SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > SuperWade2's TJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #91
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

oh yeah. getting those mt/r's was crazy.

Just curious, why did you decide to go with the johnny joints?

Unread 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #92
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Just curious, why did you decide to go with the johnny joints?
The original rubber bushings were getting pretty worn out. The HPD30 was a swap from either a 93 or 94 Cherokee (per the guy that gave it too me), and I'm guessing the bushing was original, so they were "due" for something. I've had it for less than 2 years, I think it sat in the guys yard for at least a few years before it was given to me.

I'm not 100% sure, but after doing some bigger articulation that I had in the past a couple weeks ago, I think I felt what people describe as suspension binding. There could have been other circumstances (shocks maybe), but I felt there were a couple times that things weren't quite as flexy at the axle side of the suspension as I expected. I could be talking out of my butt (wouldn't be the first time) but I caught myself a couple times thinking "that sure doesn't feel quite right". Generally, I wasn't in a spot that I could hop out and crawl under, so I just kept going thru the trail.

Also after reading a bunch of old threads on here the other night, it seemed the discussion from folks who I believe know what they are talking about spoke to the benefits of having the Johnny Joints on the axle side, even for those people without JJ's on the frame side (like my RE Long Arms).

Lastly, I talked to MrBlaine the other day about what my plans were for "fixing up" my Front axle were, while this didn't come up specifically, I'd like to think he'd tell me if it wasn't a good idea for my rig. Even though I'm pretty sure I annoy him much of the time and I've been on an off his "ignore list" a couple times, I have no doubts he has a good handle for what works very well when it comes to these things.

I know some people would rather spend the money on replacement rubber bushings (potentially over and over) than spend more money on this JJ Kit, but I figured while I have the axle out of the rig and it's getting a "tune-up" that I'd go ahead and try to resolve one more potential issue.

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #93
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did the JJ housing conversion come with a template or some instructions/hints for positioning the joints, or is it something they recommend to just eyeball and burn-in?
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #94
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Did the JJ housing conversion come with a template or some instructions/hints for positioning the joints, or is it something they recommend to just eyeball and burn-in?
Dunno....will tell you when Gerald sends it to me next week...

Per the PDF...http://www.currieenterprises.com/ins...ts/9102Kft.pdf
"Now to the passenger side – you will need to remove the upper arm. You will need to cut the top of the factory housing bracket off level with the ground 2 ½” above the top of the axle tube. You will then take the 1" thick steel Currie piece with Johnny Joint installed and insert it into the existing bracket base. This may require a mallet to fully seat the Currie piece into the base. Now you will want to reinstall you upper control arm using the supplied 7/16" greasable bolt. At this time – with the weight on the vehicle - if you have any suspension bind or misalignment you can fine tune it to some degree by moving the new Currie mount around slightly if necessary. When you are satisfied with the fit and finish, you will weld around the 3 sides of the factory bracket base where it contacts the new Currie piece. Also you will want to weld along the 1" thick front facing edge of the Currie piece where it contacts the front end housing tube. This is all the welding that is necessary – do not do any further welding on the housing. This is one of the advantages of this kit – by using the stock bracket base you do not have to worry about welding on the actual housing and causing warpage because you are welding to the bracket base that is already welded to the tube."
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #95
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect! Thank you.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #96
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, if you have a membership or a friend with one you might try Sam's club. They could have a set back in a warehouse somewhere. That is where I got mine.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #97
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Treaddepot.com says they have a SINGLE MT/R with kevlar in stock. It is a 35x12.50x15...FWIW.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #98
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
Treaddepot.com says they have a SINGLE MT/R with kevlar in stock. It is a 35x12.50x15...FWIW.
TireRack had some available somewhere back east, Tennessee or something...would have been $250 to get em shipped, none in Nevada, and Discounttire still had none.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #99
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
TireRack had some available somewhere back east, Tennessee or something...would have been $250 to get em shipped, none in Nevada, and Discounttire still had none.
In my quest for an old style MT/R I am keeping my eye out for the Kevlar ones...

There is a local place near me that has them...but again, not sure on shipping.

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #100
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In my quest for an old style MT/R I am keeping my eye out for the Kevlar ones...

There is a local place near me that has them...but again, not sure on shipping.
That's OK, I have to pay for all the Front End stuff first... I hope to get this fixed up and maybe look at getting tires before summer time.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #101
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just an FYI - I bought a set of 4 35x12.5r15 Kevlar MT/Rs last week from discounttiredirect.com. I should have them tomorow. The sales rep said these were 4 of only 6 they had available nationwide. They had just come in so I guess my timing was good!
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #102
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
That's OK, I have to pay for all the Front End stuff first... I hope to get this fixed up and maybe look at getting tires before summer time.
lol well that is only a few months away!!!

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #103
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lol well that is only a few months away!!!
Well yah.... It's probably going to take me a month to put my front end back together... I'm pretty slow and work by myself for the most part, usually in the evening's after I get my kids to bed if the wife is working.

My club does a run to the Rubicon in July that I'd like hit and Niagara Rim in June for a nice easy "family" camping trip.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #104
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with America's tire... my new set of Goodyear MTR/Kevlar 35x12.5r15's will be picked up on Saturday... I'm not going to have them install em since the rig is in parts and I have no way to get my old wheels and tires there, and get my existing tires back home in 1 trip so I can sell em on Craigslist (it's about a 30 minute drive each way).

I hope I can fit 5 tires in the back of my Shortbed Comanche to bring home!!!

Sales Tax kind of sucks, but I wasn't having any luck getting them online (had just got off the phone with DiscountTireDirect again and the guy laughed when I told him what I was looking for and said maybe by summer they would have em.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #105
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

did you talk to Gerald about those rub rails?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.