. That is absolutely correct. I can't believe how solid that sucker is attached to the frame. I killed two good cut off wheels, a 40 grit flap disk, and a set of consumables for my plasma. I was originally going to quit my job and start a business removing factory track bar brackets, but after this ordeal I think I'll stay where I'm at.

Of course in Jeep world, one change means you have to change 20 other things... So a call to Currie, Ballistic Fab, Poly Performance, and Amazon was made. I'll be making a track bar out of 1.5" .25" wall DOM with narrow body Johnny Joints at both ends. It will be double adjustable, so that should make adjustments very easy, and with the Ballistic hex inserts, keeping everything tight will be a snap. I also got Poly Performance's HD all metal TRE's and double adjuster inserts. 1.5" reamer from Amazon.

It's a Jeep thing, and I'm not sure I understand. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #139
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction ,or at least thats how I recall the quote . But I dont think Newton foresaw that Jeeps would shoot a hole in that theory
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #140
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
To every action there is always opposed an equal reaction ,or at least thats how I recall the quote . But I dont think Newton foresaw that Jeeps would shoot a hole in that theory
Jeeps use higher mathematics than were originally anticipated; it's best to abandon any hope of understanding them and simply buy what they require.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #141
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeeps are supernatural. That's the only explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Jeeps use higher mathematics than were originally anticipated; it's best to abandon any hope of understanding them and simply buy what they require.
I found that you can either buy what they require and do it right, or possibly die in a fireball of Jeep and nuns + school children.
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #142
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While this theory is sound , the wife unit doesnt work into that equation very well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I found that you can either buy what they require and do it right, or possibly die in a fireball of Jeep and nuns + school children.
Nuns and schoolchildren is rough ... I thought it was kittens and puppies ?
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #143
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While this theory is sound , the wife unit doesnt work into that equation very well .
That's one reason I stayed with the girlfriend unit and separate bank accounts.
Quote:
Nuns and schoolchildren is rough ... I thought it was kittens and puppies ?
I live in a real bad neighborhood.

On another note, anyone in the need for a Currie adjustable track bar? CE-9120TJS. Hardly used and won't work with my setup.
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #144
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most of my parts came in today except my Currie JJ's and headers. Headers will be here tomorrow. Went to track the JJ's and...

Mojave, CA, United States 05/21/2013 6:00 P.M. Train derailment.
Ontario, CA, United States 05/20/2013 10:47 P.M. Departure Scan
05/20/2013 9:10 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 05/20/2013 7:10 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Oh oh.. That can't be good. Hard to make that up, huh?
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #145
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats not a message you see every day ! Hopefully your parts don't get delayed for too long .
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #146
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Spouses of any denomination seem to often have a propensity to use fuzzy logic and imaginary numbers, I've found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Train derailment.
That's awesome. It sucks for parts delivery, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #147
ThatWhiteJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked out under cover fabs Lopro mount? It drops the transmission allowing for a tummy tuck without the need of body lift.
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #148
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats not a message you see every day ! Hopefully your parts don't get delayed for too long .
I've actually seen that message once before. I thought trains were supposed to be safe?

Quote:
That's awesome. It sucks for parts delivery, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless
I found a little news clip on it. Looks like a pretty big mess in a remote area. I'm not sure how long this is going to take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteJeep View Post
Have you checked out under cover fabs Lopro mount? It drops the transmission allowing for a tummy tuck without the need of body lift.
The transmission mount for the 4l60e is pretty flush with the bottom of the pan. With some work, I may have gotten away with a 1" drop. Barnes only had 3", 2", and flat, so I went with the 2". It hangs around as low as the rubicon express skid I had before, so I think I'll be ok.
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #149
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good news and bad news. My headers came, but they are very unfriendly with my motor mounts. I cut a bunch away to try to make it work, but it's not going to work without reworking both mounts completely. So, I'm going to do what I should have done originality and get the Novak (Sanderson) headers.

The Jeep knows when you are trying to save money, and will do anything in it's power to stop that from happening.

On a happy note, they scooped up my junk out of the overturned train and what is left will be here tomorrow.
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #150
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Made a call to Novak first thing this morning. They had a set of the Sanderson headers in stock. They are in Utah, so a quick two days via UPS unless a meteor hits a train, or a truck bursts into flames somewhere. With the holiday I should see it on Wednesday.

Getting closer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.