Tag: The Black TJ Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Tag: The Black TJ Rubicon

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tag: The '06 TJ Rubicon

Hello and welcome to my Build Thread. First of all let me start with some history. All of my vehicle I have ever owned have been Jeeps, and I imagine they all will be Jeeps after. I got my first one when I was 15 a '87 Blue Cherokee Laredo my mom bought it after she blew up the Toyota Privia. Well she blew the motor on the Cherokee and my dad and I were rebuilding the motor but it was just taking too long and I needed a vehicle. By then I was 19 and had gotten my drivers license. About three months later in February I got a '90 Cherokee Sport, it had been thoroughly abused from the motor stand point but it ran well. I lifted it and drove it till I paid it off from the lady I bought it from. The tranny was going on it and the rear main seal was failing so I sold it, and bought my first wrangler. a '00 TJ sport. I wished the whole time I owned the jeep I had waited and bought a Rubicon. Well this summer I went wheeling with my friends in July and got totally sick of my jeeps capabilities. I decided to cut my losses and got for the Rubicon. I found one that I liked. So here I sit know. three months after I bought the Black Jeep Tag. I called him Tag because I tend to tag along after everyone in it. A lot of my friends have sports cars and I always go so much slower than then no matter where I go. Hence the name Tag. Well enough of this typing on with the photos!

Tag the day after I brought him home.

day two I had swapped wheels and tires. I never liked those Mickey Thompson Rims. There is a comparison

The next weekend (I work weekends so tuesday/wednesday) I decided to repaint the front and rear bumpers I saved from my other jeep. I had my brother weld the ICe fracture in the support so I would not have the same trouble. Words of advice do not loose the top cap on the Warn Rear tire carrier.

I installed them not long after that

I had to buy a new tonneau cover and bikini top and the half doors I bought and LOVE THEM!!!!

Finally sold these

I Installed my CB Finally! I have had it since march and never touched it

I installed my Air compressor and need to take some photos. I got caught up building my new replacement computer during all this.

I have a strong dislike for chrome on my jeep so I covered the last bit I had by Painting the Bezels

Stay tuned. I have a Warn M8000 Winch in my living room to install, Currie upper and lower control arms to get installed and the Curried HD steering kit. I also have to figure out (If its not either of those things) why when braking at speed my steering shimmy's. Not consistently either.

Future modification plans include. 35's, Long arms (possibly), Corner armor, tummy tuck, higher lift, Bed liner for convenience sake. Maybe the Currie Anti rock Sway bar. And one for the rear as well, that is intense when on the freeway. I am not liking the Skyjacker quick disconnects.

Tag: The TJ Rubicon

My XJ build thread NO longer updated
samiam2714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
karlo

Looking great. Nice job.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you

Unread 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Prryan45
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Jeep.
Prryan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So I got a picture of my Air Compressor. I have not had a chance to test it out yet but I am hoping soon.

I installed my winch today. It was only a small pain in the butt. Mostly My neighbors interrupted me the most.

Here is it after I lifted the whole plate winc hand fairlead back onto the bumper. It is mighty heavy. I am stronger than I thought.

After some wire fiddling and relocation I got it all done

Unread 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to Install my Currie HD Steering today. It went well all the crown bolts come off nicely the cotter pins weren't a pain in the butt as much as I expected. The real pain was getting the tie rodd off the pitman arm. I had to go to napa in town and get a wedge that was meant for the right size. Well after all that I found this before I installed the new rods.

My upper control arm mount is all bent. Going to have to replace that. Any one got a place to find the brackets ready to weld on.

Old Tiny bars

New more beefy

Unread 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam2714 View Post

My upper control arm mount is all bent. Going to have to replace that. Any one got a place to find the brackets ready to weld on.

Looks like a good time to go ahead and install the JJ conversion kit on the front axle.
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I just found that online and figured out how it works I will be ordering that on friday and then installing my Currie control arms I've had in the garage soon after that.

Unread 11-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well a bit of adventuring and some parts installed I thought to update This.

Among many things we went to the Grand Sierra resort and played Laser tag for my friends birthday.

I did end up purchasing the Rear anti-rock and the front johnny joints. I had then installed at Blacks R&R.

Well I can say now I have zero regrets about having it installed and purchasing the product. The Jeep ride is awesome. Now I just need four new shocks and I am all set.

Blown up shock

New front upper control arm mount (no point in taking a pic of the other side you cant see anything

Unread 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Continued!!

I also went on the sunday HLT (hunter Lake trail) run with the guys from Reno 4x4 it was nice to hit the trail for probably the last time this year. Here are some pics. The first are of where the caughlin fire started they are saying it was started by sparking power lines. Some of the guys said the saw lights on the hill like some one was wheeling at night. I hope this was not the case as it just makes a bad name for the rest of us.

Here is a link of where we went with some photos from another guys who went with us.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6388/img3051t.jpg

The first recovery of the day was this truck he almost made it one size bigger tires would have done it.

Do not try at home I was rolling at about a half a mile and hour

Made it safe landing

One thing I did learn while on this trip. the Skyjacker quick disconnects are B***s***. Do not buy them EVER!!! most pain in the butt I have every had.

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got Some up dates, and photo's.

New shiny Shocks for the front and rear

The old shock was so dead, my friend 10 year old could move it.

My Brother did the install because my back was all messed up.

Aren't they purdy. I put on the currie rear shock relocators. We decided I didn't need the bar pin eliminators. So they are sitting on my work bench. If your interested let me know.

So I have a vague plan laid out in front of me for this. I will be installing the Under Cover fab works Ultra High clearance Skid with their Lo-Pro tranny mount. Combined with the Body lift and Motor mount Lift. with give me way more clearance underneath. I will also do the Tom Woods Dde shaft at the same time.

Following that I will Purchase the Metal Cloak Armor. Tube fenders Rock rails and Rear corner armor. It is definitely going to take me a while to gather funds for all of that but Maybe by next July I will have it.

After that, the future if murky. I can do a lot of things. Swap in 35's and go with it. Up the gears in the axle to keep the driving quality. Or I can go 37's and do the gears also. For the larger Tires I am totally torn between the Mickey Thompson MTZ's or the BFG KM2's.

You guys have some input on any of this?

Unread 12-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #12
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Rubi!

Question, are the shocks on upside down? The 4 Bilstein 5100s on my Jeep are the reverse of yours - dust caps on top. Might be worth checking into.
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
AngryTJ
Dreamin of Moab

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Love the black Rubis!

I have had KM2s and currently running the MTZs which I like more both on and offroad.
AngryTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
samiam2714
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes and no on the upside down question. That was the only way they would go. I know I ordered the right ones I double checked the numbers on their web site. The bar pin was on the up side so that is the way I put them on. Also the lettering is the right way up like that.

I have been back and forth on the tires I think i will stick with the mtz on this decision.

Unread 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
bbusch
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The rig looks good! I don't think I have seen it around yet but I am sure in time I will. I have the rear Currie Antirock as well but have not installed it yet because my rear Nth shock shifters won't allow the bracket to weld on as advertised. If I see yours around I'm gonna check out your rear ar. Where is that shop located that installed it for you?

My Rig

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1072569/
bbusch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.