Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tag: The Black TJ Rubicon

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  samiam2714 
#1 ·
Tag: The '06 TJ Rubicon

ALL OF MY PHOTO LINKS DIED SO I HAVE THEM ALL IN A GOOGLE PHOTOS ALBUM - HERE IS THE LINK

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GXPT6e2zC76owQ8z5

Hello and welcome to my Build Thread. First of all let me start with some history. All of my vehicle I have ever owned have been Jeeps, and I imagine they all will be Jeeps after. I got my first one when I was 15 a '87 Blue Cherokee Laredo my mom bought it after she blew up the Toyota Privia. Well she blew the motor on the Cherokee and my dad and I were rebuilding the motor but it was just taking too long and I needed a vehicle. By then I was 19 and had gotten my drivers license. About three months later in February I got a '90 Cherokee Sport, it had been thoroughly abused from the motor stand point but it ran well. I lifted it and drove it till I paid it off from the lady I bought it from. The tranny was going on it and the rear main seal was failing so I sold it, and bought my first wrangler. a '00 TJ sport. I wished the whole time I owned the jeep I had waited and bought a Rubicon. Well this summer I went wheeling with my friends in July and got totally sick of my jeeps capabilities. I decided to cut my losses and got for the Rubicon. I found one that I liked. So here I sit know. three months after I bought the Black Jeep Tag. I called him Tag because I tend to tag along after everyone in it. A lot of my friends have sports cars and I always go so much slower than then no matter where I go. Hence the name Tag. Well enough of this typing on with the photos!

Tag the day after I brought him home.

day two I had swapped wheels and tires. I never liked those Mickey Thompson Rims. There is a comparison

The next weekend (I work weekends so tuesday/wednesday) I decided to repaint the front and rear bumpers I saved from my other jeep. I had my brother weld the ICe fracture in the support so I would not have the same trouble. Words of advice do not loose the top cap on the Warn Rear tire carrier.

I installed them not long after that

I had to buy a new tonneau cover and bikini top and the half doors I bought and LOVE THEM!!!!

Finally sold these

I Installed my CB Finally! I have had it since march and never touched it

I installed my Air compressor and need to take some photos. I got caught up building my new replacement computer during all this.

I have a strong dislike for chrome on my jeep so I covered the last bit I had by Painting the Bezels

Stay tuned. I have a Warn M8000 Winch in my living room to install, Currie upper and lower control arms to get installed and the Curried HD steering kit. I also have to figure out (If its not either of those things) why when braking at speed my steering shimmy's. Not consistently either.

Future modification plans include. 35's, Long arms (possibly), Corner armor, tummy tuck, higher lift, Bed liner for convenience sake. Maybe the Currie Anti rock Sway bar. And one for the rear as well, that is intense when on the freeway. I am not liking the Skyjacker quick disconnects.

See less See more
#5 ·
So I got a picture of my Air Compressor. I have not had a chance to test it out yet but I am hoping soon.

I installed my winch today. It was only a small pain in the butt. Mostly My neighbors interrupted me the most.

Here is it after I lifted the whole plate winc hand fairlead back onto the bumper. It is mighty heavy. I am stronger than I thought.

After some wire fiddling and relocation I got it all done

#6 ·
I decided to Install my Currie HD Steering today. It went well all the crown bolts come off nicely the cotter pins weren't a pain in the butt as much as I expected. The real pain was getting the tie rodd off the pitman arm. I had to go to napa in town and get a wedge that was meant for the right size. Well after all that I found this before I installed the new rods.

My upper control arm mount is all bent. Going to have to replace that. Any one got a place to find the brackets ready to weld on.

Old Tiny bars

New more beefy

#9 ·
Well a bit of adventuring and some parts installed I thought to update This.

Among many things we went to the Grand Sierra resort and played Laser tag for my friends birthday.

I did end up purchasing the Rear anti-rock and the front johnny joints. I had then installed at Blacks R&R.

Well I can say now I have zero regrets about having it installed and purchasing the product. The Jeep ride is awesome. Now I just need four new shocks and I am all set.

Blown up shock

New front upper control arm mount (no point in taking a pic of the other side you cant see anything

#10 ·
Continued!!

I also went on the sunday HLT (hunter Lake trail) run with the guys from Reno 4x4 it was nice to hit the trail for probably the last time this year. Here are some pics. The first are of where the caughlin fire started they are saying it was started by sparking power lines. Some of the guys said the saw lights on the hill like some one was wheeling at night. I hope this was not the case as it just makes a bad name for the rest of us.

Here is a link of where we went with some photos from another guys who went with us.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6388/img3051t.jpg

The first recovery of the day was this truck he almost made it one size bigger tires would have done it.

Do not try at home I was rolling at about a half a mile and hour

Made it safe landing

One thing I did learn while on this trip. the Skyjacker quick disconnects are B***s***. Do not buy them EVER!!! most pain in the butt I have every had.

#11 ·
I got Some up dates, and photo's.

New shiny Shocks for the front and rear

The old shock was so dead, my friend 10 year old could move it.

My Brother did the install because my back was all messed up.

Aren't they purdy. I put on the currie rear shock relocators. We decided I didn't need the bar pin eliminators. So they are sitting on my work bench. If your interested let me know.

So I have a vague plan laid out in front of me for this. I will be installing the Under Cover fab works Ultra High clearance Skid with their Lo-Pro tranny mount. Combined with the Body lift and Motor mount Lift. with give me way more clearance underneath. I will also do the Tom Woods Dde shaft at the same time.

Following that I will Purchase the Metal Cloak Armor. Tube fenders Rock rails and Rear corner armor. It is definitely going to take me a while to gather funds for all of that but Maybe by next July I will have it.

After that, the future if murky. I can do a lot of things. Swap in 35's and go with it. Up the gears in the axle to keep the driving quality. Or I can go 37's and do the gears also. For the larger Tires I am totally torn between the Mickey Thompson MTZ's or the BFG KM2's.

You guys have some input on any of this?

#14 ·
Yes and no on the upside down question. That was the only way they would go. I know I ordered the right ones I double checked the numbers on their web site. The bar pin was on the up side so that is the way I put them on. Also the lettering is the right way up like that.

I have been back and forth on the tires I think i will stick with the mtz on this decision.

#15 ·
The rig looks good! I don't think I have seen it around yet but I am sure in time I will. I have the rear Currie Antirock as well but have not installed it yet because my rear Nth shock shifters won't allow the bracket to weld on as advertised. If I see yours around I'm gonna check out your rear ar. Where is that shop located that installed it for you?

#16 ·
Its down in Gardnerville. Almost out of town in the industrial park Black r&r

*Insert obligatory Jeep update here*
(failed see below)

I didn;t do much of any work during the winter. I put some paint of my new tummy tuck skid and Installed my Front anti rock. I like the way the Jeep drives with it one. I put the links on the center hole.

*pics after work*

#17 ·
Its been a sad, stressful, aggravating, fun, and so many other adjectives, summer. Sad stands out most.

Since December I have finally installed my front anti-rock, I haven't taken it wheeling yet but it was an easy install only took about an hour, and i drives great on the road.

I also installed my tummy tuck. I went with the mid tuck, and the Lo Pro mount initially. I recently switched back to the OEM mount because the Lo-pro was just not solid enough. It allowed the tranny, transfercase and Drive shaft to shift to the right while making left hand turns and making a horrible noise. After I switched back its quiet and solid again. I did however have to space the skid down and inch so now I have a 1.5" tuck instead of 2.5 which is ok.

Install went fairly easy

I had to relocate the two locker pumps. If you buy the bracket from him please if you figure out a better way let me know I just drilled it out and screwed them down.

I also need to adjust my steering the lines red and yellow are the current trackbar and draglink angles the blue is where the drag link needs to go so I have to put the stock Pitman arm on I have sitting next to my laundry basket.

That is all for now. I the near future I am purchasing a full kit of Metalcloak armor. That's arched fenders 6" flares, rocker armor, rear full corner armor, gas tank skid, and steering skid I keep missing their free shipping deals though so it will be a trip down to sac to pick up since I am not paying 300$ to ship them to my house. I also have a monsta liner bed coating kit in black coming it will be here Friday. Work on that can't happen till I get back from the scramble. I am going to do the whole interior since mine is currently wearing through the very thing paint job. Anyone else notice how thin the paint job on the interior at least the driver tub area.

Well for those who are reading, I wanted to say I hope you had a good summer if you are heading up the Rubicon we'll meet you at the dirty dozen. if you aren't have a good rest of the year.

#18 ·
WOW!!! I haven't updated my build thread in three years. A lot has changed in that time. I got promoted at work (10/27/14). The other supervisor got fired (7/21/14). The summer from hell (2013) happened. My Sis got married (9/6/14). My dad passed away (11/14/14). I got a doggie (12/3/14). My summer started early due to a drought (2/25/14) official start of the busiest summer on record for my department. 51% of my people are new its very interesting having to teach everything to everyone when there is not time to do so. I picked up a '02 dodge cummins to be able to tow my jeep if I want and also I like my truck almost as much as the Jeep. I will be finishing my degree in the next couple of years as well. Weird I'm 29 and never thought that would happen.

In and amongst all that time I've only gone camping three times. I got to do the Tahoe side of the rubicon and the sierra valley twice. After the rubicon I purchased my new tires. I did end up going with the Baja MTZ 315/75/16 they are totally amazing in the rock and decent in the snow better if i had them sipped (SP?).

I installed the Riddler differential guards on the way out of the 'con I nicked a rock and started to loose one drip every park job of fluid so it was a perfect time for that.

I picked up aa cover for my winch that is totally worth it. Since I have yet to actually use my winch. it keeps it looking not bad at all.

At this moment I just finished installing my new Metalcloak aluminum arched fenders on the front of my jeep, and the aluminum corner armor. I am installing the rockers tomorrow or the next day. The flares may need to wait due to an amazing pollen season.

I also picked up the Rugged ridge mirrors I'll report back on those. I got tired of remounting my stock mirrors on those dumb brackets they just vibrate and I can't see anything any ways.

Photos to follow:

#20 ·
Okay its been four years now. :surprise: Some jeep update is necessary I believe. After some long a serious research and deliberation I finally decided. the jeep would not be receiving tire larger than 35's. I can wheel the Rubicon, Fordyce and a bunch of the other trails with that equipment. With that in mind I had gears on the brain. I decided to go with revolution gear 4.88 gears and chromoly axles. It was a great decision and something I should have done many years ago, but the money just wasn't there, heck it took fours years to save up for it.

I did that this year, but last summer I upgraded my warn rear bumper to a Metal cloak rear bumper with the high lift mount and I installed a carrier for the Powertank. I am also the proud owner of two soft tops for my rig. Circumstances last fall required me to replace the frame for my old soft top, and because Im a dumba$$ i had to buy the new topper too. The story is I bought the twill top for the jeep winter/fall of 2017. I replaced my old crusty top with the twill almost too late in the fall getting on into winter. the new top was awesome! seriously the will was great. BUT the rear window was made an inch too narrow. by simple luck I managed to get it all buttoned up and zippered. in the spring of 2018 I took it of as you do for topless summer wheeling. I went to put the thing back on in the fall of '18 and couldn't for the life of me get it zipped. the zipper metal had bent over the course of the winter before. It wasn't going to close. I contacted Bestop and they were totally great. they sent me a new main top, but it was 8 weeks out. It was the end of October. I didn't have that much time to wait for a top. snow was coming and I'd been under 4-12 feet in a few weeks. Some of you are hardly souls, but I work outside and prefer to be dry while going to a from other places, plus my dog rides and stays with me where ever I go. she couldn't stay i the jeep in a blizzard with no top. (Trust me on this she would rather be in the jeep or my truck than home) hence the reason I bought an entirely new top. It was a great decision. The frame on my old top was totally messed up in comparison. In the long term it was a good decision. The replacement top was a duplicate of the original material and shed snow so much better.

I also picked up a small square drop trailer this past summer. It may have been a mistake but I like it and that's all that really matters. its an Off Grid, Expedition 2.0 with the blue mtn wrap. Its an awesome piece of equipment. Dry it weights in at 1800lbs. So the jeep can tow it if I pack correctly, but since I mostly go to CA for camping I need the controller so I don't get a ticket.

other mods in the works -

- New stereo
- wrap or bed liner the hood
- install replacement driver seat
- Dual battery setup
- Trailer brake controller (Needs to be soon)

Current Wish List

- 15" or 17" Bead lock rims haven't decided on this yet it will likely be 17's
-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.